Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas sends buses of migrants to Chicago for the first time

Texas sends buses of migrants to Chicago for the first time

Two buses carrying migrants from Texas arrived in Chicago on Wednesday night.

The buses arrived at Chicago's Union Station at around 7:30 p.m., carrying migrants who crossed the southern border illegally.

An estimated 80 to 100 people were on the buses, including 20 to 30 small children. Many of the migrants said they were from Venezuela.

Chicago is the latest city where migrants have been bused to from Texas, following New York City and Washington, D.C., all of which have Democrat mayors.

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said in a statement that he looks forward to seeing Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot welcome the migrants since Chicago is a sanctuary city.

Keep up the good work by sending them to democrat cities that want open borders.

These political stunts are costing the taxpayers of Texas many, many millions of dollars.  Of course, what is to keep the migrants from coming back to Texas once they get approved in NY?  The approval rate in NY is much, much higher than in TX.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ElCid said:

These political stunts are costing the taxpayers of Texas many, many millions of dollars.  Of course, what is to keep the migrants from coming back to Texas once they get approved in NY?  The approval rate in NY is much, much higher than in TX.

And wait until some smart attorney figures out that they can sue Texas for transporting folks across state lines against there possible wills.....

• Like 1

Lightfoot's office says:

"Unfortunately, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is without any shame or humanity. But ever since he put these racist practices of expulsion in place, we have been working with our community partners to ready the city to receive these individuals."

It's shameful and  inhumane to send people to Chicago. I get that. But racist?

2 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Lightfoot's office says:

"Unfortunately, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is without any shame or humanity. But ever since he put these racist practices of expulsion in place, we have been working with our community partners to ready the city to receive these individuals."

Racist in that they are applied only to Hispanics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

Hilarious.  How does sending migrants to Chicago help Gov. Abbott's case about an open boarder?  Because Chicago is run by Democrats?  This is idiotic. Not that I agree with the busing but it made more of a point to send migrants to DC.  Abbott has got a beef with Biden and how the federal government is handling the southern border. Lori Lightfoot has no control over that.  Is Abbott just going to ship people to predominantly Democratic cities all over the country?  This busing nonsense is just theater.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

Hilarious.  How does sending migrants to Chicago help Gov. Abbott's case about an open boarder?  Because Chicago is run by Democrats?  This is idiotic. Not that I agree with the busing but it made more of a point to send migrants to DC.  Abbott has got a beef with Biden and how the federal government is handling the southern border. Lori Lightfoot has no control over that.  Is Abbott just going to ship people to predominantly Democratic cities all over the country?  This busing nonsense is just theater.  

I have a beef with how the Biden admin is handling the southern border.    I don't support what Abbott is doing but I understand why he is doing it.

Border states are getting the short end because of the misguided immigration policies of the current admin; E.g.  keep remain in Mexico. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I have a beef with how the Biden admin is handling the southern border.    I don't support what Abbott is doing but I understand why he is doing it.

Border states are getting the short end because of the misguided immigration policies of the current admin; E.g.  keep remain in Mexico. 

I agree that border states are shouldering the burden of the current policies.   Abbott busing people to NYC and other Dem cities isn't going to solve anything.  It isn't stopping the flow of people across the Texas border. 

Almost $13 Million from Texas taxpayers so far, that we know about.

Documents from the emergency management department show that the state has already paid a total of $12,707,720.92 to Wynne Transportation to bus thousands of migrants from Texas border communities to Washington, D.C., and New York City, CNN first reported.  https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/31/texas-12-million-migrant-busing-program/

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

Abbott's point is making sanctuary cities, with their "we welcome all" message, live up to their promise. Lightfoot has control over that. Does she mean it or not? And if she - and other blue city Mayors who favor open borders - does mean it, then send some buses to the border. 

DC, NYC, Chicago. Next up should be Detroit. Portland. Seattle.

Hell, let's add Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga. 

10 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Abbott's point is making sanctuary cities, with their "we welcome all" message, live up to their promise. Lightfoot has control over that. Does she mean it or not? And if she - and other blue city Mayors who favor open borders - does mean it, then send some buses to the border. 

DC, NYC, Chicago. Next up should be Detroit. Portland. Seattle.

Hell, let's add Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga. 

You don't think that there are illegal/undocumented migrants in NYC, Chicago and Detroit now?  Surely Abbot knew that Texas bordered Mexico when he campaigned to be governor.  Dealing with problems from the border is part of being the governor of Texas.  Now, I do agree that this administration's policy has led to a huge increase in people coming over the border.  Absolutely.  But I don't think Abbott's stunt, which is what it is, helps the situation at all.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hellzapoppin said:

You don't think that there are illegal/undocumented migrants in NYC, Chicago and Detroit now?  Surely Abbot knew that Texas bordered Mexico when he campaigned to be governor.  It's part of being the governor of Texas.  Now, I do agree that this administration's policy has led to a huge increase in people coming over the border.  Absolutely.  But I don't think Abbott's stunt, which is what it is, helps the situation at all.  

Being Mexico's b**** is not the job of the Texas governor.

And don't call me Shirley.

28 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Almost $13 Million from Texas taxpayers so far, that we know about.

Documents from the emergency management department show that the state has already paid a total of $12,707,720.92 to Wynne Transportation to bus thousands of migrants from Texas border communities to Washington, D.C., and New York City, CNN first reported.  https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/31/texas-12-million-migrant-busing-program/

Yes, couldn't that money be spent elsewhere or at least more effectively? 

LuckyDan, I see that you are from Texas.  How do Texans feel about the way that money is being spent?  

Just now, Hellzapoppin said:

LuckyDan, I see that you are from Texas.  How do Texans feel about the way that money is being spent?  

I'm cool with it. 

1 minute ago, Hellzapoppin said:

Foolish question as LuckyDan does not speak for Texans - only himself.  In addition, he is a Republican although says he is anti-Trump.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

You don't think that there are illegal/undocumented migrants in NYC, Chicago and Detroit now?  Surely Abbot knew that Texas bordered Mexico when he campaigned to be governor.  Dealing with problems from the border is part of being the governor of Texas.  Now, I do agree that this administration's policy has led to a huge increase in people coming over the border.  Absolutely.  But I don't think Abbott's stunt, which is what it is, helps the situation at all.  

Sorry but you're confused;   A border state governor's powers are very limited with regards to dealing with immigration (legal or illegal).    Immigration falls under the Federal government.    Thus "dealing with problems from the border" is NOT part of being a governor of a border state.     It is the Federal governments job and the Feds have failed to do their job for over 2 decades.     

Again,  I agree that Abbott's stunt is not  "helpful" in a practical manner,  but if it gets leading officials from the Biden Admin to change policies (e.g.  bring back Remain in Mexico,  refusing entry to the vast majority of immigrants,  only one quick hearing before denial of entry,  no hearing or entry for those who were previous denied, etc..),  and committing more resources such as judges and border agents and\or allowing states to use National Guard troops than,  from a political viewpoint,  what Abbott is doing will be worth it.

Note that Harris said: don't come here.     Sadly the Biden admin walked this back.    Biden, Harris,  Pelosi,  and all other leading Dems should say this loud and clear; don't come here.     But they are too afraid of the far left progressive.     Hey,  Biden did have the guts to call out the silly and lame "defund" the police movement.    He needs to do the same as it relates to illegal immigration and immigration in general.   

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Sorry but you're confused;   A border state governor's powers are very limited with regards to dealing with immigration (legal or illegal).    Immigration falls under the Federal government.    Thus "dealing with problems from the border" is NOT part of being a governor of a border state.     It is the Federal governments job and the Feds have failed to do their job for over 2 decades.     

Again,  I agree that Abbott's stunt is not  "helpful" in a practical manner,  but if it gets leading officials from the Biden Admin to change policies (e.g.  bring back Remain in Mexico,  refusing entry to the vast majority of immigrants,  only one quick hearing before denial of entry,  no hearing or entry for those who were previous denied, etc..),  and committing more resources such as judges and border agents and\or allowing states to use National Guard troops than,  from a political viewpoint,  what Abbott is doing will be worth it.

No, I'm not confused. I just didn't write it clearly. I realize that the federal government controls the border and that immigration falls under their authority, of course. 

My point, though admittedly poorly expressed, was that illegal border crossings are not new to Texas.  Surely, (Shirley) Abbott was aware of those issues when he campaigned to be the governor of Texas. There must be a sizeable population of undocumented/illegal migrants in Texas.  This has been going on for decades.  I absolutely agree that the situation has escalated since Biden has become president.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Note that Harris said: don't come here.     Sadly the Biden admin walked this back.    Biden, Harris,  Pelosi,  and all other leading Dems should say this loud and clear; don't come here.     But they are too afraid of the far left progressive.     Hey,  Biden did have the guts to call out the silly and lame "defund" the police movement.    He needs to do the same as it relates to illegal immigration and immigration in general.   

But will it force the Biden administration to change policies?  I don't see that happening.  Now maybe the busing stunt will motivate Republican voters. I don't know.

4 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

But will it force the Biden administration to change policies?  I don't see that happening.  Now maybe the busing stunt will motivate Republican voters. I don't know.

More to the point it may turn a few democrats. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

I hope such stunts will get the Biden admin to see-the-light and change policies,  but of  course have no idea if they will or not.      Biden is a moderate which is why I pointed out his speech on the bogus "defund" the police BS from the far-left.      With the midterms coming up Biden and other leading moderate Dems may feel they need to change border policies to ensure they don't lose more than 10 -15 House seats (as well as gain 1 or 2 Senate seats in November).   

Note I was surprised Biden took on the "defund" movement so I'm hoping Biden will surprise me again (but, yea, this could all be wishful thinking).

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

Surely, (Shirley) Abbott was aware of those issues when he campaigned to be the governor of Texas. 

Surely you must have realized that harping about a problem and then offering no solution other than "blame a Democrat" is the standard operating procedure of the Republican party.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Abbott has built walls or parts of walls and he has sent the Texas National Guard and others to the border.  So, he is taking a very active role in the border crossing situation.  This latest move is nothing more than a political stunt to embarrass Democratic governors and mayors and Pres. Biden.

These people are far more likely to have their applications approved in the places where he has sent them.  Then they can return to Texas for the climate, contact with their relatives already there and the numerous jobs Texans are hiring them for.