Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Washington: Behind closed Doors

the 1977 ABC-TV miniseries. one of the best political melodramas ever made with Jason Robards as President Richard Monckton and Cliff Robertson as CIA director William Martin and many other television stalwarts.

yet from tcm the same unchanging rotation of already too much beaten into the ground fare. very good...not! on tcm we can see Cliff Robertson as either JFK or Joe Cantwell but not in this terrific blockbuster miniseries that is never shown on cable. 20 years ago it was shown a number of times on A&E but now nowhere. to see it you must order it on DVD. tcm like many other outlets is mercilessly starving us of some pretty good fare.

it has great theme music by Dominic Frontiere

just one of many well-done dramatic scenes

• Like 1

Dude! My gal Stefanie is billed third here in this thing, right?!

f2yuObuhgAGAUux6U1CeLMahac9.jpg

And so OF COURSE I'd be all-in with ya here. my man!  ;)

(...and if for no other reason than THIS!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

the 1977 ABC-TV miniseries. one of the best political melodramas ever made with Jason Robards as President Richard Monckton and Cliff Robertson as CIA director William Martin and many other television stalwarts.

yet from tcm the same unchanging rotation of already too much beaten into the ground fare. very good...not! on tcm we can see Cliff Robertson as either JFK or Joe Cantwell but not in this terrific blockbuster miniseries that is never shown on cable. 20 years ago it was shown a number of times on A&E but now nowhere. to see it you must order it on DVD. tcm like many other outlets is mercilessly starving us of some pretty good fare.

it has great theme music by Dominic Frontiere

just one of many well-done dramatic scenes

I think you answered your own complaint - it's a mini-series.  Has TCM ever shown a mini-series?  Why should TCM show a TV mini-series?  Also it is 12.5 hours long.

The fact that nobody is showing it should indicate why it isn't shown.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

I think you answered your own complaint - it's a mini-series.  Has TCM ever shown a mini-series?  Why should TCM show a TV mini-series?

you're an -----! it's better than The Best Man and Seven Days in May combined as well as advise & consent.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

I will finally see it again because I just ordered it on DVD. I will wait on slacker outfits like tcm no longer.

:angry:

Good, does that mean you might be leaving this board?

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

you're an -----! it's better than The Best Man and Seven Days in May combined as well as advise & consent.

I'm a what?  You still don't seem to get it.  It is a 12.5 hour TV mini-series and that is not what TCM is in business for.  If all the streaming services have not picked it up and nobody else is showing it, that should tell you something.

Also, it appears that you actually have not seen it in 20+ years based on your post and not owning the DVD's.

7 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I will finally see it again because I just ordered it on DVD. I will wait on slacker outfits like tcm no longer.

:angry:

Eh! well look at it THIS way then, Nip.

If TCM WOULD ever show this thing (that once again stars the gorgeous Stefanie Powers), you probably see at least half a dozen One Post Wonders coming on these boards complaining that this thing wasn't in Black & White, AND that it was made after 1960!!!

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dargo said:

Eh! well look at it THIS way then, Nip.

If TCM ever WOULD ever show this thing (that once again stars the gorgeous Stefanie Powers), you probably see at least half a dozen One Post Wonders coming on these boards complaining that this thing wasn't in Black & White, AND that it was made after 1960!!!

LOL

---- stefanie powers.  I prefer gorgeous Lara Parker. what is really funny is some of you rushing to the defense of an outfit with a relentless unceasing rotation of the same fare year after year after year.

now THAT'S funny.

:)

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

---- stefanie powers.  I prefer gorgeous Lara Parker. what is really funny is some of you rushing to the defense of an outfit with a relentless unceasing rotation of the same fare year after year after year.

now THAT'S funny.

Nah, I'm not "rushing to TCM's defense" here, Nip ol' boy. 

Nope, and 'cause there ARE times that I ALSO think it would be nice if TCM would occasionally present some of the better and more noteworthy miniseries and made-for-TV movies made in the decades of the 1970s and 1980s. You know, such as say, Rich Man, Poor Man, and Special Bulletin .

However, knowing that doing such a thing DOES kind of run counter to TCM's "brand", I'm NOT going to get MY nose out of joint because of it, and like you're doing here, THAT'S all!

(...and btw, "Lara Parker OVER Stefanie Powers"???...well, all I can say HERE is that I HAVE always known that MY tastes have always run JUST that little bit better than yours do, dude!) 

LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What's TCM doing showing a 12 1/2 hour TV mini series? Is this what we're coming to on this channel? Is this the kind of broadcast  that the new management wants? Is TCM so craven that it bends to every whim ever demanded of it by the new bosses? There is no integrity! There is no sanity or continuing reverence for the films we love from the Golden Age! TCM, you once had my respect but that is no longer the case if this kind of broadcast is a reflection of the future.

Oh, wait, they're not showing it.

Never mind.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nah, I'm not "rushing to TCM's defense" here, Nip ol' boy. 

Nope, and 'cause there ARE times that I ALSO think it would be nice if TCM would occasionally present some of the better and more noteworthy miniseries and made-for-TV movies made in the decades of the 1970s and 1980s. You know, such as say, Rich Man, Poor Man, and Special Bulletin .

However, knowing that doing such a thing DOES kind of run counter to TCM's "brand", I'm NOT going to get MY nose out of joint because of it, and like you're doing here, THAT'S all!

(...and btw, "Lara Parker OVER Stefanie Powers"???...well, all I can say HERE is that I HAVE always known that MY tastes have always run JUST that little bit better than yours do, dude!) 

LOL

I enjoyed Rich Man, Poor Man, but taking up valuable space on TCM - I don't think so.   Very, very seriously doubt I would watch it again.

I really liked The Winds of War and War and Remembrance mini-series, but would not watch them again.  Found The Winds of War on streaming and in good quality so I started watching it.   Got through first episode and then never watched another.

TCM is not the place for mini-series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

it's better than The Best Man and Seven Days in May combined as well as advise & consent.

Is it better than Hot Spell?

• Haha 1

You know, NIPKOW, the Fox Movie Retro Channel has been airing RACE WITH THE DEVIL (1975) a LOT lately.  Lara Parker features prominently in it.  Have you endeavoured to switch over to Fox Movie Retro and check out Lara & Co. trying to get away from Lucifer's Minions? 

----------------------------------

ALSO:  Hey, TCM, howzabout showing DARK SECRET OF HARVEST HOME (1978-Tvm).  Now that would be great.  See, this TVM was released on video in an unfortunately shortened version on 'MCA Home Video' running some 118 minutes . . . but it should run approx. 200 minutes (or 3½ hours). 

GONE WITH THE WIND runs longer than DARK SECRET OF HARVEST HOME so I'm thinkin' TCM should politely ask Universal to lease the full-length version of 'Harvest Home' so everyone with even a passing interest can watch it in its entirety.  Alreet then.  :D

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

I enjoyed Rich Man, Poor Man, but taking up valuable space on TCM - I don't think so.   Very, very seriously doubt I would watch it again.

I really liked The Winds of War and War and Remembrance mini-series, but would not watch them again.  Found The Winds of War on streaming and in good quality so I started watching it.   Got through first episode and then never watched another.

TCM is not the place for mini-series.

I agree with you, TCM is not the channel to air mini-series but maybe some channel that runs old tv shows, Iike Me-TV.  They could run an episode a night.  I wouldn't mind revisiting some of the old mini-series.  Or maybe NBC could air them in the 10 O'clock hour now that they are considering getting rid that slot of network programming! 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

I think you answered your own complaint - it's a mini-series.  Has TCM ever shown a mini-series?  Why should TCM show a TV mini-series?  Also it is 12.5 hours long.

Most made-for-network TV movies and miniseries--unless they're enshrined on video, like Roots--don't tend to have their copyrights extended by their studios/producers, and most eventually find their way to YouTube or the Public-domain backwaters of Amazon Prime.

(I've been finding quite a few 70's ABC Tuesday-night movie classics turning up on Prime and TubiTV, and I'm still in the middle of William Shatner in The People (1972), that I couldn't get to stay up to see when I was a kid.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ElCid said:

TCM did recently show a TV miniseries I forget the name of as part of the African American film series but it was only two hours long. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 10:51 AM, TomJH said:

it has been pointed out that Washington: Behind Closed Doors is a 12.5 hour long miniseries and that somehow it is not reasonable to expect TCM to show it BUT...how many hours has TCM already expended with numerous showings of GONE WITH THE WIND, 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, GUESS WHO IS COMING TO DINNER, ETC, ETC, ETC?

:D

• Sad 1

I coulda come right out and called tcm programmers a buncha cheapskates but I think they woulda used even that as an excuse to ban me. tcm does not like any criticisms aimed at their most obvious difficiency...CHEAPNESS!

tcm ARE NOT these uncompromising lovers of cinema as they like to portray themselves because if they truly were they would proudly air two things...

the British Film Institute's 2012 restored british cut of Hammer Studio's 1958 Dracula...THEY HAVE NOT...also do not ever expect to see the british version of William Cameron Menzie's Invaders From Mars (1953) which is superior to our american version incorporating scenes especially filmed for it's UK distribution.

uncomprising lovers of cinema WOULD SHOW what I have mentioned...

TCM, they do not.

maintain their ever unchanging rotation of cheapness if they must BUT DON'T TELL ME how much they love cinema because the proof is in their selections...

and theirs stink!

:D

I HAVE SPOKEN.

Vintage Applause GIF

• Haha 1

Y'know, TCM HAS been known to feature old '30's and '40's SERIALS,  usually on Saturday afternoons.  So perhaps their could be a possibility of putting a mini series on the schedule.  But then it would depend, like with other movies they show, on availability and all that "rights"  stuff that keeps other movies the TCM audience would enjoy seeing on the station from being seen.  

But maybe Nip might benefit from ceasing his immature rantings about TCM being "cheap" and pull out his wallet and give them a hand.  ;) 

Whitefang

• Like 1

I watched it a couple years ago after buying it used on DVD. I thought it was lousy. The Watergate story but told with fictional characters because the story was too recent and the filmmakers feared legal backlash. It seems dopey and quaint given how much coverage the scandal got using everyone's real names. A waste of a bunch of hours. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I watched it a couple years ago after buying it used on DVD. I thought it was lousy. The Watergate story but told with fictional characters because the story was too recent and the filmmakers feared legal backlash. It seems dopey and quaint given how much coverage the scandal got using everyone's real names. A waste of a bunch of hours. 

But...but...it has Stefanie Powers in it, Lawrence???!!!

(...certainly THAT would make it worth showin' it right THERE, wouldn't ya SAY?!!!)

;)