Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the incident 1967

how long I wonder before liberals get around to banning this film. a lot of the dialogue from joe and artie in the subway car is no holds barred. a terrifically powerful film. has tcm ever shown it or perhaps nowadays they are now too afraid to show it....

7 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

how long I wonder before liberals get around to banning this film. a lot of the dialogue from joe and artie in the subway car is no holds barred. a terrifically powerful film. has tcm ever shown it or perhaps nowadays they are now too afraid to show it....

It's been on TCM.  IIRC, they showed it back-to-back with The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 when I saw it.

It's not content that keeps TCM from showing it more often.  It's a 20th Century Fox release.  I actually saw it for the first time on FXM Retro about a week before it was on TCM.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

If you wanna bait people,  try a be a little less ham-handed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Don't you mean,  how good could it be? 

McMahon wasn't a bad actor. But he was America's Late-Night Second Banana at the time, and I have a feeling he wouldn't have been associated with a risqué feature film.

Ed McMahon Apologized to This Star for 'Sophomoric' Behavior With Johnny  Carson

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

McMahon wasn't a bad actor. But he was America's Late-Night Second Banana at the time, and I have a feeling he wouldn't have been associated with a risqué feature film.

Ed McMahon Apologized to This Star for 'Sophomoric' Behavior With Johnny  Carson

He was the corrupt CEO at Taft Aerospace who fires Dick in the original Fun With Dick and Jane. 

Always loved the scene at Tower Records on Sunset, Dick and Jane walk to the counter. Dick; "There's something wrong with this record" Clerk: "What" Dick: "There's a gun in it".

58263.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And what do you suppose would make them "afraid" to show it?  

Sepiatone

the N word is used to great effect in this movie like it has not been used in any other movie. the black passenger played by brock peters is used to illustrate the dangers of reverse racism...in 1967! an exceptional way way ahead of it's time movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061814/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

• Like 1

I saw the beginning of The Incident on a local late night station airing about 45 or so years ago. I thought it was odd that McMahon was acting. I either fell asleep or changed the channel, but it didn't grab me then. It wasn't old enough to be interesting and it had that low-budget air that I associated then with second-rate quality. I should give it a look maybe.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

the N word is used to great effect in this movie like it has not been used in any other movie. the black passenger played by brock peters is used to illustrate the dangers of reverse racism...in 1967! an exceptional way way ahead of it's time movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061814/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Apparently those at IDbm  think more highly of this film than I could.  Sheen and Musante (Good actor.  Whatever became of him?) went far too over the top in cliched glee portraying the punks  as stereotypical cartoons.  And I don't recall more use of the "N" word( :rolleyes: gad, I hate using baby-talk) than can be heard in BLAZING SADDLES.  But then the movie predates "Saddles" by several years, so maybe it was the time of it's release you're alluding to? 

Sepiatone

20 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

It is the crazy republicans that are banning all sorts of things,  as they always have since the beginning of time.

blanket statement there- not sure what you're referring to.

1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

blanket statement there- not sure what you're referring to.

Books in schools and libraries,    what topics can be discussed with students,   what investments can be made with state dollars etc...

It appears you don't follow the news.

23 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Books in schools and libraries,    what topics can be discussed with students,   what investments can be made with state dollars etc...

It appears you don't follow the news.

I'm all for banning teachers having sexual charged conversations with elementary school students. Not their job but it's obvious what their intent in doing so is.  But growing up it was Tipper Gore who i recall trying to ban music.  Just think the statement that 'It is the crazy republicans that are banning all sorts of things,  as they always have since the beginning of time' is a beyond a loaded statement.  But, i'm not here for politics.

1 minute ago, Shank Asu said:

I'm all for banning teachers having sexual charged conversations with elementary school students. Not their job but it's obvious what their intent in doing so is.  But growing up it was Tipper Gore who i recall trying to ban music.  Just think the statement that 'It is the crazy republicans that are banning all sorts of things,  as they always have since the beginning of time' is a beyond a loaded statement.  But, i'm not here for politics.

This thread is in Chit-Chat (it was moved from General Discussion at my request, since the first post from the OP is about POLITICS).

If you're not here for politics,  why are you here at this thread?    (e.g.  did you read the FIRST post at this  thread).

Thus of course it is a loaded statement.   Of course it is over the top!

NipKow knows that.    It was my silly way of responding to his: how long I wonder before liberals get around to banning this film. 

Anyhow,  it is more than just the teacher and conversations.    Schools districts are now banning all sorts of books.     

9 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

This thread is in Chit-Chat (it was moved from General Discussion at my request, since the first post from the OP is about POLITICS).

If you're not here for politics,  why are you here at this thread?    (e.g.  did you read the FIRST post at this  thread).

Thus of course it is a loaded statement.   Of course it is over the top!

NipKow knows that.    It was my silly way of responding to his: how long I wonder before liberals get around to banning this film. 

Anyhow,  it is more than just the teacher and conversations.    Schools districts are now banning all sorts of books.     

yeah, i didn't really see the point of the OP to be honest.  and obviously it was meant to stir the schitt but i guess i didn't react to it and only your post caught my attention.  i avoid the off topic threads other than the books people are currently reading, so i guess i caught this one before it moved?  anyhow, i guess i misunderstood the repertoire you and NipKow have with each other.  Irony is often lost on the printed page. 

Growing up the only books i recall being banned which i didn't understand why were Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye and To Kill A Mockingbird, all of which i ironically read in my english classes. haven't heard too much about current books being banned other than ones which are overly sexual in nature, which i do get.  Never been too worried about what is being banned in school libraries- i've always been an avid reader and rarely got books from my school library as a kid.  People will get whatever material they are looking for somehow and i do believe some items aren't suitable for public schools.

But there's two reasons why my wife and i have chosen to have our kids go to school in england as opposed the US: gun violence which scares the hell out of me and seems to almost be a weekly occurrence in the US and activist teachers who seem more concerned talking about their sex lives and pronouns over teaching (which probably isn't a big issue nation-wide, but for sure is in Portland where I'm from).  So i guess those are political reasons, but neither which together support or oppose a single party  - which i've always tried to avoid doing.   

Cheers!

• Like 1

I'm glad  that the dangerous poison of reverse racism was brought out, as white Americans have suffered as much, or maybe even more,

from racism than black Americans. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

yeah, i didn't really see the point of the OP to be honest.  and obviously it was meant to stir the schitt but i guess i didn't react to it and only your post caught my attention.  i avoid the off topic threads other than the books people are currently reading, so i guess i caught this one before it moved?  anyhow, i guess i misunderstood the repertoire you and NipKow have with each other.  Irony is often lost on the printed page. 

Growing up the only books i recall being banned which i didn't understand why were Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye and To Kill A Mockingbird, all of which i ironically read in my english classes. haven't heard too much about current books being banned other than ones which are overly sexual in nature, which i do get.  Never been too worried about what is being banned in school libraries- i've always been an avid reader and rarely got books from my school library as a kid.  People will get whatever material they are looking for somehow and i do believe some items aren't suitable for public schools.

But there's two reasons why my wife and i have chosen to have our kids go to school in england as opposed the US: gun violence which scares the hell out of me and seems to almost be a weekly occurrence in the US and activist teachers who seem more concerned talking about their sex lives and pronouns over teaching (which probably isn't a big issue nation-wide, but for sure is in Portland where I'm from).  So i guess those are political reasons, but neither which together support or oppose a single party  - which i've always tried to avoid doing.   

Cheers!

Disadvantage they will be separated from the rest of us folks by a common language upon returning. ;)

British-vs-American-Words-Food-Based-Ite

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Apparently those at IDbm  think more highly of this film than I could.  Sheen and Musante (Good actor.  Whatever became of him?) went far too over the top in cliched glee portraying the punks  as stereotypical cartoons.  And I don't recall more use of the "N" word( :rolleyes: gad, I hate using baby-talk) than can be heard in BLAZING SADDLES.  But then the movie predates "Saddles" by several years, so maybe it was the time of it's release you're alluding to? 

Sepiatone

the N word was used in conjunction with the word smell most effectively...

you have watched the film, haven't you?

12 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

the N word was used in conjunction with the word smell most effectively...

you have watched the film, haven't you?

It's been quite some time, but yeah.

Sepiatone