Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Some highlights from my latest video about Creature from the Black Lagoon:

• Two different actors played The Creature, and Julie Adams who was under contract with Universal was not too thrilled when she originally won the role
  • The injustice done to Milicent Patrick who designed the costume
  • Three composers who all focused on different elements of the film score
  • Julie Adams injury when the Creature accidentally hit her head against a wall!

• Like 4

Another top-notch profile, AC!

Regarding Henry Mancini's music for Creature from the Black Lagoon, not all of his music was for "when things were nice and calm on the lagoon."

One of my favorite Mancini compositions in the movie is The Monster Gets Mark. It can be heard during the thrilling underwater battle between The Creature and Dr. Mark Williams (Richard Denning). Mancini's dynamic crescendo (4 minutes 38 seconds in the accompanying video clip) magnificently amplifies the action and imbues the vignette with a dramatic grandeur as Williams and The Gill-man violently wrestle and thrash about until Dr. David Reed (Richard Carlson) heroically attacks and fearlessly pursues the monster.

Sublime musical accompaniment, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

magnificently amplifies the action and imbues the vignette with a dramatic grandeur as Williams and The Gillman violently wrestle and thrash about until Dr. David Reed (Richard Carlson) heroically attacks and fearlessly pursues the monster

You ain't kidding you like Monster movies!  ;)

• Like 1

Julia Adams might not have been happy about being cast in Creature but those shots of her in the white bathing suit are one of the key reasons this film remains a favourite among so many horror fans, particularly the males. I find the film to be enjoyably hokey. And, like King Kong whose island is invaded by Carl Denham and those crazy filmmakers, you can feel sorry for the Creature as he fights back against these intruders in his quiet lagoon the only way he knows how.

(The fact that, again like Kong, he feels something for a woman among the invaders, just shows that, monster or not, he has good taste).

Creature from the Black Lagoon Ready to Attack Julie Adams (1954) :  r/OldSchoolCool

"Come on, baby, don't be shy. Let's boogie!"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Julia Adams might not have been happy about being cast in Creature but those shots of her in the white bathing suit are one of the key reasons this film remains a favourite among so many horror fans, particularly the males.

Yep, Raymond Caplan (better known as Ray Danton) was quite the lucky man for many years, alright.

That's an interesting fact about Julie Adams not being overly fond of being in this movie.  This is probably her most remembered role.  But this was a fairly common complaint about the so-called studio system..  All  actors had to do whatever was ordered  for them.

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, Raymond Caplan (better known as Ray Danton) was quite the lucky man for many years, alright.

I forgot they were married, Dargo. Hopefully Ray was not the creep in real life that he so often portrayed on the screen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

. . . (The fact that, again like Kong, he feels something for a woman among the invaders, just shows that, monster or not, he has good taste).

The Gill-man's Girlfriends (or I Can't Give You Anything But Glub, Baby!)

Julie Adams

OIP.P3nAzrRc_rPudNgDuzPNmwHaKL?pid=ImgDet&rs=1     annex-adams-julie-creature-from-the-black-lagoon_01.jpg

Lori Nelson

1056full-lori-nelson.jpg     dc73183b67460ab559c5d80fe049c4b3.jpg

Leigh Snowden

tumblr_pf2qbh9J671v85sfao7_1280.jpg     s-l1600-5.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, antoniacarlotta said:

Some highlights from my latest video about Creature from the Black Lagoon:

• Two different actors played The Creature, and Julie Adams who was under contract with Universal was not too thrilled when she originally won the role
  • The injustice done to Milicent Patrick who designed the costume
  • Three composers who all focused on different elements of the film score
  • Julie Adams injury when the Creature accidentally hit her head against a wall!

Very cool, just checked out your page and subscribed to the videos.  The Creature has always been one of my favorite Universal monsters.  The only  one of the core  monsters that was an original invention from Universal.  Lots of iconic shots in the first film with the mirrored underwater swimming and the hands reaching from off screen to clutch the heroine. I never hear much a bout the two sequels, and just yesterday i saw an article that listed the supposed top 10 sympathetic universal monster characters and the Gil-man wasn't included, but for me he's one of the most sympathetic.  He's abducted from his lagoon and taken to a water theme park and ultimately is under the care of an unsettled and abusive doctor.  After suffering injuries in a fire which leads to an operation effectively making him a land animal and unable to breathe underwater, and left unhappy and despondent, staring frequently our to the ocean and wanting to go back to the wild.  In the end he's  blamed for all teh events that take place in the film and is left wandering back into the water/wild, where it is assumed he can no longer live, but will soon die.

Truly a tragic character IMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

(or I Can't Give You Anything But Glub, Baby!)

Oh geeez.

(...actually, I LOL-ed when I read it, EPM...but then again I'm an easy mark when it comes to this sort'a thing, ya know) ;)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I live in Florida and keep hoping the Gill Man will swim my way.

Funny, but I see no resemblance at all between the Gill Man here and with that of either Barton MacLane OR Slim Summerville here, Bronxie! 

(...my, but you ARE the fickle one, aren't you!) 

;)

• Haha 2

Wow! Well after all THAT, why is it I now suddenly have an overwhelming urge to listen to a certain hit 1962 novelty song by Bobby "Boris" Pickett???

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

TomJH's caption for The Creature from the Black Lagoon still reminded me of the monster bubble gum cards sold during the 1960s.

il_1588xN.3149048542_pix2.jpg

Yes, I avidly collected those cards in my misspent youth, too. Perhaps the greatest horror of all came with the pink chalky gum that came with the cards. Those cards came out around the same period (early to mid '60s) when I was seeing many of the Universal horror films for the first time on late night television. I wrote a fan letter to Lon Chaney Jr. in my enthusiasm and actually received a reply.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wow! Well after all THAT, why is it I now suddenly have an overwhelming urge to listen to a certain hit 1962 novelty song by Bobby "Boris" Pickett???

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TomJH said:

. . . I wrote a fan letter to Lon Chaney Jr. in my enthusiasm and actually received a reply.

WOW! Congratulations! Do you remember the reply?

I also was (and still am) a Lon Chaney, Jr. fan. When I was a child, I'd never even thought of writing to him. By the time that I could have articulately expressed myself in a letter, LCJ was dead. However, many years later I met one of Junior's sons (I can't remember if it was Lon Ralph or Ronald Creighton) at a centenary celebration of Lon Chaney (senior). After a showing of one of Chaney's movies, I was so nervous while shaking the grandson's hand that I thanked him.

"You do know that wasn't me in that movie," he said, smiling.

"Yes, I know," I replied, "But your grandfather isn't here for me to thank."

On a not altogether unrelated note, I once worked with a woman who wrote a fan letter to Senior and received an autographed photo of "The Man of a Thousand Faces." Much later I read somewhere that autographed photos of Hollywood stars in general -- and Lon Chaney, Sr. in particular -- were not actually signed by the stars. Employees in the Publicity department committed the "forgeries."

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I also was (and still am) a Lon Chaney, Jr. fan. When I was a child, I'd never even thought of writing to him. By the time that I could have articulately expressed myself in a letter, LCJ was dead. However, many years later I met one of Junior's sons (I can't remember if it was Lon Ralph or Ronald Creighton) at a centenary celebration of Lon Chaney (senior). After a showing of one of Chaney's movies, I was so nervous while shaking the grandson's hand that I thanked him.

On a not altogether unrelated note, I once worked with a woman who wrote a fan letter to Senior and received an autographed photo of "The Man of a Thousand Faces." Much later I read somewhere that autographed photos of Hollywood stars in general -- and Lon Chaney, Sr. in particular -- were not actually signed by the stars. Employees in the Publicity department committed the "forgeries."

My sister was in high school in the 50's and I remember she had a lot of autographed pictures of the stars.  She had written to them for photographs.

43 minutes ago, ElCid said:

My sister was in high school in the 50's and I remember she had a lot of autographed pictures of the stars.  She had written to them for photographs.

Did she even have that one 2 and a half by 3 and a half pocket-sized autographed picture of Billy Barty, Cid?

(...now THAT'S the mark of a TRUE collector of autographs ya know!)  

;)

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Yes, that's the problem with autographs. You can never be sure if it's the real thing when you get them in the mail. And by that I'm including those very clever mimeograph prints of autographs that can be had on glossy photos. I have a hard time telling if it's a copy or the real thing.

With Chaney, however, it was the real thing. He sent a simple little 6"x4" card (no photo) that said, "Hi Tom, Lon Chaney." But as well as the card I've also kept the envelope in which it was sent with a return address written on the outside of C. (or is it L.?) Chaney, followed by his Capistrano Beach address. Dargo might appreciate the fact, too, that the 5 cent stamp he put on the envelope said "Circus" with the head of a clown on it. It was the only time I ever welcomed a clown into my home.

I've seen copies of Chaney Sr.'s autograph and it's very close to that of Lon Jr..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Dargo might appreciate the fact, too, that the 5 cent stamp he put on the envelope said "Circus" with the head of a clown on it. It was the only time I ever welcomed a clown into my home.

LOL

And in regard to "autographs" here...

The only example of this that I own is a lobby card from the movie It's a Wonderful Life that's of the scene in which after George Bailey returns to his home after discovering he's out $8,000, he's standing in his kitchen with his wife Mary and his son Peter, and it's signed by both Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed...well, supposedly so anyway, but they look pretty legit I'd say.

(...my sister-in-law found it some 30 or more years ago while in some Hollywood memorabilia shop located along Melrose Ave, and she gifted it to me for Christmas that year, knowing how much I've always liked this film)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

And in regard to "autographs" here...

The only example of this that I own is a lobby card from the movie It's a Wonderful Life that's of the scene in which after George Bailey returns to his home after discovering he's out $8,000, he's standing in his kitchen with his wife Mary and his son Peter, and it's signed by both Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed...well, supposedly so anyway, but they look pretty legit I'd say.

(...,my sister-in-law found it some 30 or more years ago while in some Hollywood memorabilia shop located along Melrose Ave, and she gifted it to me for Christmas that year, knowing how much I've always liked this film)

That's a pretty classic one to have, Dargo. I sent a number of fan letters to stars years ago,the highlight for me a short note of thanks from Jimmy Cagney. Jane Russell, however, was a real sweetheart in a reply she made, very down to earth and unpretentious.

Ironically the only autograph I got in person was from Kim Novak and it looks like nothing but a bunch of vertical scratches. She signed it with a weak soft pad underneath, and it looks nothing like her legit signature. But since I saw her do it in person I know it's real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The design of The Creature from the Black Lagoon underwent minor but noticeable changes during The Creature trilogy.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon

M=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Revenge of the Creature

revengecreature10910.jpg?ssl=1

The Creature Walks Among Us
(Before "Evolution")

Still_from_the_Creature_from_the_Black_L

Did you know . . .?

Jackie Gleason auditioned for the role of The Creature?
"The Great One" wanted the part so badly that he crash-dieted!

Sny46Ynx5_IsYhNPyxSAPuSNtfMt9yJDWZpA-GuX

"And awaaaaaaaaaay we go!"

• Haha 1