Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Watching TCM via Hulu...


ROT
 Share

Recommended Posts

If I ditch cable/satellite and get TCM via Hulu, will I still be able to view WatchTCM online? I mostly view movies on WatchTCM,  but it seems that this requires a cable/satellite provider. Currently, I am paying DirecTV $90.70 a month so I can get TCM HD and WatchTCM--I no longer watch any other channels. Is there any way that I can subscribe to TCM and also get WatchTCM without a cable or satellite provider? I hate paying $90.70 a month for watching the content of a single channel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, ROT said:

If I ditch cable/satellite and get TCM via Hulu, will I still be able to view WatchTCM online?

ROT,

This topic (accessing WatchTCM after "cutting the cable") has been discussed before. As I understand it, you will not be able to view WatchTCM without a cable TV subscription.

Do I need a Cable TV or Satellite TV subscription to use Watch TCM?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2022 at 12:33 AM, ROT said:

If I ditch cable/satellite and get TCM via Hulu, will I still be able to view WatchTCM online? I mostly view movies on WatchTCM,  but it seems that this requires a cable/satellite provider. Currently, I am paying DirecTV $90.70 a month so I can get TCM HD and WatchTCM--I no longer watch any other channels. Is there any way that I can subscribe to TCM and also get WatchTCM without a cable or satellite provider? I hate paying $90.70 a month for watching the content of a single channel. 

 

22 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

 

ROT,

This topic (accessing WatchTCM after "cutting the cable") has been discussed before. As I understand it, you will not be able to view WatchTCM without a cable TV subscription.

Do I need a Cable TV or Satellite TV subscription to use Watch TCM?

I don't have Hulu, but I do have YouTube TV.  You can use Watch TCM as a YouTubeTV subscriber.   This was not always the case, but it changed a while ago.

Hulu is listed as one of the providers on Watch TCM, so it should work for you. 

IMPORTANT: You need to make sure you're getting the cable/satellite replacement version of Hulu (Hulu + Live TV) and not just the streaming version of Hulu.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

 

I don't have Hulu, but I do have YouTube TV.  You can use Watch TCM as a YouTubeTV subscriber.   This was not always the case, but it changed a while ago.

Hulu is listed as one of the providers on Watch TCM, so it should work for you. 

IMPORTANT: You need to make sure you're getting the cable/satellite replacement version of Hulu (Hulu + Live TV) and not just the streaming version of Hulu.

 

TXFILMFAN speaks the truth.  I have YouTube TV, and I can access Watch TCM.   If I go extended periods of time without using it, I have to log into tcm.com/activate on my computer before I can catch a show I want to see.  It's a bit of an inconvenience, but it's better than not being able to watch a film I may have missed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I watch an online movie on TCM or other cable channels, I am prompted to log into watchtvanywhere.com first.  If I remember correctly, when I set up an account years ago, I had to have my account # with my cable provider. I've never had to re-enter this info.  Is your account with watchtvanywhere voided if you drop cable?  Do cable companies report such info to the website?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LoyFan said:

When I watch an online movie on TCM or other cable channels, I am prompted to log into watchtvanywhere.com first.  If I remember correctly, when I set up an account years ago, I had to have my account # with my cable provider. I've never had to re-enter this info.  Is your account with watchtvanywhere voided if you drop cable?  Do cable companies report such info to the website?

The use of that service is dependent upon your TV provider.  Not all TV providers (cable companies) use it.  My old cable company didn't, for example.  They used their own infrastructure for watching TV online.

YouTube TV doesn't need it either, as they use their own infrastructure, since it was built to watch on the web from the onset of the service (unlike legacy cable & satellite companies, which had to add Internet capabilities to their existing service).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I don't have Hulu, but I do have YouTube TV.  You can use Watch TCM as a YouTubeTV subscriber.   This was not always the case, but it changed a while ago.

Hulu is listed as one of the providers on Watch TCM, so it should work for you. 

IMPORTANT: You need to make sure you're getting the cable/satellite replacement version of Hulu (Hulu + Live TV) and not just the streaming version of Hulu.

Monthly Subscription Rates

YouTube TV: $64.99 (Limited Time Offer: $54.99)

Hulu + Live TV:  $69.99

Both YouTube TV and Hulu + Live TV beat the $90.70 that you're currently paying per month, ROT.

For me, both the YouTube TV and Hulu + Live TV monthly rates are waaaaay too expensive. I'm content watching TCM on Sling via my Roku streaming device. Not being able to watch TCM live is not a hardship or deprivation for me.

How to Watch TCM Turner Classic Movies Without Cable

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your comments! The Disney+ Bundle with Hulu Live TV is $69 a month ($79 add free). Either way, it beats DirecTV. You can stream on 2 devices or pay an extra fee for "unlimited" devices. With any basic streaming service, Watch TCM (at this time) is unavailable. The Disney Bundle with Hulu Live TV seems to be the best way to have TCM HD & access to Watch TCM. Disney alone includes most of Disney's new and classic catalog, Marvel,  all Star Wars movies and series, Pixar, National Geographic, and all 33 seasons of The Simpsons! The only thing I know about Hulu is that it includes the Martin/Short/Gomez mystery/comedy series Only Murders in the Building, which has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 99%. And I guess ESPN is good to watch Nick Saban's former coaches try to beat him...Good riddance, DirecTV! Hello Hulu!  

P.S. The reason this topic has been "DISCUSSED BEFORE" is because if you search "Watch TCM" you get links to pages on how to watch TCM; not how to view Watch TCM. Also, the answer is now up to date with the Disney+ Bundle offer. Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! (Ya stooge.)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2022 at 10:04 PM, ROT said:

The Disney Bundle with Hulu Live TV seems to be the best way to have TCM HD & access to Watch TCM. Disney alone includes most of Disney's new and classic catalog, Marvel,  all Star Wars movies and series, Pixar, National Geographic, and all 33 seasons of The Simpsons! The only thing I know about Hulu is that it includes the Martin/Short/Gomez mystery/comedy series Only Murders in the Building, which has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 99%. And I guess ESPN is good to watch Nick Saban's former coaches try to beat him . . .

I've got Hulu, but not Hulu + Live TV.

Frankly, I'd ditch it because not much of Hulu's content interests me. But because it is bundled with Disney+ -- which I'd also ditch -- and there is someone else in my household who is a Disney fan, I'm shelling out for entertainment that I don't watch (I'm not a sports fan; never watch ESPN+. Although I grew up reading Marvel Comics, I am so over the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I also don't give a rodent's derriere about Pixar and Star Wars flicks and National Geographic programs).

I hate "bundling." I prefer the à la carte model of selecting entertainment that I want and am willing to pay for to watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I've got Hulu, but not Hulu + Live TV.

Frankly, I'd ditch it because not much of Hulu's content interests me. But because it is bundled with Disney+ -- which I'd also ditch -- and there is someone else in my household who is a Disney fan, I'm shelling out for entertainment that I don't watch (I'm not a sports fan; never watch ESPN+. Although I grew up reading Marvel Comics, I am so over the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I also don't give a rodent's derriere about Pixar and Star Wars flicks and National Geographic programs).

I hate "bundling." I prefer the à la carte model of selecting entertainment that I want and am willing to pay for to watch.

I feel very much the same. I did the free trial of Disney+ (probably not available now) just to see The Beatles GET BACK. Then I kept it to watch all 33 Seasons of "The Simpsons."...I called the Retention Dept. of AT&T/DirecTV (it's one big monster): 1-855-235-3982 (or, when asked why you are calling, just say "Retention") and told them that I was considering the Disney+ Bundle. They offered to drop the landline phone rate from 35.99 to 22.99; internet would stay at 46.00, and DirecTV Satellite/Cable would drop from 71.99 to 64.13. This made the phone, internet, and cable price go from 167.73 to 133.12. That seemed reasonable enough. I could add the Disney+ Bundle (basic) for 13.99--and still be paying significantly less than before. Also, if you already subscribe to Disney+, they say that they will adjust the price accordingly. I'm not under contract with AT&T/DirecTV and I can cancel the Disney+ Bundle at any time. This is very easy to do by just signing into your Disney+ account (or whichever account you used to sign up for the bundle).  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...