Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

California to ban new gas car sales by 2035

Starting with 2026 models, 35% of new cars, SUVs and small pickups sold in California would be required to be zero-emission vehicles. That quota would increase each year and is expected to reach 51% of all new car sales in 2028, 68% in 2030 and 100% in 2035. The quotas also would allow 20% of zero-emission cars sold to be plug-in hybrids.

Sperling said that if most of these states follow California’s lead, it could transform the US auto industry.

We don't have the infrastructure to support this many electric cars, unless we start building coal plants. This is exactly how democrats run things, they pass laws without thinking through what it means.

47 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Starting with 2026 models, 35% of new cars, SUVs and small pickups sold in California would be required to be zero-emission vehicles. That quota would increase each year and is expected to reach 51% of all new car sales in 2028, 68% in 2030 and 100% in 2035. The quotas also would allow 20% of zero-emission cars sold to be plug-in hybrids.

Sperling said that if most of these states follow California’s lead, it could transform the US auto industry.

We don't have the infrastructure to support this many electric cars, unless we start building coal plants. This is exactly how democrats run things, they pass laws without thinking through what it means.

The auto industry in US, Europe and Asia is already being transformed.  Some of largest auto manufacturers have adopted goals of selling only zero emission vehicles within next couple of decades.  Did this several years ago in some cases.

Tesla is very successful and only sells electric vehicles.  This has transformed the world auto industry already.

As I understand it CA is already looking at ways to have the infrastructure in place by 2035.

Incidentally, democrats with a small "d" refers to all people who believe in democracy, not people in the Democratic Party.  Of course, I doubt you actually believe in democracy since your hero Trump doesn't.

3 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Yeah, those damn Democrats!

This sort'a thing reminds this dyed-in-the-wool Gearhead here of that time back in the late-1960's when they first began to pass those dang laws in California about vehicle emissions because the air quality in places like where my formative years were spent, the greater L.A. area, had gotten about as bad as it could get.

And so, what did we end up there with INSTEAD? Uh-huh, YOU guessed it! The air quality generally bein' a HELL of lot better in that area NOW DAYS than it was back then and DESPITE mind you there presently being a hell of lot more people and cars in that area than there was back then, THAT'S what!

Yeah, doncha just hate those damn tree-hugging do-gooder Democrats, sometimes?!

(...btw and for the record, my penultimate line up there would be the ONLY damn reason I'd move from that area and retire to beautiful picturesque Sedona AZ...yep, that whole "There's now too many  freakin' people AND thus too damn much traffic there now" thing...nope, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with either the "politics" of the place NOR my "finances"...this comment made JUST for "those here" who seemingly won't be able to understand THAT concept as well!)

LOL

• Like 1

2035 is just a scheduled target;   If by 2033 or so there isn't enough clean energy to supply the necessary electricity and enough electric car power-stations (where there use to be gas stations and not just for Tesla vehicles which is  an issue here in CA),     than the target date will be pushed out.    

(just like the closing of the Diablo nuclear power plant shut down will be delayed due to concerns about the clean energy time table).

CA is the world's 8th largest economy;     The political power and money that helps makes this happen isn't going to let the CA economy decline due to energy concerns.

(now water,  that is a bigger worry!).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

2035 is just a scheduled target;   If by 2033 or so there isn't enough clean energy to supply the necessary electricity and enough electric car power-stations (where there use to be gas stations and not just for Tesla vehicles which is  an issue here in CA),     than the target date will be pushed out.    

(just like the closing of the Diablo nuclear power plant shut down will be delayed due to concerns about the clean energy time table).

CA is the world's 8th largest economy;     The political power and money that helps makes this happen isn't going to let the CA economy decline due to energy concerns.

(now water,  that is a bigger worry!).

Now now here, James!

I HOPE you know  that you're now bein' MUCH too logical for MM's mind to absorb at just one sitting here, don't YA???!!!

(...AND especially so AND with the many folks in this country with a similar mindset as his, of that whole concept known as "Progress"!)

LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, those damn Democrats!

This sort'a thing reminds this dyed-in-the-wool Gearhead here of that time back in the late-1960's when they first began to pass those dang laws in California about vehicle emissions because the air quality in places like where my formative years were spent, the greater L.A. area, had gotten about as bad as it could get.

And so, what did we end up there with INSTEAD? Uh-huh, YOU guessed it! The air quality generally bein' a HELL of lot better in that area NOW DAYS than it was back then and DESPITE mind you there presently being a hell of lot more people and cars in that area than there was back then, THAT'S what!

Yeah, doncha just hate those damn tree-hugging do-gooder Democrats, sometimes?!

(...btw and for the record, my penultimate line up there would be the ONLY damn reason I'd move from that area and retire to beautiful picturesque Sedona AZ...yep, that whole "There's now too many  freakin' people AND thus too damn much traffic there now" thing...nope, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with either the "politics" of the place NOR my "finances"...this comment made JUST for "those here" who seemingly won't be able to understand THAT concept as well!)

LOL

I think back to when I first started to drive - three cars available were '57 Chevy, 53 Chevy and 60 Comet.  And then considering all the cars between then and now - thank God for government regulations on emissions, safety, fuel economy and so forth.  We are SO much better off and alive because of them.  Still not safe enough, but that is an ongoing issue.

• Like 1

Our country should already have 90% of cars running on clean natural gas, but democrats blocked it every year. So that dirty air you complain about Dargo was due to the ones you voted for. The same goes for the big rigs that belch diesel.

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

I think back to when I first started to drive - three cars available were '57 Chevy, 53 Chevy and 60 Comet.  And then considering all the cars between then and now - thank God for government regulations on emissions, safety, fuel economy and so forth.  We are SO much better off and alive because of them.  Still not safe enough, but that is an ongoing issue.

Yep Cid, and we can also include AND give our thanks for all THOSE governmental moves as well in regard to how much better off today we are while driving in our cars. GREAT point here!

Although and as a gearhead here, I'll now add that there's still somethin' about the style of those old cars that in so many cases the safer, more efficient, cleaner, better handling and faster cars of today have never been able to match.

(...and I'm sure you know what I'm talkin' about here, don't ya)  ;) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Our country should already have 90% of cars running on clean natural gas, but democrats blocked it every year. So that dirty air you complain about Dargo was due to the ones you voted for. The same goes for the big rigs that belch diesel.

WHAT???

Dude (and sorry for using this "Californian expression" here...dude) but do you EVER make any sense around here at all???

I mean, are you NOW attempting to insinuate here it was somehow the Democrats of California and SOLELY of those in that political party at the time of the pre-emisions era who should be blamed for why it was that Mikey who lived across the street from me and who suffered from Asthma, when I'd knock on his door and ask if he could come out and play, his mother would tell me that he couldn't because of it being a Red Alert Smog Day?

(...yep, sorry "dude", but sometimes you JUST don't make any sense at ALL around here...Well, it's either THAT or just LIKE your fat boy politcal idol, YOUR command of the English language is as wanting as his is and thus your ability to express your opinions in order to be better understood is as wanting as his is as well, anyway)

• Like 1

Natural gas blocked from Democrats' clean electricity plan

House Democrats have decided to keep natural gas out of the “Clean Electricity Payment Program,” the centerpiece climate policy of their $3.5 trillion infrastructure and social spending reconciliation package.

Democrats also blocked natural gas for producing electricity, thinking we can all somehow make it on solar and wind. Just wait for the blackouts.

13 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Natural gas blocked from Democrats' clean electricity plan

House Democrats have decided to keep natural gas out of the “Clean Electricity Payment Program,” the centerpiece climate policy of their $3.5 trillion infrastructure and social spending reconciliation package.

Democrats also blocked natural gas for producing electricity, thinking we can all somehow make it on solar and wind. Just wait for the blackouts.

Well then in THIS regard, I'm gonna have to actually AGREE with you here..."dude"!

So then why didn't you express THIS idea in your PREVIOUS posting here..."DUDE"???

(...ya know, you probably would've saved me a hell of lot of those keystrokes IF you had, AND besides perhaps then ALSO not then accusing YOUR vocabulary of being as limited in scope as your fat boy political idol's is, AS WELL!)

28 minutes ago, Dargo said:

WHAT???

Dude (and sorry for using this "Californian expression" here...dude) but do you EVER make any sense around here at all???

I mean, are you NOW attempting to insinuate here it was somehow the Democrats of California and SOLELY of those in that political party at the time of the pre-emisions era who should be blamed for why it was that Mikey who lived across the street from me and who suffered from Asthma, when I'd knock on his door and ask if he could come out and play, his mother would tell me that he couldn't because of it being a Red Alert Smog Day?

(...yep, sorry "dude", but sometimes you JUST don't make any sense at ALL around here...Well, it's either THAT or just LIKE your fat boy politcal idol, YOUR command of the English language is as wanting as his is and thus your ability to express your opinions in order to be better understood is as wanting as his is as well, anyway)

Also, natural gas is a fossil fuel.  And we don't need to be creating more demand for fossil fuels.

9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well then in THIS regard, I'm gonna have to actually AGREE with you here..."dude"!

So then why didn't you express THIS idea in your PREVIOUS posting here..."DUDE"???

(...ya know, you probably would've saved me a hell of lot of those keystrokes IF you had, AND besides perhaps then ALSO not then accusing YOUR vocabulary of being as limited as your fat boy political idol's is, as well!)

He's regularly a shill for natural gas, just as there's one frequent poster who shills for oil, and one for coal.

They're either all on the payroll, or heavily invested. Otherwise, it's even more pathetic to see the amount of head-in-the-sand bootlicking they frequently do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

He's regularly a shill for natural gas, just as there's one frequent poster who shills for oil, and one for coal.

They're either all on the payroll, or heavily invested. Otherwise, it's even more pathetic to see the amount of head-in-the-sand bootlicking they frequently do.

I have only seen one natural gas powered vehicle and that belonged to a gas company.

23 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Also, natural gas is a fossil fuel.

True, but it is still more "clean-burning" than coal is. 

And, which I recall the idea of the burning of coal in the process of creating electrical energy, being brought up by Mr. MM here himself.

Aah, but in MM's defense here, the idea of a totally green electrical grid IS something that will have to accomplished by this target date of 2035.

SEE MM? All the you had to do in your FIRST and ORIGINAL posting of yours here, was NOT be such a damn "man-of-few-words" that you USUALLY are around here and by your typical posting of one over-simplified little comment immediately following some news item you'd found and like you did again THIS time once again!

(...aah, but then again, I suppose while doin' somethin' like that, you'd have probably been gritting your teeth the whole time while typing out such a thing, and due to this THEN requiring you be a little more, wait for it here, CIRCUMSPECT in the delivery of your message here, huh!)

24 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I have only seen one natural gas powered vehicle

That's because they were blocked by democrats. The big rigs running diesel could have all been converted to natural gas 15 years ago but they lied about it to push wind and solar (which isn't reliable).  Now democrats plan to convert rigs to Hydrogen but that is years away due to inflation and Biden's supply chain issues, so the whole US electric grid will collapse on itself someday.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Many of the buses around here are powered by natural gas.

Actually there are a couple in a city or two near here, but most are going for electric buses.

36 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

That's because they were blocked by democrats. The big rigs running diesel could have all been converted to natural gas 15 years ago but they lied about it to push wind and solar (which isn't reliable).  Now democrats plan to convert rigs to Hydrogen but that is years away due to inflation and Biden's supply chain issues, so the whole US electric grid will collapse on itself someday.

It is truly sad that you know not of where you speak.  

The supply chain issue began under your man-child god Trump, so I guess he and the Republicans are totally to blame for that problem.  And then of course for the supply chain issues and high prices and inflation and so on.

Regardless, if natural gas would have been a solution, the truck manufacturers and the major trucking companies would have done it years ago.