Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Liz & Duke

Yep, truly a larger-than-life figure, alright.

Still though, I'd say, and as I've always said, this one following quote from Liz about him , "He has given to the whole world what an American is supposed to be like", would instead be better applied to the man she's standing next to here...

9476deccaad896a81d271bbd838151e4.jpg

OR even perhaps, to the man she's pictured next to her here...

03f8_35.JPG?set_id=7&ehk=2bIbBXWOEUmPo9s

(...and besides Nip ol' boy, look at it THIS way...both Jimmy and Coop here were "good Republicans" TOO ya know, and HECK,  that fact ALONE would or should probably soothe any complaint you might now have for my offering up these two as real TRUE examples of men who'd best represent to the world what "an American is supposed to be like", RIGHT?!) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I do love JAMES STEWART, but I  have to say GARY COOPER ...not so much.  Of the three, the DUKE is the one I'd prefer to watch in a movie.  ;)

And certainly your prerogative to do so, Allhallows.

However, my point above was to suggest that the characters that both Stewart and Cooper often played in films would most often project more of the best of how the average American male might and hopefully would handle himself when faced with a tough situation, and most often by, and at least at first, taking "the higher road" in order achieve some just end result.

And, also that in most cases these two seldom if ever played those characters as being as "cocksure" of themselves as John Wayne often did in his films.

(...and if there's ONE thing I've always said that I've always thought ISN'T any sort of attribute for to us us Americans, it's this inclination of ours to too often be too damn cocksure about ourselves)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

However, my point above was to suggest that the characters that both Stewart and Cooper often played in films would most often project more of the best of how the average American male might and hopefully would handle himself when faced with a tough situation

Uh, yeh.  As in blah blah blah?  ;)

19 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Uh, yeh.  As in blah blah blah?  ;)

So then you're sayin' this sort'a thing has the same kind of an affect on YOU as it does to Peppermint Patty while she's sitting in her classroom desk listening to her teacher???  ;)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So then you're sayin' this sort'a thing has the same kind of an affect on YOU as it does to Peppermint Patty while she's sitting in her classroom desk listening to her teacher???  ;)

No.  She heard "Wah wah wah."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

However, my point above was to suggest that the characters that both Stewart and Cooper often played in films would most often project more of the best of how the average American male might and hopefully would handle himself when faced with a tough situation,

Cooper,  yes (but still not as much as Wayne),  but not so-much Stewart based on the Mann westerns and the Hitchcock films.     These were complex characters,  often cynical and selfish,  and IMO some of the best roles in Stewart's career.    BUT,  they are not cookie-cutter "heroes"   which is what,  I assume,  is what Liz was getting at.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Cooper,  yes (but still not as much as Wayne),  but not so-much Stewart based on the Mann westerns and the Hitchcock films.     These were complex characters,  often cynical and selfish,  and IMO some of the best roles in Stewart's career.    BUT,  they are not cookie-cutter "heroes"   which is what,  I assume,  is what Liz was getting at.

Yes James, I understand what Liz's comment was suggesting when she said it.

And so in THIS regard, I'll now just re-emphasize my first comment in this thread in which I was suggesting that I, on the otherhand, would always aspire to be more like Messrs Stewart's and Cooper's more complicated and thus more actually "human"  characters that THEY most often played, and of whom if you also recall and even though they did occasionally play the "cynical and selfish" sort, would most often end up doing "the right thing" after their characters did some soul-searching and comtemplation, and which is actually a tougher thing to accomplish, and a TRUE mark of "toughness" on the silver screen AND in real life, than just being so damn cocksure about things from the start.

(...oh, and there's this too...the idea that I've always MUCH more admired the manner in which Jimmy Stewart lived his REAL life than I ever have how John Wayne did his...and no, and before you or anyone else here now might wish to bring up their respective lives led during the Second World War, that would have little if anything to do with how I feel about this...nope, I just think Jimmy Stewart would better "represent the best of an American to the world" just that little bit more)

• Like 1

I guess if a fake macho man and  hypocritical  draft evader is what an American is supposed  to be like then Dukey is your man.

From  the little I've read about Liz she  was  pretty much an irreverent wiseass, but I suppose  she  couldn't completely  free

herself from the old Hollywood bs.  I still prefer Liz and Dick. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I guess if a fake macho man and  hypocritical  draft evader is what an American is supposed  to be like then Dukey is your man.

Well, THAT didn't take too long to come up here, now DID it!

LOL

(...and lemme guess here...this baby will eventually get around to someone mentioning Jane Fonda's name in it too, RIGHT?!...yep, I think I see a thread "rerun" comin' on here VERY VERY soon now, alright!)

LOL...some more now

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, THAT didn't take too long to come up here, now DID it!

LOL

(...and lemme guess here...this baby will eventually get around to someone mentioning Jane Fonda's name in it too, RIGHT?!...yep, I think I see a thread "rerun" comin' on here VERY VERY soon now, alright!)

LOL...some more now

Duke  has  become  a pretty  soft target  over the years and he  might even deserve a  break, but OTOH it's  hard  to  resist giving him

a needle for all the years his bs  went unanswered. This is not an apology  of course. They make you look weak. 

22 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

This is not an apology  of course. They make you look weak. 

Ya know Vautrin, this reminds me of a girl I once knew who also quite often would wear a yellow ribbon in her hair, too.

(...although I don't recall her also having that sexy overbite that Joanne Dru had)

Hey, I don't never apologize to nobody fer nuthin'!   Eat [excrement] and perish!    🙃

My name's JOHN WAYNE, Pilgrim, and I'll rip yer dirty Commie head off and tinkle down your neck stump if I hear any one-a you Pinko dirtbags say sumthin' bad 'bout 'Murica!  😵🤪

→ Hey, frens, remember the time ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE was featured on Lawrence Welk?  I think the religious references in the song fooled somebody on the show's production staff.  :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know Vautrin, this reminds me of a girl I once knew who also quite often would wear a yellow ribbon in her hair, too.

(...although I don't recall her also having that sexy overbite that Joanne Dru had)

Though  not enough of an overbite  to get that  arrow  out  of  her  shoulder in Red River.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Though  not enough of an overbite  to get that  arrow  out  of  her  shoulder in Red River.

Yeah, but Joanne sure proved that she was one tough broad THERE, alright!

(...wouldn't ya say?!)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but Joanne sure proved that she was one tough broad THERE, alright!

(...wouldn't ya say?!)

Yeah, quite  a  little  spitfire,  maybe even  a medium spitfire.