Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When There Used To Be Stars Of The Golden Era At The Academy Awards

TomJH

This is the reason I used to watch the Academy Awards - for those glimpses of stars of the Golden Era who were still with us. This clip of the opening ceremony for the 1967 Oscars is a prime illustration of many of the legends of the past all dolled up for the Big Event of the year in the film capital. Sadly, not many of these names are still with us today so consider this a nostalgic look, for some of us, at least, at what once was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Saaay, that wouldn't have been B9 the robot doin' the announcing there, would it Tom???  

Yep, sure sounded like Dick Tufeld to me, alright. ;)

(..and who you might also remember was the announcer for the old Hollywood Palace variety show)

I miss the Honorary Awards for life achievement, they don't televise them anymore. I liked the showing of film clips and the honoree comes out some music from one of their films. 

I remember Deborah Kerr back in 1994, she came out to "Shall We Dance" from The King And I. There was the standing ovation (Daniel Day Lewis was one them standing and applauding).

I am not sure but I think one of the last televised was Peter O'Toole in 2003. He had lost the competitive award 7 times, walked out to the theme music from Lawrence Of Arabia and the first thing he said was "Always a bridesmaid never a bride, my foot!"

• Like 5

3 hours ago, laffite said:

Academy Award trivia :

What did David Niven say when a streaker ran around the stage while Niven was at the podium speaking

Something along the lines of "There's a man not afraid to show his shortcomings."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, laffite said:

Academy Award trivia :

What did David Niven say when a streaker ran around the stage while Niven was at the podium speaking

Something along the lines of "There's a man not afraid to show his shortcomings."

HEY! I remember once streaking a party about the same time this happened!

Well, it WAS all the rage at the time, ya know.

(...and I'm not braggin' here mind you, but if the quick-witted Niven has been at that party, he couldn't have used that line on me...legitimately, anyway)

12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

HEY! I remember once streaking a party about the same time this happened!

Well, it WAS all the rage at the time, ya know.

(...and I'm not braggin' here mind you, but if the quick-witted Niven has been at that party, he couldn't have used that line on me...legitimately, anyway)

Milton Berle, it is said, was once challenged to the type of contest to which you ... allewd. He said, "I'll only show enough to win."

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Milton Berle, it is said, was once challenged to the type of contest to which you ... allewd. He said, "I'll only show enough to win."

Then as you probably also know here Dan, it was rumored that Uncle Miltie was  pretty "well equipped" in these regards.

(...btw, loved the "allewd" pun here)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Then as you probably also know here Dan, it was rumored that Uncle Miltie was  pretty "well equipped" in these regards.

(...btw, loved the "allewd" pun here)

The less said the better, I think. I've already run afoul of the censors today with a post of a page from Leaves of Grass. (And man do I have a pun on that. 

On 8/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, LuckyDan said:

The less said the better, I think. I've already run afoul of the censors today with a post of a page from Leaves of Grass. (And man do I have a pun on that. 

Well, at least you've never started a "Cheesecake" thread around here anyway, RIGHT?!  ;) 

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, at least you've started a "Cheesecake" thread around here anyway, RIGHT?!  ;) 

I had one on Bardot years ago. I put it in Foreign Films and I was never bothered with takedowns. It didn't get much traffic but times were less restrictive then, here and generally. 

PS: Back then I posted links from a photobucket account. Then one day I noticed some of my pics had been removed from there and I thought I'd been hacked. Suddenly blanks showed up in my Bardot thread. It was Photobucket not TCM who objected. 

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I had one on Bardot years ago. I put it in Foreign Films and I was never bothered with takedowns. It didn't get much traffic but times were less restrictive then, here and generally. 

Seems to be true, alright. The last nine words in your post here, that is.

But ya know, people's feelings are SO very important in today's world and we certainly should never risk upsetting those feelings at all.  ;)

LOL

(...okay, and now it's time to get back to the topic of: "Why, I remember when them there Oscar shows used have REAL movies stars in 'em, BY GOSH!")

Just now, LuckyDan said:

I can't think of anyone who had real star appeal at the Oscars since Jack Nicholson. 

Hmmm...ya know, you might have a point there, Dan!

(...and, I'd throw in the thought that there really hasn't been a truly entertaining Oscar telecast since Billy Crystal last hosted it, as well)

• Like 1

Just now, Dargo said:

Hmmm...ya know, you might have a point there, Dan!

(...and, I'd throw in the thought that there really hasn't been a truly entertaining Oscar telecast since Billy Crystal last hosted it, as well)

Maybe it's just another boomer complaint. The stars we enjoyed seeing are going fast. 

Then award shows generally seem to be relics from another time  I wouldn't miss the Oscars if they ended tomorrow. 

But that slap thing was some good TV. 

Then there was Warren Beatty's embarrassing turn as presenter when, though not entirely his fault, he named the wrong winner. I wish, as I'm sure he does, that he'd been sharp enough to mention the error before he read the title and had been able to make a joke about it. 

19 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Then there was Warren Beatty's embarrassing turn as presenter when, though not entirely his fault, he named the wrong winner. I wish, as I'm sure he does, that he'd been sharp enough to mention the error before he read the title and had been able to make a joke about it. 

Actually Dan, it wasn't Beatty who announced it, if you recall correctly. It was actually Faye Dunaway who did, and after Beatty appeared to notice that he might have been given the wrong envelope/card and then hesitated for a second with a confused look on his face, and who then appeared to offered it to Dunaway for what seemed her perusal of it, and who then apparently just saw the words "La La Land" on said wrong card and blurted out what she had quickly read.

• Like 1

Just now, Dargo said:

Actually Dan, it wasn't Beatty who announced it, if you recall correctly. It was actually Faye Dunaway who did, and after Beatty appeared to notice that he might have been given the wrong envelope/card and then hesitated for a second with a confused look on his face, and who then appeared to offered it to Dunaway for what seemed her perusal of it, and who then apparently just saw the words "La La Land" on said wrong card and blurted out what she saw.

So blame the woman huh? Wow. Just... wow 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LuckyDan said:

So blame the woman huh? Wow. Just... wow 

LOL

What, didn't know I'm known far and wide for being a big myogis...misozan...mysoz...ahem...a big  WOMEN HATER, dude???!!!

;)

1 minute ago, LuckyDan said:

Faye trusted Warren, man. He let her down.

Tuesday Weld would have known better. 

If she had taken the role of Bonnie, it could all have been avoided. 

Hmmm...might you be implying here that Tuesday Weld was also considered for that part?

(...if so, I gotta admit I didn't know this)

Just now, Dargo said:

Hmmm...might you be implying here that Tuesday Weld was also considered for that part?

(...if so, I gotta admit I didn't know this)

I am and she was. She turned it down because she knew it was going to be a huge hit and she was a new mother who didn't want to be away from her child.

With Michael Pollard, all that would have been missing from the old Dobie crew was Dwayne Hickman. He could have been the undertaker. Maybe Frank Faylen could have taken Dub's part. 

• Thanks 1