Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joe Biden criticized over presence of Marines in speech

Joe Biden criticized over presence of Marines in speech

An Iraq War veteran and former Democratic Party official on Friday criticized the presence of US Marines in the backdrop of President Joe Biden’s speech in Philadelphia, during which he issued stinging political criticism of Republicans.

“We need to make sure that our military is as removed from politics as possible and it’s not right if a Democrat uses the military as a political pawn and it’s not right if the Republican Party does it as well. None of our politicians or elected leaders should do that,” Allison Jaslow, a former executive director of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, told CNN’s Brianna Keilar on “New Day.”

Biden on Thursday warned that former President Donald Trump and his Republican followers represent “an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our Republic” and that their attempts to undermine democracy could devolve into violence. Biden called on his audience to vote in November, backed by traditionally apolitical symbols like the United States Marine Band and two Marines positioned where they were seen on camera throughout the speech.

White House officials pushed back on criticism that the President’s speech was political, telling CNN’s Jeff Zeleny that “democracy is not a partisan or political issue.”

Joe Biden has politicized the FBI, CIA, IRS, our judges and now also the military. That is the real threat to democracy.

• Haha 1

9IZYOM7Z_x96.jpg

Are you kidding me Jeff? The last President did official Republican political events at the White House! And used the National Park Service as political event planners. How about political interview inside the Lincoln Memorial? Those are all examples of demolishing WH traditions.

As much as I hate to say it, and I really, really do, MM has a point here.  Of course he is merely reposting what someone else said.

Trump's contemptible politicizing of the military and illegally trying to use it for political purposes in no way excuses Biden's use of Marine Band and Marines in background of his speech.  If this was a simple address to the nation, he should not have mentioned politics.  Once he mentioned Trump or the Republicans, it became a political speech.

As a US Army retiree, I find it offensive and totally unnecessary.  As it is, Biden has provided his detractors with something that will cloud what he did say that was good.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, I see nothing wrong with the 2 marines in the back.  Don't we usually see the sentries around the White House for crying out loud! (see photos below the Biden in question. ) I personally wouldn't paid any attention.

61994209-11173509-image-a-1_166212858909

E2QiZyJXIAA_RRv?format=jpg&name=small

YLk9VuzVF-mj__4VIT2KLDgzz4t9XsDW9u0akha9

pah-39860029.jpg

TRUMP-SPAIN.jpg

Stop finding stuff to nitpick about, there are more serious things to be concerned about!

• Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

White House officials pushed back on criticism that the President’s speech was political, telling CNN’s Jeff Zeleny that “democracy is not a partisan or political issue.”

Really??

Democracy, as pertaining to the right and privilege of voting, and the laws that govern them has EVERYTHING to do with politics.  And only through political efforts can democracy be preserved.  And when a president declares war, in which our military will send it's soldiers to fight , isn't seen as the president "politicizing" the military?

Good Godfrey.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

27 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, I see nothing wrong with the 2 marines in the back.  Don't we usually see the sentries around the White House for crying out loud! (see photos below the Biden in question. ) I personally wouldn't paid any attention.

61994209-11173509-image-a-1_166212858909

E2QiZyJXIAA_RRv?format=jpg&name=small

YLk9VuzVF-mj__4VIT2KLDgzz4t9XsDW9u0akha9

pah-39860029.jpg

TRUMP-SPAIN.jpg

Stop finding stuff to nitpick about, there are more serious things to be concerned about!

The sentries are at the White House because they have always been there, more or less.  They are there sort of guards.  They are not at the location where Biden gave the speech, nor is the Marine Band except possibly for non-political events.  Biden made this a political event and I have no complaints with what he said.

However, whoever decided to have the Marine Band and two Marine "guards" there made a huge mistake by involving them in a political event.  The fact that Biden gave the speech from Philadelphia rather than his office made it a political event.

The problem is that it handed the Republicans an issue which they can use to distract from anything positive that Biden said.

Incidentally I voted for Biden and even contributed to his campaign and never done that before.  Did send money to Kerry, but that was to get a Veterans for Kerry bumper sticker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

The problem is that it handed the Republicans an issue which they can use to distract from anything positive that Biden said.

I don't pay much attention to somebody whose daughter wrote that her father took showers with her.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Marysara1 said:

I don't pay much attention to somebody whose daughter wrote that her father took showers with her.

What about Trump saying he would date Ivanka?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

I don't think very many people care about this, so I don't think it will be an issue, except for the people who weren't going to vote for him anyway. I know it seems to have upset you, but look at the people agreeing with you on this topic to see how marginal it is.

And virtually every president has had military present for political speeches. Just look it up online and you'll see many pictures.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't think very many people care about this, so I don't think it will be an issue, except for the people who weren't going to vote for him anyway. I know it seems to have upset you, but look at the people agreeing with you on this topic to see how marginal it is.

And virtually every president has had military present for political speeches. Just look it up online and you'll see many pictures.

To me the difference is between inviting the military or having them there because it is part of their jobs is different than having them at a political event.

I listened to the content of Biden's speech and his dire warning of the threat to democracy by Trump and the MAGA extremists. Truth is, I didn't even notice the marines standing in the background as he spoke. This is an "issue" trudged up by people looking for a distraction who aren't going to vote for Biden and the Democrats anyway.

I mean, come on, look at who is the OP of this thread.

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

d4fd27be95cc3f4cbe6da12a333e8a5f_x96.jpe

I see everyone at CNN got their talking point. This was NOT a political speech (unless you think condemning fascism and encouraging people to vote are political positions in which case--that's what we call a tell).

If you mention Donald Trump or the Republican Party, it IS a political speech.    

17 minutes ago, ElCid said:

If you mention Donald Trump or the Republican Party, it IS a political speech.   

He said MAGA Reped-lick-cans  whose leaders are predicting / calling for violence in the streets, it like as if he was talking about the Confederates. I look at MAGA as the enemy to the Republic. 

59 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

He said MAGA Reped-lick-cans  whose leaders are predicting / calling for violence in the streets, it like as if he was talking about the Confederates. I look at MAGA as the enemy to the Republic. 

So do I, but still a misuse of US military personnel.

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

biden is supposed to be a catholic yet when was the last time he proudly held up a bible in public?

lets see some pictures.

:D

You know a lot of people who walk around with the Bible in their hand, Nip?

Some people are quietly religious and don't feel the need to make a big show of it.

Some politicians, not known for attending religious services in their private lives, have used the Bible as a prop.

ap_20153836517351-caf2f6cde4034bc2a64ede

• Thanks 1

I always get a laugh  out of the 'soul' of  a nation. Nations don't have souls they have interests, as  someone once said, can't recall who.

Sure it was  partly a political speech,  that's what pols do. The goal is to paint MAGA Republicans as a bunch  of kooky conspiracy theorists

and crazies. You need  a speech  to figure that out? C'mon, man.

Speaking  of CNN, I watched  part of D.  Lemon's show last night. Apparently Donny has not received  the memo about moving  to the  center.

He sliced  and diced GOP guest and consultant Alice Stewart like an onion, pretty much making her look like an idiot. Great job, Donny

14 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

biden is supposed to be a catholic yet when was the last time he proudly held up a bible in public?

lets see some pictures.

When was the last time you saw the Pope hold up a Bible in public?  😊

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

lets see some pictures.

As someone said Donald Trump has spent more time inside Stormy Daniels than he has inside a church.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Apparently Donny has not received  the memo about moving  to the  center.

He sliced  and diced GOP guest and consultant Alice Stewart like an onion, pretty much making her look like an idiot. Great job, Donny

CNN is moving to the center.    I don't recall anyone (in the media or at this forum),  saying Lemon would be moving to the center.

Didn't we agree that Donny changing how he operates isn't likely?     (where we disagreed was that I believe Donny will be fired or moved to a non prime-time spot).

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

lets see some pictures.

Catholics don't carry bibles Nip. They are religious but not as fanatical as Southern Baps