Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nightclub bans ‘staring’ without ‘verbal consent’ in ‘woke’ policy

Nightclub bans ‘staring’ without ‘verbal consent’ in  ‘woke’ policy

The days of checking someone out at a club are over.

An Australia nightclub said it will remove people who are caught staring at someone without that person’s consent.

Club 77 in Sydney included unwanted attention from strangers in its updated “zero-tolerance policy” on harassment.

The venue posted the woke update on its Instagram account, saying the club is “not a place to come to if your sole purpose is to ‘pick up.’ ”

“As a nightclub, we encourage you to interact with strangers, however any engagement MUST begin with verbal consent,” the statement read. “This also applies if you are, for example, staring at someone from afar.”

The club has hired designated “safety officers” — who will be wearing a pink hi-visibility vest — to handle complaints and concerns.

It's spreading around the world like a virus now.

9 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Nightclub bans ‘staring’ without ‘verbal consent’ in  ‘woke’ policy

The days of checking someone out at a club are over.

An Australia nightclub said it will remove people who are caught staring at someone without that person’s consent.

Club 77 in Sydney included unwanted attention from strangers in its updated “zero-tolerance policy” on harassment.

The venue posted the woke update on its Instagram account, saying the club is “not a place to come to if your sole purpose is to ‘pick up.’ ”

“As a nightclub, we encourage you to interact with strangers, however any engagement MUST begin with verbal consent,” the statement read. “This also applies if you are, for example, staring at someone from afar.”

The club has hired designated “safety officers” — who will be wearing a pink hi-visibility vest — to handle complaints and concerns.

It's spreading around the world like a virus now.

It is a privately owned nightclub so I see no issue with it.    Note that some nightclubs and bars are going alcohol free.     

If one doesn't like these policies don't go there.   Unless the government IMPOSES such policies why the outrage? This is just another example of a free marketplace in a capitalist society.      (and just another silly outrage thread).

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

It is a privately owned nightclub so I see no issue with it.    Note that some nightclubs and bars are going alcohol free.     

If one doesn't like these policies don't go there.   Unless the government IMPOSES such policies why the outrage? This is just another example of a free marketplace in a capitalist society.      (and just another silly outrage thread).

And it's halfway around the world, to boot.

17 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

It is a privately owned nightclub so I see no issue with it  Note that some nightclubs and bars are going alcohol free.     

So, you would be OK with a private club that prohibited serving African-Americans or Asians?   That was the philosophy that the South used to justify not serving blacks.

1 minute ago, Sukhov said:

Are you really comparing enforcing restaurant etiquette to Jim Crow? :huh: 

No just making a point that because something is a "private club," they do not have unlimited authority over customers and so forth.

Just now, ElCid said:

No just making a point that because something is a "private club," they do not have unlimited authority over customers and so forth.

If behavior is disruptive the person must leave. That is standard practice the world over. Banning staring is a bit much but I see the rationale behind it because women face so much harassment in our society.

Just now, Sukhov said:

If behavior is disruptive the person must leave. That is standard practice the world over. Banning staring is a bit much but I see the rationale behind it because women face so much harassment in our society.

Note I said unlimited authority.

This does bring up an interesting question.  How does one obtain and document they have permission to stare at a woman?

Times sure have changed since I went to nightclubs in Sydney when I was on R&R from Vietnam.  I would guess 50% of their business was American servicemen staring at the Australian women looking to get picked up.   The women were probably 30% of their business. 😀

Good luck enforcing THAT ...

Next Thing Ya Know.. people will be hugging, kissing, and caressing each other with mace, Billie-clubs, brass knuckles, and oh - don't forget -- lots of expletives... .

Ohhh.. Wait ..🤔.