Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is the word "CRAZY" politically incorrect?

When I was growing up in the 1960's and 70's if someone was actually what we referred to as "crazy" it was OK to say so.  Someone muttering to themselves in public for example. "How sad. I wonder what drove him crazy?" People seemed to understand what crazy meant and it was applied rather liberally to ideas as well as people. "A phone that takes pictures? That's sounds crazy to me!"

You didn't have to like a person or not to say they were crazy.  You could love a person and still think they were crazy, or "Off". "Don't listen to Uncle Billy. He's been a little off since the war."

Lately, it seems to me,  you can say just about anything, no matter how far out and no one will dare call you crazy. In fact you might even be able to start a club.

If only Paddy Chayefsky were alive today!

43 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

When I was growing up in the 1960's and 70's if someone was actually what we referred to as "crazy" it was OK to say so.  Someone muttering to themselves in public for example. "How sad. I wonder what drove him crazy?" People seemed to understand what crazy meant and it was applied rather liberally to ideas as well as people. "A phone that takes pictures? That's sounds crazy to me!"

You didn't have to like a person or not to say they were crazy.  You could love a person and still think they were crazy, or "Off". "Don't listen to Uncle Billy. He's been a little off since the war."

Lately, it seems to me,  you can say just about anything, no matter how far out and no one will dare call you crazy. In fact you might even be able to start a club.

If only Paddy Chayefsky were alive today!

That's crazy.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Lately, it seems to me,  you can say just about anything, no matter how far out and no one will dare call you crazy.

That has not been my experience. 

I know what you mean though and I think if you are saying something crazy as part of a recognized and protected group, or as a person who has written a book, or teaches at a university, you are more likely to be given the benefit of any doubt. 

• Like 1

I don't think it is politically incorrect as much as it has just slid into disuse.  Now, many will use other terms or even sentences to comment on something that in the past would have just been called crazy.

15 hours ago, Sukhov said:

I wonder what prompted this thread. I have never seen or heard in real life at least, anyone having a problem with the word crazy. 

Typically when I hear the use of "crazy" it is used  as a lame excuse to ignore actual political actions and comments by pols;    I.e.   "oh,  their just a little crazy".

This came up with my self-claimed "I don't like Trump" guitar playing buddy yesterday.      We discussed the FBI investigations and he felt they were misguided at best (i.e. not necessary,   etc....),  because well,  Trump is Trump and a little crazy,  but that isn't illegal.  

In this way "crazy" is used to shield pols.   Now he didn't use the term "witch hunt",   but one can see how  that applies here.     Those witches are really not witches they are a just a little "crazy"!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Typically when I hear the use of "crazy" it is used  as a lame excuse to ignore actual political actions and comments by pols;    I.e.   "oh,  their just a little crazy".

This came up with my self-claimed "I don't like Trump" guitar playing buddy yesterday.      We discussed the FBI investigations and he felt they were misguided at best (i.e. not necessary,   etc....),  because well,  Trump is Trump and a little crazy,  but that isn't illegal.  

In this way "crazy" is used to shield pols.   Now he didn't use the term "witch hunt",   but one can see how  that applies here.     Those witches are really not witches they are a just a little "crazy"!

We’re getting a bit off topic but the guy who writes the DSMVs said Trump doesn’t have any medical disorders such as Narcissism but rather he is just a $hithead. His words were something like “Trump is a first rate Narcissist but he does not have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.” This just means Trump is fully aware of everything he does so he can not be excused for it.

1 minute ago, Sukhov said:

We’re getting a bit off topic but the guy who writes the DSMVs said Trump doesn’t have any medical disorders such as Narcissism but rather he is just a $hithead. His words were something like “Trump is a first rate Narcissist but he does not have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.” This just means Trump is fully aware of everything he does so he can not be excused for it.

Interesting.    Hey,  with regards to the thread with the topic of Cruz and especially Lindsey Graham;   it looks like most of your post were removed by the moderator,  as well as most of my replies to you,  related to the topic of Graham's paying for sex.       Just curious if any mod told  you why they were removed. 

Even my posting of the Neal Young song Southern Man was removed.    It is there now only because I reposted it.     

5 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Interesting.    Hey,  with regards to the thread with the topic of Cruz and especially Lindsey Graham;   it looks like most of your post were removed by the moderator,  as well as most of my replies to you,  related to the topic of Graham's paying for sex.       Just curious if any mod told  you why they were removed. 

Even my posting of the Neal Young song Southern Man was removed.    It is there now only because I reposted it.     

No, I do not know why. I do not talk to moderators in private.

16 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

After thinking about it, the moderators probably took Cid’s “homophobia” accusations and deleted everything because of that. Yes, we were not being homophobic at all but just accusing someone of that is a scummy way to quell dissent/ criticism of the individual. I only make this post to see if the moderators will delete this too because then it would confirm my suspicions that they are being the Homophobia Gestapo.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

After thinking about it, the moderators probably took Cid’s “homophobia” accusations and deleted everything because of that. Yes, we were not being homophobic at all but just accusing someone of that is a scummy way to quell dissent/ criticism of the individual. I only make this post to see if the moderators will delete this too because then it would confirm my suspicions that they are being the Homophobia Gestapo.

Don't understand your post.

However, I am still waiting on someone to provide evidence that Lindsey Graham is a homosexual.  Unless he is (and that shouldn't matter to "liberals" anyway), it appears that the thread title is an attempt to smear him and inappropriately using homosexuality to do it.

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

However, I am still waiting on someone to provide evidence that Lindsey Graham is a homosexual.  Unless he is (and that shouldn't matter to "liberals" anyway), it appears that the thread title is an attempt to smear him and inappropriately using homosexuality to do it.

On the contrary, it is YOU who is attempting to smear everyone opposed to far right crazies like Lindsay Graham as "homophobic." Lindsay Graham was being criticized for hiring prostitutes NOT for being gay. My comment was probably deleted before you could read it but in general the fact you saw that as homophobia is a really sad on your part attempt to shield Graham from any criticism. If you have to break out smear words and slander to defend a radical right winger then that says more about you.

6 hours ago, Sukhov said:

On the contrary, it is YOU who is attempting to smear everyone opposed to far right crazies like Lindsay Graham as "homophobic." Lindsay Graham was being criticized for hiring prostitutes NOT for being gay. My comment was probably deleted before you could read it but in general the fact you saw that as homophobia is a really sad on your part attempt to shield Graham from any criticism. If you have to break out smear words and slander to defend a radical right winger then that says more about you.

I wonder if part of it is misguided. I realize there are gays. I work in a grocery store so in June they keep playing Judy Garland's Somewhere over the Rainbow. The far in each direction is making the centrals chose. I'm with Edith Bunker in one of the eps. a relative died and when she went to the funeral found out her female relative had a friend, she let the friend have the inheritance instead of her. Archie didn't like it.As long as they respect, I'm not gay I'll respect them.

16 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Of all the politicians who have been proven to hire prostitutes', you have singled out Graham for allegedly hiring homosexual prostitutes'.  

9 hours ago, Marysara1 said:

I realize there are gays. I work in a grocery store so in June they keep playing Judy Garland's Somewhere over the Rainbow. 

This is one of the most incredible things ever posted on this message board. Simply breathtaking. 

22 hours ago, ElCid said:

I didn't read anything in the thread's title or the OP to indicate it was an attempt to smear Lindsey Graham as a homosexual.  But just asking if using the word "crazy" has now become politically incorrect.  Just as using the word "r e t a r d e d" has fallen into disfavor to indicate anyone who is mentally behind where they should ordinarily be at a certain age, or otherwise mentally underdeveloped.  (I had to come back and space the letters as "Otto" disfavored it's use too).

I never heard or read anything to this effect however.   But it seems reasonable( which seems an odd word to refer to the very unreasonable PC crowd) to me that the PC police would rather prefer we say "sanity challenged" instead of "crazy".   :rolleyes:  But what was funny( to me at least) was when watching an old PASSWORD rerun, in the lightning round, actress CLAIR BLOOM  was trying to give clues to the word "mad"  and her being British used words like "crazy"  "insane"  "eccentric"   and her game partner couldn't come up with anything.  Apparently she overlooked that the partner, a born and raised American might have guessed the word if she gave the clue "angry" , which we Americans usually think of as synonymous with "mad".  while the British more often think of "mad" as synonymous with "crazy".  ;)   

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I didn't read anything in the thread's title or the OP to indicate it was an attempt to smear Lindsey Graham as a homosexual. 

It apparently refers back the "Lady G" thread.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

For some reason, that thread title didn't seem to me to be about anything I'd find interesting so I never went into it.  I'll have to go back and play "catch-up".  ;) 

Sepiatone

It was intended to be a catch-all thread for any stories involving either Lindsey Graham or Ted Cruz. They were both in the news quite frequently at the time, and had both been nicknamed with the title  names (Lyin' Cancun Cruz and Lady G) in multiple articles and news stories around that time. 

Regardless of the stories veracity, Lindsay Graham is a slimy person person for what he has done in Washington and if true the story only lends further credence to the scum he is, having to pay and coerce people to even sleep with him.