Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alaska is counting for weeks thanks to idiotic ranked choice voting

Nobody has any idea who won Alaska's special House election held a week prior. In fact, the outcome won't be known until next month.

Why?

Because Alaska went and adopted the idiotic, needlessly complicated ranked choice voting system in a 2020 referendum that just barely passed. Voters might want to consider a do-over and rank "no" first on their ballots this time, except that wouldn't guarantee that it would lose.

Based on past experience with this system, it takes weeks to sort out even the simplest election result. This is already happening with the three-way race in the state's special election. It is only slight hyperbole to say that the outcome of this special election race will be determined with barely any time for the winner to be sworn in since it's up again in the November election. Meanwhile, state election officials and the media are trying to gaslight Alaskans, telling them that this is a good thing.

Here is another example of rigged voting that adds layers of complexity to allow fraud to happen. They need to cancel all absentee voting and go back to when elections were honest, before Democrats learned how to steal elections.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

Nobody has any idea who won Alaska's special House election held a week prior. In fact, the outcome won't be known until next month.

Why?

Because Alaska went and adopted the idiotic, needlessly complicated ranked choice voting system in a 2020 referendum that just barely passed. Voters might want to consider a do-over and rank "no" first on their ballots this time, except that wouldn't guarantee that it would lose.

Based on past experience with this system, it takes weeks to sort out even the simplest election result. This is already happening with the three-way race in the state's special election. It is only slight hyperbole to say that the outcome of this special election race will be determined with barely any time for the winner to be sworn in since it's up again in the November election. Meanwhile, state election officials and the media are trying to gaslight Alaskans, telling them that this is a good thing.

Here is another example of rigged voting that adds layers of complexity to allow fraud to happen. They need to cancel all absentee voting and go back to when elections were honest, before Democrats learned how to steal elections.

More misinformation.

Absentee voting has been around since at least the Civil War.  Union soldiers in the field voted absentee and helped Lincoln win reelection.  I voted absentee in 1968 and it had been around for quite some time before that.

Republicans steal elections; Democrats protect the right to vote for all citizens.

2 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Why?

I think that this is actually what bugs you about this:

https://alaskapublic.org/2022/08/26/peltolas-lead-widens-in-u-s-house-race-with-another-batch-of-first-place-votes-counted/

3 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Why?

It was Republicans in Alaska that put in ranked choice voting.   Also note that a few states are allowing counties in their state to go back to hand counting:  which counties  are doing so?   The ones run by republicans.      

So you're wrong yet again;   republicans are doing these things due to the paranoid spread by Trump and MAGA folks like you, about fraudulent elections. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

What bugs MM is that fair and open elections where all citizens are given the actual right to vote do not favor angry old while males for right extremists, except in a diminishing number of locations.

1 hour ago, laffite said:

I would like to see simple hand counting restored. (Not the "ranked choice" thing)

Hand counting is less accurate than use of machine,  as  well as way,  way slower.  
Why would you wish to use an 18th century method in the 21st century?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Hand counting is less accurate than use of machine,  as  well as way,  way slower.  
Why would you wish to use an 18th century method in the 21st century?

How do you know it's less accurate?

The 21st C has not been so great. LOL 

Traditionally, election workers have a pretty good reputation of being honest.

I have never been comfortable with the machines, where the smallest little tweak in the programming in any particularly unit could result in many redirected votes. 

2 hours ago, laffite said:

How do you know it's less accurate?

The 21st C has not been so great. LOL 

Traditionally, election workers have a pretty good reputation of being honest.

I have never been comfortable with the machines, where the smallest little tweak in the programming in any particularly unit could result in many redirected votes. 

Today's Los Angeles Times had an article on hand counting and they said that studies indicate that hand counting is slightly less accurate than machines.     Note to ensure accuracy a Nevada county uses 4 people that sit together to count each vote (with 3 or more observers).    Now this method is highly accurate but it takes around an hour to count around 100 votes!

Note that accuracy has NOTHING to do with election workers being honest or not.   That is a MAGA talking-point (like the need for hand counting over machines).

I guess you're a big fan of Sidney Powell.

(hey,  I know you're not MAGA,  which is why I was surprised that you fell for the MAGA hype that hand counting needs to come back).

4 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Today's Los Angeles Times had an article on hand counting and they said that studies indicate that hand counting is slightly less accurate than machines.     Note to ensure accuracy a Nevada county uses 4 people that sit together to count each vote (with 3 or more observers).    Now this method is highly accurate but it takes around an hour to count around 100 votes!

Note that accuracy has NOTHING to do with election workers being honest or not.   That is a MAGA talking-point (like the need for hand counting over machines).

I guess you're a big fan of Sidney Powell.

(hey,  I know you're not MAGA,  which is why I was surprised that you fell for the MAGA hype that hand counting needs to come back).

i can't get the article, I am not a subscriber.  The Times has an attractive preliminary offer and i may consider that.

Meantime If you would kindly link it to me, I will read it (if I can access the article that way).

Not sure why MAGA prefer hand counting. Is is easier to defraud with hand counting?  Are they clinging to stolen election nonsense? Is it their belief in that canard that makes then think that hand counting will keep that from happening again, while stupidly refusing to believe that it never happened anyway. The Democrats are much less likely to steal an election that the Republicans.  It's the Republicans that are the party of gerrymandering and vote suppression, and God knows what else to sway an election (including persistently beyond reason deny election outcomes that they don't win).

I like the Nevada method. Perfect.  Four per table, double check check check. It doesn't matter how long it takes. There are 2 1/2 month between Election Day and Inauguration day. And plenty of time for validating the Electors, so long as the rabid white-walker maniacs can avoid being influenced by some disgusting POS demagogue.

13 hours ago, laffite said:

Not sure why MAGA prefer hand counting. Is is easier to defraud with hand counting?  Are they clinging to stolen election nonsense?

Of course when a Republican says they wish to change how voting is done it relates to the stolen election nonsense.   Man, sorry to call you clueless yet again, but you really are if you don't understand what MAGA republicans are doing here.    Also while they complain getting the results take to long when their candidate is declared the loser, weeks after election day (since hand counting and other methods often take weeks to tally results),  they will be able to say to their base that fraud occurred because,  hey,  look,  why did it take so long to tally results?   That is  evidence the results are cooked!!!!! 

To say it doesn't matter how long it takes it misguided at best.    The longer it takes to declare the MAGA candidate lost,  the more time MAGA folks have time to gather weapons!  (yea,  this is a serious comment,  because that is what is going on in these counties;  if their candidate loses and they believe it is due to fraud they will fight back with weapons!!!!!).

All right then, appease the idiots LOL, as that's what you are doing.  At least they would not be able to seize voting machines. Your Maga friends (as you seem to be manipulated by them) are not going to be happy anyway.  Computers should not be trusted to count votes. Computers can be programmed by bad guys. A general view.

13 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Of course... [etc, etc, etc, blah blah blah]

:lol:

MOVIEMADNESS,  good point on the Alaska mess, but further, I have been baffled by cumbersome vote counting practices in general.

Other countries are able to vote with dispatch, and the results are virtually always known the same night, or at latest, next morning.  Having dual citizenship,  I've voted in both Canadian and American elections,  and am so disappointed that my beloved U.S.A. keeps having counting snafus and ridiculous delays.

OK,  any system can bungle once or twice;   when it happens in multiple election cycles, something is seriously afoot.   

Good grief, just go to paper ballots if the ostensible "technology"  cannot be fixed.   

35 minutes ago, laffite said:

All right then, appease the idiots LOL, as that's what you are doing.  At least they would not be able to seize voting machines. Your Maga friends (as you seem to be manipulated by them) are not going to be happy anyway.  Computers should not be trusted to count votes. Computers can be programmed by bad guys. A general view.

:lol:

It is you that are appeasing the idiots by buying into their crap and going along with their silly use of old-methods because of paranoia. 

That makes anyone that buys into MAGA crap like this an idiot.    We do NOT need to go back to hand-counting expect in a very limited way when the election results are very close in a specific district \ county.

I'm not buying into their crap.  I was not aware of their preference. I walked myself into a trap, so to speak.

My original comment was intended as an essentially innocuous musing. I didn't expect to get this far. It was not intended to buttress their preference.  Let's just say that all other things being equal, hand counting is intrinsically more accurate and less subject to interference than computers. That it takes so long ignites the right, but everything does that. They are hopelessly intractable.

Instead of insulting me, why don't link the article, as requested.  Maybe I can learn something from it.

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

It is ...

27 minutes ago, laffite said:

I'm not buying into their crap.  I was not aware of their preference. I walked myself into a trap, so to speak.

My original comment was intended as an essentially innocuous musing. I didn't expect to get this far. It was not intended to buttress their preference.  Let's just say that all other things being equal, hand counting is intrinsically more accurate and less subject to interference than computers. That it takes so long ignites the right, but everything does that. They are hopelessly intractable.

Instead of insulting me, why don't link the article, as requested.  Maybe I can learn something from it.

I understand your distrust of machine counting. The computerized voting systems have been under suspicion since at least the 2000 election.

The thing is, the MAGA folks will blame any and everything if their candidate loses, be it machines ("They were hacked!"), or hand counts ("Those ballots are bogus!"), or absentee/mail-in voting, or anything other than accept that their candidate legitimately lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1