Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Next Bond ... James Bond ?

Bogie56

And thus perhaps offering up the idea here that even an average looking young man owning of an average build, and a guy who would otherwise be well-cast as a young lawyer (ahem, I guess "barrister" in this case) fresh out of law school, can one day come to play James Bond in the 21st Century, eh?!

Well, as long as they at least have a British accent, of course.

(...guess I'm not seein' it here, huh)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

A fan's trailer

Well, I hope not.  Hiddleston's name has come up for the past several years as a possible future Bond. He's been on the record as saying he's like to do it.  But I just don't see it.  I'm hoping they'll find someone lesser known to take over as Bond.  Also, I'd like  someone not already associated with a film franchise.  Hiddleston is Loki in the Marvel movies.

IMO, James Bond should be laid to rest. His license has expired and code number should be retired; his style, image, and mission are relics from another era and no longer have a place in 21st century cinema (which isn't good enough for him and doesn't deserve him). For me, 007 died when Sean Connery left the series (although I am fond of On Her Majesty's Secret Service and like George Lazenby as Bond). From Roger Moore's breezy lightweight to Daniel Craig's thewy gargoyle, the old boy has been dying a long, slow, shameful, and (for me) painful death.

Time to hang it up, JB!

"Do you expect me to walk?"

ab07aeaf392f4a48dbf4abe490003696998e692b

"No, Mr. Bond! I expect you to die!"

• Like 4

Yep, Cavill I'm buyin' here. Definitely has the looks and the physicality to pull it off.

My only reservation with him would be that I've always found him to be a rather bland actor.

(...and now Bogie, have you any of these with Idris Elba?...I know there's been talk of him as Bond for years now, and so I'd to see how he might be as 007)

• Like 1

I never saw Daniel Craig as Bond, and I can't see this Hiddleston cat for the same reason.  From Fleming's books I get the notion that James Bond was a "devilishly handsome"  lady killer type of man.  And no woman I know who's familiar with the movie history of Bond thought of Craig as even "sort of" good looking. 

I can go along with Cavill as Bond but unlike Darg, I don't think him as bland an actor as Timothy Dalton.  And there's those who thought HE was a good bond.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

IMO, James Bond should be laid to rest. His license has expired and code number should be retired; his style, image, and mission are relics from another era and no longer have a place in 21st century cinema (which isn't good enough for him and doesn't deserve him). For me, 007 died when Sean Connery left the series (although I am fond of On Her Majesty's Secret Service and like George Lazenby as Bond). From Roger Moore's breezy lightweight to Daniel Craig's thewy gargoyle, the old boy has been dying a long, slow, shameful, and (for me) painful death.

Time to hang it up, JB!

"Do you expect me to walk?"

ab07aeaf392f4a48dbf4abe490003696998e692b

"No, Mr. Bond! I expect you to die!"

There's a Couple Directors out there today, (that) it'd be interesting imo to see their interpretation and telling of the story.

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I never saw Daniel Craig as Bond, and I can't see this Hiddleston cat for the same reason.  From Fleming's books I get the notion that James Bond was a "devilishly handsome"  lady killer type of man . . .

How about this chap? Fleming's initial conception of James Bond. "Devilishly  handsome" enough for you?

hoagy-carmichael-james-bond.jpg?resize=800,1000

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hellzapoppin said:

Well, I hope not.  Hiddleston's name has come up for the past several years as a possible future Bond. He's been on the record as saying he's like to do it.  But I just don't see it.  I'm hoping they'll find someone lesser known to take over as Bond.  Also, I'd like  someone not already associated with a film franchise.  Hiddleston is Loki in the Marvel movies.

just be glad it's not henry golding

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I never saw Daniel Craig as Bond, and I can't see this Hiddleston cat for the same reason.  From Fleming's books I get the notion that James Bond was a "devilishly handsome"  lady killer type of man.  And no woman I know who's familiar with the movie history of Bond thought of Craig as even "sort of" good looking. 

I can go along with Cavill as Bond but unlike Darg, I don't think him as bland an actor as Timothy Dalton.  And there's those who thought HE was a good bond.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

fleming likened his bond to hoagy charmichael

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Btw Bogie, for years now I've thought Clive Owen would've been well cast for this, but he might now days be just a bit too old for it.

I agree with you about Owen but as you say he's too old now at 57.

Clive Owen, the Best James Bond Who Never Was

• Like 1

I always thought that in his prime years this actor could have been a marvelous Bond. He had looks, charisma, personality, could play scenes for humourous effect and was convincing as a man of action.

Errol Flynn – Whimsically Classic

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

How about this chap? Fleming's initial conception of James Bond. "Devilishly  handsome" enough for you?

Ha Ha!

Apparently Fleming thought so.  But I don't recall Bond playing the piano and pounding out tunes in any Bond book.    I dunno.....   Maybe Ian pictured Bond serenading Moneypenny with this-----

;)  Sepiatone

As I mentioned in the other thread about this, the producers are reportedly looking to cast someone in their late 20's/early 30's, in hopes of keeping them around longer. So many of the ones mentioned have aged out, including Clive Owen and Jason Statham. 

One of Fleming's chief inspirations for the character was his cousin:

12lee-3-obit-jumbo.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

This got me to thinking here, EPM.

I can't recall of any of the movies (11)--and surpringly after looking up his IMDb filmography the number of TV  shows he appearded in (13)--of Hoagy ever "getting the girl" in any of them. 

And so maybe he wasn't "devilishly handsome" enough in this regard.

(...still though, I've always gotten the idea that he'd sure be the life of any party he ever attended, anyway)

Hoagy might have been an effective spy in real life, playing the piano, mixing in with the club crowds and scooping any information he could gain in between renditions of Ole Buttermilk Sky, Stardust and Georgia On My Mind. Mind you, I don't know how much spies hung out in night clubs for there to be any information to gain.

Hoagy Carmichael – Indiana University Cinema

"So sit down and relax a while. Listen to my song. Hear any nuclear secrets?"