Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Baby Jane

If I recall correctly, and it's been some time since I've seen it, she's on the beach, and she looks up and sees the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand, and realizing that she's actually been on Earth this whole time, she screams into the sky, "It's a cookbook!".

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Terrence1 said:

As many times as I've seen "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?",  I've always been puzzled about something.  Does Joan Crawford die at the end? 

No.     The police get there in time and she doesn't die.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

No.     The police get there in time and she doesn't die.   

Hmmm...and here I've always thought that she did, die that is, and that the police had gotten to her too late.

But now that I think about this some more, I believe this might've been intended to be left up to the viewer to decide for themselves. 

If you watch the following clip of the end of this film, it doesn't look as if Blanche is moving at all as the camera pulls back and it fades to black...

(...gotta ask here, James...what makes you so sure that Blanche DID live?)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...gotta ask here, James...what makes you so sure that Blanche DID live?)

Just in case Jack Warner wanted to do a sequel.

(no joke:  i.e.  why kill off the character unless one really needs to,  was one of Jack's mottos).

(but I should have said it was ambiguous).

• Like 1

I think it was written to be ambiguous but the way she doesn't move at all makes me read it as though she's dead.

I've always found this to be quite an odd film.  Almost makes Spider Baby come across as normal.  A few years ago, i watched a few episodes of the mini-series about the making of the film, Feud, starring Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange.  I'd like to find that and finish it.  The production of the film seems more interesting to me than the actual film.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

As many times as I've seen "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?",  I've always been puzzled about something.  Does Joan Crawford die at the end? 

According to Republic world.com (whatever that is) "The fate of Blanche isn't revealed.  If she survived, it is up to the audience to decide."

12 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

According to Republic world.com (whatever that is) "The fate of Blanche isn't revealed.  If she survived, it is up to the audience to decide."

Didn't Blanche go stay with her sister in New Orleans?

Or did she retire to Miami with a couple of friends?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Didn't Blanche go stay with her sister in New Orleans?

Or did she retire to Miami with a couple of friends?

As I understand it Lawrence, IF Blanche does live, her itinerary consisted of the following:

Taken by ambulance to Santa Monica General Hospital.

Once recoperated, is moved to an assisted care facility located in Van Nuys. (although the drive over the Sepulveda Pass on the then newly opened I-405 is still quite taxing on her)

After fully recovering, THAT'S when she takes a direct flight from LAX to New Orleans on a Delta Airlines DC8 (airport connections are never any fun in a wheelchair, ya know), but only to enjoy some Etouffee (along with a bottle of Pepsi, of course) and to listen to the band playing at Preservation Hall.

And yes and then afterward, does indeed retire to Miama Beach, Florida (sorry, can't remember which airline she takes on this leg of her trip) and while living with those friends there, one day and out of the blue meets the then star fullback for the Miama Dolphins, Larry Csonka, and who after taking pity on her condition, decides(and on his OWN volition here, mind you...although it is thought that it might have also been because Larry always preferred Pepsi over Coke too, and so they had this in common as well ) to become her caretaker during the NFL off-season.

(...she dies in his arms in, I think it was, around 1977, but don't quote me on this...I can't remember the exact date)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

As I understand it Lawrence, IF Blanche does live, her itinerary consisted of the following:

Taken by ambulance to Santa Monica General Hospital.

Once recoperated, is moved to an assisted care facility located in Van Nuys. (although the drive over the Sepulveda Pass on the then newly opened I-405 is still quite taxing on her)

After fully recovering, THAT'S when she takes a direct flight from LAX to New Orleans on a Delta Airlines DC8 (airport connections are never any fun in a wheelchair, ya know), but only to enjoy some Etouffee (along with a bottle of Pepsi, of course) and to listen to the band playing at Preservation Hall.

And yes and then afterward, does indeed retire to Miama Beach, Florida (sorry, can't remember which airline she takes on this leg of her trip) and while living with those friends there, one day and out of the blue meets the then star fullback for the Miama Dolphins, Larry Csonka, and who after taking pity on her condition, decides(and ON his own volition here, mind you) to become her caretaker during the NFL off-season.

(...she dies in his arms in, I think it was, around 1979...but don't quote me on this...I can't remember the exact date)

MSY to MIA, likely via Eastern!

30 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

MSY to MIA, likely via Eastern!

Ahh YES! THAT's who she took on that leg of her trip!

NOW I remember! It was on the now defunct EASTERN Airlines. 

Thanks, Tex!

(...I know I can always count of you to fill in those little details I sometimes forget about around here, ol' buddy!)  ;) 

Just now, Dargo said:

Ahh YES! THAT's who she took on that leg of her trip!

NOW I remember! It was the now defunct EASTERN Airlines. 

Thanks, Tex!

(...I know I can always count of you to fill in those little details I sometimes forget about around here, ol' buddy!)  ;) 

There's only a few left who remember how expensive it was to fly before de-regulation, and what a pain it could be to get from point A to point B, sometimes...

1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

There's only a few left who remember how expensive it was to fly before de-regulation, and what a pain it could be to get from point A to point B, sometimes...

Yeah well, don't get this old retired airline employee here started on THAT subject here, Tex.

(...'cause if you thought that whole "Blanche's Itinerary" thing was a long and drawn-out affair.....)  ;)

LOL

In the original novel, Blanche's last scene describes her as lying on the beach on a blanket and "letting the sound of the crowd-and the ocean- grow dim all around her..."

Like in the film, the two cops are asking Jane where her sister is, Jane sees the crowd gathering and starts to dance. But there is no description of the cops finding Blanche.

Good question!  I've always assumed that Blanche is probably dead OR we're left to assume she dies soon.  Blanche is starving and has gone without water for a long time.  She tells Baby Jane that she's dying.  I think that her knowing that she's dying is what prompts her to finally tell Baby Jane the truth about what actually happened on the fateful night of the accident that crippled her.  Blanche's body is lying motionless on the beach when the police finally get to her.

I think both Bette Davis and Joan Crawford give fantastic performances in this film.  Bette Davis wasn't afraid to play a very unsympathetic character in extremely unattractive makeup and clothes.  Joan Crawford portrays her character's emotions really well.  Victor Buono plays the sleazy Edwin wonderfully.  This is a bizarre, creepy movie but it's a really good one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, Shank Asu said:

I think it was written to be ambiguous but the way she doesn't move at all makes me read it as though she's dead.

Right, it's meant to be ambiguous, but the same as you, I've always  thought that Blanche had died.

• Like 1