Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beatles Day Feb 9th 2024

In regards to the Beatles 70th anniversary.  What is the possibility of TCM doing a marathon of movies by and staring the Fab Four. 

Start with " Hard Days Night,  then Help, move onto Yellow Submarine, Magical Mystery Tour, How I Won The War, followed by Caveman with Ringo Starr and end with Give my Regards to Broadstreet with Paul and Linda McCartney. 

Perhaps even possible interviews with Paul and Ringo. 

• Like 3

I've been saying for years that you could do a spotlight month on the Beatles organized like this:

- a night of the films they made during their time as a group (HARD DAYS NIGHT, HELP, etc).

- a night of films that George Harrison exec produced (TIME BANDITS, WITHNAIL AND I, THE LONELY PASSION OF JUDITH HEARNE, LIFE OF BRIAN, THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY as a few examples). Added bonus if you could get George's widow Olivia Harrison to co-host.

- a night of other films band members appeared in (John in HOW I WON THE WAR, Paul in GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD STREET, some of Ringo's roles such as THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN, CANDY, THAT'LL BE THE DAY, CAVEMAN etc).

- a night of films inspired by their music/history (I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, BACKBEAT, THE HOURS AND TIMES as a few possibilities)

Edited by rdmtimp
  • Like 2

I think TCM aired How I Won the War about 20 years ago. Or maybe AMC.  Anyway I saw it on TV somewhere around that time, and man did it blow. It should have been titled How I Lost My Acting Career. Unwatchable.

Regarding The Magic Christian, John was the first choice for Youngman Grand but something relating to his pot bust a few months before filming made that a problem. Insurance maybe, or travel restrictions. I don't know. Ringo was a more subtle personality and better suited to it I think. But, yeah, a fun litte curio.

And Raquel. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've often thought it would be nice to see a Beatles night on TCM, but since they've run A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 23 times and never run HELP! even once there must be some rights issues that need to be cleared up. And since it hasn't happened yet, I don't think we can expect a Beatles festival on TCM any time soon.

26 minutes ago, musicalnovelty said:

I've often thought it would be nice to see a Beatles night on TCM, but since they've run A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 23 times and never run HELP! even once there must be some rights issues that need to be cleared up. And since it hasn't happened yet, I don't think we can expect a Beatles festival on TCM any time soon.

I wonder what those rights issues could be.  I know Let it Be is in rights hell.

1 hour ago, skimpole said:

I wonder what those rights issues could be.  I know Let it Be is in rights hell.

I think Paul and Ringo just don't like Let it Be. That's why they had Peter Jackson restore and re-cut the raw footage into Get Back.

Wiki indicates the rights issues to Help! have been resolved and Apple Corps now owns it outright. 

• Like 2

Victor Spinetti, who appeared in several Beatles films, was a friend of mine. He loved to talk about the Beatles (which he did often, in his one-man show) and would have been ideal to introduce Beatles films, but he died in 2012. Lovely man. Many years ago, at a dinner party in London, I mentioned that I was on a diet. Victor's mother Lily, who was present, told me that the best diet to lose weight was to eat a whole chicken and drink bottle of gin daily. I didn't try it.

Victor's partner, Graham Curnow, whom I knew well, was the young actor who played Michael Gough's assistant in Horrors of the Black Museum. Victor and Graham had a house in Brighton and a flat in London.

victor-spinetti-beatles-hard-days-night.

• Like 4

Being a big Beatles fan since that very night they first appeared on Ed Sullivan's show, and in regard to this idea brought up here, I'd now just like to say...

I love THIS, yeah, yeah, yeah.  I love THIS, yeah, yeah, yeah. 

And with a love like this, I know I'd sure be glad.

(...if TCM would do somethin' like this, that is)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

Victor Spinetti.....

He's good as the sweater loving neurotic director in Hard Day's Night, but he nearly steals every scene -and he's in a lot more- in HELP!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

He's good as the sweater loving neurotic director in Hard Day's Night, but he nearly steals every scene -and he's in a lot more- in HELP!

Victor's father Giuseppe was an Italian immigrant, came over to Wales with his parents. Grew up there, married Lily Watson, a Welsh girl. They ran a fish and chips shop in Cwm, near Ebbw Vale, in South Wales. Giuseppe (Joe) was interned as an enemy Italian on the Isle of Man during World War II, but was allowed to go home after ten months, since friends attested to the fact that he was a loyal Welshman. Victor's family had to endure taunts and discrimination during the time he was interned. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Swithin said:

They ran a fish and chips shop in Cwm, near Ebbw Vale, in South Wales.

And also noted as being by far the shortest named town in all of Wales, I would think.

(...and especially considering that it's spelled without even ONE vowel...superfluous, or not)  ;)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And also noted as being by far the shortest named town in all of Wales, I would think.

(...and especially considering that it's spelled without even ONE vowel...superfluous, or not)  ;)

"W" and "Y" are considered vowels in the Welsh language.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Being a big Beatles fan since that very night they first appeared on Ed Sullivan's show, 

Came late to that party, eh?    ;)

11 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I think TCM aired How I Won the War about 20 years ago. Or maybe AMC.  Anyway I saw it on TV somewhere around that time, and man did it blow.

And THAT'S putting it NICELY!  ;) 

But personally, I'd be fine with just anything they all in one form or another were in.   But if they show anything any of them were in separately I would hope that GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADSTREET   would be scheduled at a time that would make it easier for me to avoid seeing that turkey.  ;)   Same with HOW I WON THE WAR.  

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, Swithin said:

"W" and "Y" are considered vowels in the Welsh language.

Oh! Well then, it's certainly nice to now know that at least the 'w' isn't "superfluous in THIS case then.

(...nope, evidently neither one of those 'u's of that double-u there, huh)

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I think Paul and Ringo just don't like Let it Be. That's why they had Peter Jackson restore and re-cut the raw footage into Get Back.

Wiki indicates the rights issues to Help! have been resolved and Apple Corps now owns it outright. 

I don't blame them for not liking Let It Be. I can't imagine that John liked it either because it seemed to be designed to vilify Yoko, since by the time the movie came out the "Yoko broke up The Beatles" narrative had taken hold in the press and among the public. The movie definitely painted them as a band that had lost its way and was very moody and downbeat. I still haven't seen Jackson's film but clips show a more joyful and creative process than the original even hinted at.

Joe Orton wrote (or revised, I think) a screenplay for The Beatles called Up Against It. Contracts were signed and Orton submitted it, but apparently The Beatles passed. It was pretty out there and my assumption was always that Brian Epstein was freaked out and lobbied against it. Orton tried to get the project going with others (I think Mick Jagger was mentioned) but he was killed before it could be worked out. I remember it was done as a radio play in England, but it's now kind of The Beatles movie that never was. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

I don't blame them for not liking Let It Be. I can't imagine that John liked it either because it seemed to be designed to vilify Yoko, since by the time the movie came out the "Yoko broke up The Beatles" narrative had taken hold in the press and among the public. The movie definitely painted them as a band that had lost its way and was very moody and downbeat. I still haven't seen Jackson's film but clips show a more joyful and creative process than the original even hinted at.

There was talk of finally granting amnesty to Let it Be in a package deal with Get Back's disk release, but...that doesn't seem to have happened.  🙁

(Paul and Ringo said the whole point of Get Back was to include the "fun moments" that LIB cut out to focus on the breakup tensions.)

Get Back is much lighter, and we can see that most of the moody tensions were over the uncomfortable idea of using a movie studio, rushing the schedule in only six weeks before the studio had to film another movie ("The Magic Christian", no less), and still being unable to settle on the original idea of doing a live performance TV special with only a few BTS clips.  Although we can still see that John is clearly getting some fatigue issues with the group, trying to turn it more "his" way into a rock-n-bluesy band, always breaking into sarcastically ironic renditions of "Help!" and being a complete d*** to George about his artsier ideas.  (When George talks about seeing an ambassadorial ball on TV, and writing "I, Me, Mine" as a waltz tempo, a clearly impatient John snipes "Run along, son, we're making a rock-'n-roll band...Should I go fetch me barrel organ?")

Joe Orton wrote (or revised, I think) a screenplay for The Beatles called Up Against It. Contracts were signed and Orton submitted it, but apparently The Beatles passed. It was pretty out there and my assumption was always that Brian Epstein was freaked out and lobbied against it. Orton tried to get the project going with others (I think Mick Jagger was mentioned) but he was killed before it could be worked out. I remember it was done as a radio play in England, but it's now kind of The Beatles movie that never was. 

For those who've seen Prick Up Your Ears (1987),  we get one scene joking about why Epstein freaked out--It was more of Orton's "naughty" under-the-radar 50's-60's British underground-gay humor, with the Beatles only playing characters in Orton's farce, not themselves, and all ending up in bed together in the climactic gag, wink-wink.  😉  Epstein's own issues aside, he didn't want to spoil the Beatles' image with the girls, 'nuff said.

Along with Magical Mystery Tour's drugged-out memorial to Apple's brief phase of self-management, and Yellow Submarine's former MGM/UA orphanhood.  A Hard Day's Night was owned by Miramax, and was adopted out of their orphanhood by Criterion.

About all that leaves is a handful of Thomas the Tank Engine episodes that Ringo narrated.

And Sir Paul still won't grant amnesty to King Features' 60's BeatlesToons for "stealing" their songs (reruns showed up on MTV for the Beatles' 25th, and Apple Corps quickly salted them away), even though John later claimed he could watch them with an innocent retro laugh, now:

Beatlescartoons1.jpg

https://archive.org/details/beatles-saturday-morning-cartoons-ep.-33

https://archive.org/details/beatles-saturday-morning-cartoons-ep.-38

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

Orton tried to get the project going with others (I think Mick Jagger was mentioned) but he was killed before it could be worked out.

Don't tell me. Lemme guess here.

Hit by a doubledecker bus while crossing Abbey Road, right?!

(...oh the irony)

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Don't tell me. Lemme guess here.

Hit by a doubledecker bus while crossing Abbey Road, right?!

(...oh the irony)

Erm.......not quite.  😨

(Again with a nod to Stephen Frear's film.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I'd rather listen to the white album. Once forwards, once backwards. 

Ya know I've heard that if you play the White Album backwards, it tells you all you need to know about the mating habits of walruses.

Probably just another one of those urban legends, though.

(...I'll betcha)

8 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Don't you mean esurlaws?

LOL

Yeah, that's what I meant, slayton.  ;)

(...hmmm...I wonder why our occasional poster around here "umop apisdn" is now comin' to mind here?...gee, I wonder)