Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bullitt

kim s

I'm curious - is anyone else disappointed with the airport scenes?  Too long and mystifying why more is not done to protect passengers when a dangerous gunman is loose.   I know I'm criticizing a classic, but the airport scenes did not create the suspense I expected judging from the film to that point.

The world of airports in 1968 was far different; there weren't any metal detectors and so Pat Renella (the bad guy Johnny Ross who framed 'Albert Rennick') was able to have a gun in his jacket pocket on the plane and then pull it out and start shooting after he jumped off the aircraft with Steve McQueen in hot pursuit.  

There were a number of security guards in and around the airport but Ross tucked his gun back in when he entered the airport again and there were no cell phones to alert everyone in a big hurry + plus Ross was running all over the landing strip and was in a heck of a hurry (understandably). 

I would imagine airports started using metal detectors not too long after '68.