Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, here it is, another Labor Day weekend, and no movie tribute.


slaytonf
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is the only major national holiday  with no special programming.  Even Fathers Day, that pathetic tie-giving, me-too observance gets a line-up.  Many people here rag on TCM for its lefty, pinky, limp-wristed left-ism.  Hell, even the hosts push that view.  But I don't buy it.  I don't pay attention to what people say, I look at what they do.  And what TCM does is celebrate war, consumerism, and Christianity.  And what does that profile characterize?  You got it, rock-bound conservatism.  So with the perfect opportunity to pull out all the stops, and go for the socialist/unionist/communal agenda, TCM totally drops the ball.  Ben Mankiewicz harps on the Hollywood Ten, and LGBTQ themes are promoted regularly, but it's just a front to draw new viewers in. 

It's time TCM lived up to it's professed ideals and celebrate the American Worker.  Their injuries, their struggles, their triumphs.

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just thought of another possibility: THE HUMAN COMEDY-Mickey and Frank Morgan.  It's more a WWII propaganda film, but didn't the telegraph manager take his rich girl friend to see people of all nationalities picnicing?  Hard for me to think of anything else to schedule-but I like the idea--Maybe Norma Rae or is that  getting political

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kim s said:

I just thought of another possibility: THE HUMAN COMEDY-Mickey and Frank Morgan.  It's more a WWII propaganda film, but didn't the telegraph manager take his rich girl friend to see people of all nationalities picnicing?  Hard for me to think of anything else to schedule-but I like the idea--Maybe Norma Rae or is that  getting political

I don't see Norma Rae as being political and it would be an excellent choice for Labor Day as it is primarily about workers in a factory.

3 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Labor Day is a political day, so let's get political!

Just curious as to why you think Labor Day is a political day?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Just curious as to why you think Labor Day is a political day?

It was born of the labor movement in the late Nineteenth Century to help promote unions and the codification of worker rights.  Of course there was a lot in the labor movement, but the political goals for legislation aiding workers were critical.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

It was born of the labor movement in the late Nineteenth Century to help promote unions and the codification of worker rights.  Of course there was a lot in the labor movement, but the political goals for legislation aiding workers were critical.

Sorry, but I don't think that makes it a "political" day.  No more than Christians working for Christmas or Italians for Columbus Day or veterans for Veterans Day, etc. to be holidays.

And yes I know the labor movement became involved in politics to get more rights, but it is not a political holiday.

Is Martin Luther King Day a political holiday?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

It was born of the labor movement in the late Nineteenth Century to help promote unions and the codification of worker rights.  Of course there was a lot in the labor movement, but the political goals for legislation aiding workers were critical.

TCM could have shown On the Waterfront,  Norma Rae and other similar films this Monday.

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This could be one way to program Labor Day......

Labor Day: Workers, Unions, and Strikes

06:15am     I’m All Right Jack (1959). Ian Carmichael, Terry-Thomas, Peter Sellers; dir John Boulting. Boulting Brothers; Charter Film Productions. 105 mins.

08:00am     Haymarket: The Bomb, the Anarchists, the Labor Struggle (2021). Dir Adrian Prawica. Filmadria, 85 mins. 

09:30am     On the Waterfront (1954). Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb; dir Elia Kazan. Columbia Pictures; Horizon Pictures, 108 mins. 

11:30am     Norma Rae (1979). Sally Field, Beau Bridges, Ron Leibman; dir Martin Ritt. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. 123 mins. 

01:45pm     Matewan (1987). 135 mins. Chris Cooper, Mary McDonnell, Will Oldham; dir John Sayles. Cinecom Entertainment Group; Film Gallery; Goldcrest Films International; Red Dog Films; Winwood Productions, 135 mins. 

04:00pm     The Molly Maguires (1970). Richard Harris, Sean Connery, Samantha Eggar; dir Martin Ritt. Tamm Productions, 124 mins. 

06:15pm     Salt of the Earth (1954). Will Geer, David Wolfe, David Sarvis; dir Herbert Biberman. Independent Productions; The International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers. 94 mins. 

08:00pm     Wisconsin Rising (2015). Dir Sam Mayfield. Lower Third Productions, 57mins.

09:00pm     Cart [Ka-teu] (2014). Jung-ah Yum, Moon Jeong-Hee, Yeong-ae Kim; dir Ji-young Boo. Myung Films, 110 min.

11:00pm     Silkwood (1983). Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell, Cher; dir Mike Nichols. ABC Motion Pictures, 131 min.

01:15am     Newsies (1992). Christian Bale, David Moscow, Luke Edwards; dir Kenny Ortega. Touchwood Pacific Partners 1, Walt Disney Pictures. 121 mins.

 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BunnyWhit said:

This could be one way to program Labor Day......

Labor Day: Workers, Unions, and Strikes

06:15am     I’m All Right Jack (1959). Ian Carmichael, Terry-Thomas, Peter Sellers; dir John Boulting. Boulting Brothers; Charter Film Productions. 105 mins.

08:00am     Haymarket: The Bomb, the Anarchists, the Labor Struggle (2021). Dir Adrian Prawica. Filmadria, 85 mins. 

09:30am     On the Waterfront (1954). Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb; dir Elia Kazan. Columbia Pictures; Horizon Pictures, 108 mins. 

11:30am     Norma Rae (1979). Sally Field, Beau Bridges, Ron Leibman; dir Martin Ritt. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. 123 mins. 

01:45pm     Matewan (1987). 135 mins. Chris Cooper, Mary McDonnell, Will Oldham; dir John Sayles. Cinecom Entertainment Group; Film Gallery; Goldcrest Films International; Red Dog Films; Winwood Productions, 135 mins. 

04:00pm     The Molly Maguires (1970). Richard Harris, Sean Connery, Samantha Eggar; dir Martin Ritt. Tamm Productions, 124 mins. 

06:15pm     Salt of the Earth (1954). Will Geer, David Wolfe, David Sarvis; dir Herbert Biberman. Independent Productions; The International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers. 94 mins. 

08:00pm     Wisconsin Rising (2015). Dir Sam Mayfield. Lower Third Productions, 57mins.

09:00pm     Cart [Ka-teu] (2014). Jung-ah Yum, Moon Jeong-Hee, Yeong-ae Kim; dir Ji-young Boo. Myung Films, 110 min.

11:00pm     Silkwood (1983). Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell, Cher; dir Mike Nichols. ABC Motion Pictures, 131 min.

01:15am     Newsies (1992). Christian Bale, David Moscow, Luke Edwards; dir Kenny Ortega. Touchwood Pacific Partners 1, Walt Disney Pictures. 121 mins.

 

 

❤️❤️❤️❤️YOU RULE!!!!!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, BunnyWhit said:

This could be one way to program Labor Day......

Labor Day: Workers, Unions, and Strikes

06:15am     I’m All Right Jack (1959). Ian Carmichael, Terry-Thomas, Peter Sellers; dir John Boulting. Boulting Brothers; Charter Film Productions. 105 mins.

08:00am     Haymarket: The Bomb, the Anarchists, the Labor Struggle (2021). Dir Adrian Prawica. Filmadria, 85 mins. 

09:30am     On the Waterfront (1954). Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb; dir Elia Kazan. Columbia Pictures; Horizon Pictures, 108 mins. 

11:30am     Norma Rae (1979). Sally Field, Beau Bridges, Ron Leibman; dir Martin Ritt. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. 123 mins. 

01:45pm     Matewan (1987). 135 mins. Chris Cooper, Mary McDonnell, Will Oldham; dir John Sayles. Cinecom Entertainment Group; Film Gallery; Goldcrest Films International; Red Dog Films; Winwood Productions, 135 mins. 

04:00pm     The Molly Maguires (1970). Richard Harris, Sean Connery, Samantha Eggar; dir Martin Ritt. Tamm Productions, 124 mins. 

06:15pm     Salt of the Earth (1954). Will Geer, David Wolfe, David Sarvis; dir Herbert Biberman. Independent Productions; The International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers. 94 mins. 

08:00pm     Wisconsin Rising (2015). Dir Sam Mayfield. Lower Third Productions, 57mins.

09:00pm     Cart [Ka-teu] (2014). Jung-ah Yum, Moon Jeong-Hee, Yeong-ae Kim; dir Ji-young Boo. Myung Films, 110 min.

11:00pm     Silkwood (1983). Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell, Cher; dir Mike Nichols. ABC Motion Pictures, 131 min.

01:15am     Newsies (1992). Christian Bale, David Moscow, Luke Edwards; dir Kenny Ortega. Touchwood Pacific Partners 1, Walt Disney Pictures. 121 mins.

 

 

Can add these too:

  • Modern Times
  • The Pajama Game (7 and a half cents!)
  • How Green Was My Valley
  • Roger & Me
  • The Whistle at Eaton Falls
  • Office Space
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not exactly what we might think of as a Labor Day-type film, but something like "9 to 5" or "Desk Set"?  Workers frustrated by their boss; people under threat of losing their jobs due to technological advances.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, slaytonf said:

It was born of the labor movement in the late Nineteenth Century to help promote unions and the codification of worker rights.  Of course there was a lot in the labor movement, but the political goals for legislation aiding workers were critical.

Most Americans work when they become adults. It doesn't matter what class you're in or whether you're white collar, blue collar or wear no collar at all--

All Americans who have jobs benefit from laws that have been put in place to protect workers.

And unless you were born rich and never had to work for a living, that would include you.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Ealing comedies would all do very well on this day because they’re mostly about working class Brits and Scots teaming together and going up against the British. Lavender Hill Mob is the best example.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m glad that the hilarious I’m All Right, Jack has been mentioned.  My wife and I often watch it around Labor Day.

Another very good movie that has labor/management issues at its heart is The Devil and Miss Jones, with Jean Arthur, Charles Coburn, Robert Cummings, and Spring Byington.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

The Ealing comedies would all do very well on this day because they’re mostly about working class Brits and Scots teaming together and going up against the British. Lavender Hill Mob is the best example.

I would have suggested The Man in the White Suit.  I was going to suggest I'm Alright Jack too, but somebody already made that suggestion.

Night Unto Night would be another interesting choice for Labor Day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...