Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Janis Paige’s 100th Birthday.

japanjack

2 minutes ago, japanjack said:

What is TCM doing for her 100th?

Nothing.    Now TCM did show a few of the films Paige was in when Jack Carson had his summer under the stars day in August.

Paige was a secondary star and even major stars don't get birthday tributes even 100 anniversary ones.   

I do wish TCM would show The Time,  the Place and The Girl,  but that is because the girl is  Martha Vickers.    (Paige was good in this film and a much better musical talent).

The Time, the Place and the Girl (1946) - IMDb

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

TCM programmers have actually scheduled a daytime tribute for Janis Paige on September 16, her 100th birthday. These films have been included:

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 6.00.00 PM

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 6.00.20 PM

"Stereophonic, as an extra tonic, stereophonic sound." Janis was great in "Silk Stockings" as the pseudo parody of Esther Williams. 

But her big Broadway success, "Pajama Game", was covered by Doris Day.

The pros that they were in those days, the two of them worked very well together in 1960 in Doris' "Please Don't Eat The Daisies".

And on top of all that, these girls apparently had a WB history going all the wayback to 1948 with "Romance on the High Seas." Two great musical comedy performers.

• Like 6

Unfortunately, the TCM Now Playing Guide for September has the daytime theme for the 16th incorrectly labeled as a 100th birthday tribute to Barbara Stanwyck (who was born on July 16, 1907).

cS9c8IQ.jpeg

I guess they are just trying to keep us on our toes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

"Stereophonic, as an extra tonic, stereophonic sound." Janis was great in "Silk Stockings" as the pseudo parody of Esther Williams. 

But her great Broadway success, "Pajama Game", was covered by Doris Day.

The pros that they were in those days, the two of them worked very well together in 1960 in Doris' "Please Don't Eat The Daisies".

And on top of all that, these girls apparently had a WB history going all the wayback to 1948 with "Romance on the High Seas." Two great musical comedy performers.

I've always been a fan of Ann Sothern. And about ten years ago I bought a bunch of episodes of The Ann Sothern Show which ran from 1958 to 1961. As I was going through the episodes, the third one from season 3 stood out. It features Janis Paige and Jeff Donnell as Ann's old sorority sisters. It's called 'The Girls.'

The plot is as follows: Ann has been busy with her job as a hotel manager. When she meets her old pals, she is envious of them. Donnell is married to a tycoon and has everything money can buy; while Paige is a glamorous movie star who has men falling at her feet.

The episode starts with them all meeting for lunch at the hotel one day, then time passes. We see Ann take a few days off work to visit the other two ladies in their respective locales...Donnell along the east coast, and Paige in Hollywood. By the end of the episode, Ann learns her pals don't really have perfect lives, and that her life seems much happier than theirs!

Paige made this appearance right after PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES, and before she did BACHELOR IN PARADISE. What I love about the episode is that the three of them have such different acting styles but they all work together so beautifully. 

It can be viewed here:

https://archive.org/details/the-ann-sothern-show/Ann+Sothern+Show++S03E03+++The+Girls%2C+Colorized.mp4

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Nothing.    Now TCM did show a few of the films Paige was in when Jack Carson had his summer under the stars day in August.

Paige was a secondary star and even major stars don't get birthday tributes even 100 anniversary ones.   

I do wish TCM would show The Time,  the Place and The Girl,  but that is because the girl is  Martha Vickers.    (Paige was good in this film and a much better musical talent).

The Time, the Place and the Girl (1946) - IMDb

It was shown on one of the final SUTS days for Jack Carson. I watched and had the feeling that Martha Vickers was dubbed, but you're right that Janis could belt one out. In Pajama Game she held her own with John Raitt, one of the great musical theater talents, and could carry a number solo.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DougieB said:

It was shown on one of the final SUTS days for Jack Carson.

Dang,  I did check the schedule for Jack Carson (since I suspect TCM might show this WB film)  but obviously not close enough.

Yea,  the movie isn't great and Martha Vickers doesn't do her own singing,    but she sure looked cute in this color film (which might be the only color film she ever did).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I've always been a fan of Ann Sothern. And about ten years ago I bought a bunch of episodes of The Ann Sothern Show which ran from 1958 to 1961. As I was going through the episodes, the third one from season 3 stood out. It features Janis Paige and Jeff Donnell as Ann's old sorority sisters. It's called 'The Girls.'

The plot is as follows: Ann has been busy with her job as a hotel manager. When she meets her old pals, she is envious of them. Donnell is married to a tycoon and has everything money can buy; while Paige is a glamorous movie star who has men falling at her feet.

The episode starts with them all meeting for lunch at the hotel one day, then time passes. We see Ann take a few days off work to visit the other two ladies in their respective locales...Donnell along the east coast, and Paige in Hollywood. By the end of the episode, Ann learns her pals don't really have perfect lives, and that her life seems much happier than theirs!

Paige made this appearance right after PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES, and before she did BACHELOR IN PARADISE. What I love about the episode is that the three of them have such different acting styles but they all work together so beautifully. 

It can be viewed here:

https://archive.org/details/the-ann-sothern-show/Ann+Sothern+Show++S03E03+++The+Girls%2C+Colorized.mp4

Thanks for the link to The Girls episode.    I'm a big fan of Jeff Donnell, and of course Paige and Sothern were very talented.

Elsewhere at this thread Paige and Doris Day are mentioned:   After watching SUTS Jack Carson day,   I have to wonder that if Day hadn't signed with Warner,  Janis Paige would have had many,  if not most,  of the roles Day was given in those Carson (or Carson \ Morgan),  films.     Paige was the musical star in The Time,  The Place and The Girl,  thus if the studio didn't have Day,  maybe Paige would have had many more films while under contract with WB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Dang,  I did check the schedule for Jack Carson (since I suspect TCM might show this WB film)  but obviously not close enough.

Yea,  the movie isn't great and Martha Vickers doesn't do her own singing,    but she sure looked cute in this color film (which might be the only color film she ever did).

The Time the Place and the Girl is listed on Watch TCM, perhaps you could watch it there.

There is a very good interview online that Janis Paige did in 2005.

EAA56327-25D3-4418-840F-66DDDC13A5DB_4_5005_c

"In her hour-and-a-half interview for the American Comedy Archives at Emerson College, Janis Paige talks about her early life and discovering she had the ability to make people laugh at a young age. She recalls her first feature film, “Hollywood Canteen,” and soon after moving to New York to pursue a career on stage. She describes a stint in vaudeville, which lead to being cast on Broadway in “Remains to be Seen,” and later as the lead in “The Pajama Game.” She recounts appearing in several feature films, including “Silk Stockings” with Fred Astaire, and “Please Don’t Eat the Daisies” with Doris Day. Paige speaks of her many roles on television, including playing the lead in the sitcom It’s Always Jan, guest shots on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Happy Days, and an infamous appearance on All in the Family in which she kissed “Archie Bunker,” much to his wife “Edith’s” dismay. She concludes by discussing her stints on the daytime dramas Capitol and Santa Barbara, and how she’d like to be remembered. Robert Fleming conducted the interview in Los Angeles, CA."

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/janis-paige-with-emerson-college

7F902DD6-7CD1-4C19-9D79-66BF46354C76_1_201_a

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 9:19 AM, DougieB said:

It was shown on one of the final SUTS days for Jack Carson. I watched and had the feeling that Martha Vickers was dubbed, but you're right that Janis could belt one out. In Pajama Game she held her own with John Raitt, one of the great musical theater talents, and could carry a number solo.

She also replaced Angela Lansbury as Mame on Broadway after Angela left the show.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

She also replaced Angela Lansbury as Mame on Broadway after Angela left the show.

I can see that. In some ways she'd probably be brassier than Angela herself, closer to the way Rosalind Russell played the character.

It's Been Mentioned here and there during the past week or so; but now it's Official. No offense nor disrespect to(ward) a SINGLE other Birthday out there (past, present, or future) but an EXTREMELY Happy, Special, Memorable, Healthy One Hundredth Birthday Wishes and Greetings to Actress and Singer Madam Janis Paige. Born September, 16; 1922(!). Tacoma, Washington. 💐🎈💐

Yes.  I do believe She's a BombShell alright.  Could just be the light from where I'm at but at times this Beautiful Lady resembles Jean Hagen imo.

• Thanks 1