Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ava Gardner @ 100 ! Ava Garner Festival October 7-9 in Smithfield North Carolina - Celebrating Ava

12 hours ago, cinecrazydc said:

Message board posted before I had a chance to hit the button !!

Official festival website -

https://www.johnstoncountync.org/ava-gardner/visit-the-museum/ava-gardner-festival/

I have visited that museum many years ago, it is a treat for Ava fans and film buffs. I especially was interested in her years with Frank Sinatra, they were very tumultuous since both of them were notorious hot-heads. 

I wonder if the musical tribute will have "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man Of Mine" which Ava sang in Show Boat (1951).

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 9:23 AM, Sepiatone said:

DARGO is probably already working out his triptik!  :D 

Sepiatone

LOL

Oh, I would be alright Sepia, but I believe that this is the same weekend as the annual Sedona Classic Car Show.

(...and you know how this gearhead here also feels about that sort'a thing as well, don't ya)  ;) 

• Haha 2

one of the most stunning actresses in movie history.

i mean, film history is loaded with beautiful actresses but very few are "stunning"

my faves were two little played movies that deserve better. "pandora and the flying dutchman" and "one touch of venus"

"one touch of venus" was an odd one. by that i mean for the longest time i just thought it was a romcom fantasy.  actually, it turns out there's a TON of songs in it. - it's  a MUSICAL!!!! well, it was a musical on broadway that had a lot of numbers chopped out for the film. anyway,,,,it's weird

• Like 1

7 hours ago, miltk said:

one of the most stunning actresses in movie history.

i mean, film history is loaded with beautiful actresses but very few are "stunning"

my faves were two little played movies that deserve better. "pandora and the flying dutchman" and "one touch of venus"

"one touch of venus" was an odd one. by that i mean for the longest time i just thought it was a romcom fantasy.  actually, it turns out there's a TON of songs in it. - it's  a MUSICAL!!!! well, it was a musical on broadway that had a lot of numbers chopped out for the film. anyway,,,,it's weird

I can't recall any woman looking more beautiful in color than Ava did in Pandora and the Flying Dutchman.    

Criterion Confessions: PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN - FILMSTRUCK

• Like 3

And, Ava is once again terrific as the seductive femme fatale who is irresistable to James Mason and his obsession with her, in 1949's East Side, West Side.

(...and I've always thought by contrasting her acting in this one and with that in her star-making role in 1946's The Killers,  one can see a clear progression in her acting skills attained during those three intervening years)

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 8:21 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I have visited that museum many years ago, it is a treat for Ava fans and film buffs. I especially was interested in her years with Frank Sinatra, they were very tumultuous since both of them were notorious hot-heads. 

I wonder if the musical tribute will have "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man Of Mine" which Ava sang in Show Boat (1951).

Of course, Ava didn't actually sing this song (or "Bill") in Show Boat.  That honor went to Annette Warren.  But Ava did originally record the songs and they were used   on the MGM soundtrack album.  It was determined that her photo could not be shown on the album cover without her voice on the recording.  Her singing voice for both songs is also included as an "Extra" on the recently released Blu-ray of the movie.

• Thanks 2