Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

actor vs actress the needless liberal demonization of a word

liberals have it in for the word actress now. they wanna exorcise it from our vocabulary. I see an article on huffpost saying they're gonna shoot 'actor' nichelle nichols' ashes into space. why must liberals have a problem with calling a woman actor an actress??? what the holy hell is possibly demeaning about calling a woman an actress?

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

liberals have it in for the word actress now. they wanna exorcise it from our vocabulary. I see an article on huffpost saying they're gonna shoot 'actor' nichelle nichols' ashes into space. why must liberals have a problem with calling a woman actor an actress??? what the holy hell is possibly demeaning about calling a woman an actress?

No mention of the Film Independent Spirit Awards' announcement that acting categories will no longer be gender-based?  Awards will be presented for "best lead performance" and "best supporting performance."

Ybz5reh6?format=jpg&name=small

Well, look at all this THIS way then!

This sure takes the guesswork out of which categories to nominate those thespians out there who decide to undergo gender reassignment surgery, now doesn't it.

(...hey, I said "thespians", NOT "lesbians" here, remember!)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

This isn't politics, it's economy.

Uh-huh, and I'll bet the very excuse Nip is gonna think of after the moderators around here move this baby over to the "you-know-where" forum!

LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

It's a gender binary term. 

What will be fun is watching the academy deal with the new rules of gender vocabulary. How long until they give an award for "outstanding performance by an actor with a vagina"?

Or, even better, they should eliminate the sex-based distinctions entirely and give only one award each in supporting and leading actor categories. 

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Uh-huh, and I'll bet the very excuse Nip is gonna think of after the moderators around here move this baby over to the "you-know-where" forum!

LOL

Well, even though I SO hate quoting myself around here, I certainly called THAT move (to this forum) correctly, now didn't I?!!!

(...and NOW the only question here would be if Nip actually MIGHT think this is all really a case of "economics" and not "politics", huh!)

Yeh, Nip, you're right, as always.

And how about that term "Doctor" that gets applied to both genders?

Why not "Doctoress" if the medic is a woman? That way you'll be well prepared in advance, if you haven't actually seen the professional, especially if any bending over and coughing is involved.

And what's with calling a woman a "liberal" when she is clearly a "liberaless?"

Just common sense, right, Nip?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

trump-the-horror.jpg?fit=2549,1444&ssl=1

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Ronald Reagan called female actors,  actors.    He was the head of the Screen ACTORS Guild.   

This has been a term used for over a century to represent everyone in the profession.    The term actress became more in usage related to the Oscars.

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Ronald Reagan called female actors,  actors.    He was the head of the Screen ACTORS Guild.   

This has been a term used for over a century to represent everyone in the profession.    The term actress became more in usage related to the Oscars.

This has been going on for years and I like it.  Makes it so much simpler to find things and to post or write things.

What about baseball players or tennis players?  Maybe should develop playerettes or playeresses?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hamradio said:

So is "it" pictured below actor or actress?  The universe needs to know.

Work-in-Progress-Pat.jpg

And then too, there's----

Studio_publicity_Hope_Emerson.jpg__71545

;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

And then too, there's----

A-HEM!

And what, pray tell, are you insinuating, Sepiatone?

That the gender of Hope Emerson (Say it loud and there's music playing, Say it soft and it's almost like praying) was ambiguous . . . that she wasn't a woman?

What a Character!

OIP.X40a6O7M6nbhfAwA8EBQqAHaLH?pid=ImgDe     30wb.jpg

20-ishwb.jpg     30ishwb.jpg&ehk=HmLZaC35bcKQER5n1iO0nNPA

hqdefault.jpg     0022.jpg&ehk=E9SHnoKqImRFuSGSYsrWqxy2riD

Hope Emerson's memorable entrance in . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, jakeem said:

No mention of the Film Independent Spirit Awards' announcement that acting categories will no longer be gender-based?  Awards will be presented for "best lead performance" and "best supporting performance."

Ybz5reh6?format=jpg&name=small

The Canadian Screen awards have decided the same thing going forward.  I think it is brainless.  Not because of sex equality but because everyone knows that good parts in movies go to men over women by at least two to one.   They are inviting people to be even MORE politically correct when they decide who to vote for.

But not that I give a wit about the OP's concern about 'words' and whether they are evidence of liberalism.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

The Canadian Screen awards have decided the same thing going forward.  I think it is brainless.  Not because of sex equality but because everyone knows that good parts in movies go to men over women by at least two to one.   They are inviting people to be even MORE politically correct when they decide who to vote for.

But not that I give a wit about the OP's concern about 'words' and whether they are evidence of liberalism.

The Fangoria horror awards did the same thing this past year. By attempting to demonstrate gender parity, they've instead reduced the number of "winners", and thus the promotional boost for both the films/shows in question, and the careers of any potential winners. And I would think dollars speak louder than identity-politics backslapping. 

I just find it hysterical that in the Season 3 "Star Trek" episode titled "The Savage Curtain," Nichols' character Uhura is introduced to a time-transplanted Abraham Lincoln (Lee Bergere). The 16th presidenr refers to her as "a charming Negress" -- and then apologizes if his words were offensive. Uhura responds: "You see, in our century, we’ve learned not to fear words.” 

See the source image

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I just find it hysterical that in the Season 3 "Star Trek" episode titled "The Savage Curtain," Nichols' character Uhura is introduced to a time-transplanted Abraham Lincoln (Lee Bergere). The 16th presidenr refers to her as "a charming Negress" -- and then apologizes if his words were offensive. Uhura responds: "You see, in our century, we’ve learned not to fear words.” 

See the source image

Have a heck of a time in the 21st century - must fear everything  not being PC or someone offended to the max.

35 minutes ago, hamradio said:

In the Peanut universe does Santa say ho ho ho or wah wah wah?

;)

I would think this would all depend upon Peppermint Patty being interested in what Santa would have to say, ham. 

(...lets say, if he would start goin' on about the climate of the North Pole and how Global Warming has been affecting him, all Patty would probably hear in THIS case would be "wah wah wah", wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

The Fangoria horror awards did the same thing this past year. By attempting to demonstrate gender parity, they've instead reduced the number of "winners", and thus the promotional boost for both the films/shows in question, and the careers of any potential winners. And I would think dollars speak louder than identity-politics backslapping. 

Maybe go with best actor in a female role and best actor in a male role.  Regardless of how people feel male actors dominate the movie industry.