Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Harder They Fall (1956)

UMO1982

IMHO  along with his outstanding performances in "Sierra Madre"  and THE CAINE MUTINY I'd say it ranks up there too.   Some might say his performance in THE HARDER THEY FALL  was "minimalist", but If so it's a great case for the concept of "less is more".

Sepiatone

• Like 1

So many great and iconic performances.  from CASABLANCA and THE MALTESE FALCON to THE AFRICAN QUEEN AND THE PETRIFIED FOREST. THE CAINE MUTINY, THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA, ACROSS THE PACIFIC, THE BIG SLEEP, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, KEY LARGO, DEAD RECKONING, HIGH SIERRA, THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT, DEAD END, THE ROARING TWENTIES, THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, IN A LONELY PLACE....... just remarkable.

• Like 2

The Harder They Fall was recently released in a new blu-ray and it looks fantastic.  It is in the Columbia Noir #5 boxset from Powerhouse/Indicator, that features 5 Bogart films: Dead Reckoning, The Harder They Fall, Knock on Any Door, Tokyo Joe, Sirocco.  

It's region B so you'll need a region free blu-ray player if you're in the United States, but I was very impressed with the picture quality.  

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

nobody could light up a cigarette and flag down a taxi like him.

:)

bogart-classic-the-harder-they-fall.png

This is the kind of comment that denotes an association of smoking with "coolness." That, of course, is how many regarded smoking once upon a time. I hope some of us have evolved in that attitude. Bogie, among millions of others, certainly paid a price for it.

• Thanks 1

The Harder they Fall is part of Criterion Channel's collection of boxing in the movies. 

I am making it a priority to re-watch it before it expires on September 30th. Thanks everyone for reminding me what a terrific movie this is. 😀

On 9/5/2022 at 3:26 PM, CineClassics said:

It's region B so you'll need a region free blu-ray player if you're in the United States, but I was very impressed with the picture quality. 

A friend of mine told me that all regions of Blu-ray Discs can be played on a computer. To wit, I don't need a region-free player to enjoy discs coded for Europe or other markets outside the U.S.A.

True? Can anyone confirm my friend's claim?

16 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

A friend of mine told me that all regions of Blu-ray Discs can be played on a computer. To wit, I don't need a region-free player to enjoy discs coded for Europe or other markets outside the U.S.A.

True? Can anyone confirm my friend's claim?

This is somewhat true. You can change regions in your software settings. A warning though: you are limited to how many times you can do this to a few times. When you hit the limit you are stuck.

This is to prevent you changing regions at will. 

I hate region coding and think it's anti-consumer.

• Thanks 1

Some Blu-rays can be played in multiple regions, they just have to be tested to see if they are not region locked. If you go to Blu-ray.com and look up a movie's specific release, the users may have updated the entry with that information. 

4K UHD discs are region free as outlined in the the standard. They finally made it consumer friendly when physical media is not as popular. 🙄