Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 best comedy movies of all time - Ben's and yours

Toto

Recently, I watched the films "Best in Show" and "This is Spinal Tap" on TCM.  In his introduction, Ben Mankiewicz said he had a list of his top ten best comedies of all time and these films were on his list.  "Best in Show" and "This is Spinal Tap" are certainly on my list too.  These are really funny films.  I looked online for his list and just found this image of his note pad on Twitter which is hard to read (see below).

Here's a list of my favorite funniest films.   I used one simple criteria for my list - the film really made me laugh.  Some of these are not necessarily examples of great film making.  They're just really funny to me.  What are your ten favorite funniest films?  My list is not in any special order.

1,  Best in Show

2.  This is Spinal Tap

3.  Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House

4.  Annie Hall

5.  The Nutty Professor (the 1963 version with Jerry Lewis)

6.  Austin Powers:  International Man of Mystery 

7.  The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer

8.  The Producers (1967 version)

9.  Some Like it Hot

10.  Pillow Talk

Ben's list from Twitter which I have trouble reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bachelor and bobby soxer

i'm pretty sure everyone will cover the field with a wide range of candidates, but i wanted to add "the bachelor and the bobby soxer" because it has the best, if not only, quintuple cross-fire dialogue i've ever seen. it's the scene at the restaurant that involved, grant/loy/temple/valee/temple's boyfriend/a couple at the table next to them/and i think i'm missing someone. all arguing about something different

you all know the scene

my faves, "a thousand clowns", "my man godfrey" 1936, "mad mad mad,,,,", "the castle"1997, "road to bali", "midnight run", "raising arizona", "to be or not to be", "tampopo", "soup for one". "lost in america"

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, miltk said:

but i wanted to add "the bachelor and the bobby soxer" because it has the best, if not only, quintuple cross-fire dialogue i've ever seen. it's the scene at the restaurant that involved, grant/loy/temple/valee/temple's boyfriend/a couple at the table next to them/and i think i'm missing someone. all arguing about something different

The best part is when the waiter approaches Cary Grant after all his table mates angrily depart after blaming him for everything they are unhappy about. The waiter says "Will there be anything else, Sir?" and Grant, with his perfect comedic timing, answers "For instance?" 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Because I have absolutely no sense of humor, I always avoid watching comedies like the pledge.

(...ahem...I meant the plague)

Come on everyone knows your favorite thing to eat is also your favorite comedy film:  Duck Soup.

Amazon.com: Duck Soup : Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx, Chico Marx, Zeppo Marx,  The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont, Raquel Torres, Louis Calhern, Edmund  Breese, Leonid Kinskey, Charles Middleton, Edgar Kennedy, Henry Sharp, Leo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Come on everyone knows your favorite thing to eat is also your favorite comedy film:  Duck Soup.

Amazon.com: Duck Soup : Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx, Chico Marx, Zeppo Marx,  The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont, Raquel Torres, Louis Calhern, Edmund  Breese, Leonid Kinskey, Charles Middleton, Edgar Kennedy, Henry Sharp, Leo

Well (quack), I guess when (quack quack) push comes to shove (quack quack quack) I'd have to admit (quack quack quack quack...what, too many quacks for ya here now?!) I do kind'a like THIS one here, I suppose.

(...although truth be known, I've always liked that one about the Opera the Bros did JUST a little bit better)

3 hours ago, Toto said:

Ben's list from Twitter which I have trouble reading.

I can just make out the circled (and likely short-listed) titles being The Odd Couple, Slapshot and...a fourth in the lower right corner which is completely illegible, and might be Captain Ron, but I doubt it.  🧐

He also, however, circled Borat, which immediately Millennial-invalidates the list, the same as his giving preferential stars to AnchormanTalladega Nights, Best in Show, The Naked Gun, and Office Space.  Somebody was born in the 90's.  

Okay, alright...here's what might be my comedy favs here:

The Apartment

Dr. Strangelove

A Night at the Opera

Singin' in the Rain (ya know, this one has a whole lot more in it than just singin' and dancin' in it, don't ya...uh-huh, like a whole lot of comedy in it TOO)

Some Like It Hot

Duck Soup (quack...again)

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

My Favorite Wife

Ball of Fire

National Lampoon's Animal House

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Toto said:

Here's my attempt to decipher the Ben's scribblings.

Edit: Never mind I got them all. :)

1st Column

Woody Allen
Annie Hall
Sleeper
Bananas
Take the Money & Run

Marx Brothers
Monkey Business
A Day at the Races
Duck Soup

Borat
The Jerk
Dead Man Don't Wear Plaid
Midnight Run

2nd Column

Meet the Parents
Pulp Fiction
The Naked Gun
Airplane
Kentucky Fried Movie
Anchorman: The Legend of Run Burgundy
Step Brothers
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Beverly Hills Cop
Trading Places
Coming to America
48 Hours
Dr. Strangelove
Groundhog Day
This is Spinal Tap
Best in Show
Caddyshack
Stripes
When Harry Met Sally
Raising Arizona
The Hangover
Office Space
The Big Lebowski
The Heartbreak Kid
Diner
Arthur
Being There
The Graduate
Tootsie
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

3rd Column

Animal House
The Odd Couple
M*A*S*H
Mean Girls
Dodgeball
Local Hero
Superbad
Old School
Slapshot
Bridesmaids
The Blues Brothers
Elf

4th Column

The In-Laws
The Producers
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein

Preston Sturges
The Lady Eve
Sullivan's Travels
The Palm Beach Story

The Awful Truth
Some Like It Hot
The Apartment
His Girl Friday
Bringing Up Baby
City Lights
Modern Times/The Great Dictator
The Gold Rush
It Happened One Night
The General
A Fish Called Wanda
Life of Brian
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Dinner at Eight
The Thin Man
The Ladykillers
Adam's Rib
The Philadelphia Story

• Thanks 4

I don't think anybody's mentioned The Long Long Trailer yet.  And for British comedy, there's the Terry-Thomas double feature of Too Many Crooks and Make Mine Mink.

• Like 2

Not a personal top ten but some underrated comedy movies I enjoy:

*Hyppolit the Butler (1931) - basically Hungarian My Man Godfrey but five years earlier

*Look Who’s Back (2015) - satire of alt-right extremists and the sensationalist media that created them told from the story of a reporter unwittingly help Hitler rise to power again in the current year.

*The Trilogy of Life (1970s) - anti-clerical stories adapted from the pages of Boccaccio, Chaucer and Abu Nuwas by Pier Paulo Pasolini. Comedic look at the hypocrisy of religious institutions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

To any professional graphologists out there, what can be deduced about Ben Mankiewicz based on his handwriting?

877.jpg

Yes, and besides all THIS, many graphologists would ALSO tell you that people who write in the same manner as Ben up there, are also often noted as being just a little more likely to talk through their noses as well.

(...this phenomenon coming to be known by graphologists and audiologists alike as "The Nasally Letter-A")

1, The Odd Couple

2. Libeled Lady

3. His Girl Friday

4. It's a Gift

5. Born Yesterday

6. It Happened One Night

7. Sons of the Desert 

8. Dinner at Eight

9. Arsenic and Old Lace

10. Just about any Marx Brothers movie

• Like 4

3 hours ago, umop apisdn said:

Here's my attempt to decipher the Ben's scribblings.

Edit: Never mind I got them all. :)

1st Column

Woody Allen
Annie Hall
Sleeper
Bananas
Take the Money & Run

Marx Brothers
Monkey Business
A Day at the Races
Duck Soup

Borat
The Jerk
Dead Man Don't Wear Plaid
Midnight Run

2nd Column

Meet the Parents
Pulp Fiction
The Naked Gun
Airplane
Kentucky Fried Movie
Anchorman: The Legend of Run Burgundy
Step Brothers
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Beverly Hills Cop
Trading Places
Coming to America
48 Hours
Dr. Strangelove
Groundhog Day
This is Spinal Tap
Best in Show
Caddyshack
Stripes
When Harry Met Sally
Raising Arizona
The Hangover
Office Space
The Big Lebowski
The Heartbreak Kid
Diner
Arthur
Being There
The Graduate
Tootsie
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

3rd Column

Animal House
The Odd Couple
M*A*S*H
Mean Girls
Dodgeball
Local Hero
Superbad
Old School
Slapshot
Bridesmaids
The Blues Brothers
Elf

4th Column

The In-Laws
The Producers
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein

Preston Sturges
The Lady Eve
Sullivan's Travels
The Palm Beach Story

The Awful Truth
Some Like It Hot
The Apartment
His Girl Friday
Bringing Up Baby
City Lights
Modern Times/The Great Dictator
The Gold Rush
It Happened One Night
The General
A Fish Called Wanda
Life of Brian
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Dinner at Eight
The Thin Man
The Ladykillers
Adam's Rib
The Philadelphia Story

This is amazing!  You deciphered the list!  Thanks.  I love comedies and this will be great to refer to.

8 hours ago, miltk said:

bachelor and bobby soxer

i'm pretty sure everyone will cover the field with a wide range of candidates, but i wanted to add "the bachelor and the bobby soxer" because it has the best, if not only, quintuple cross-fire dialogue i've ever seen. it's the scene at the restaurant that involved, grant/loy/temple/valee/temple's boyfriend/a couple at the table next to them/and i think i'm missing someone. all arguing about something different

you all know the scene

my faves, "a thousand clowns", "my man godfrey" 1936, "mad mad mad,,,,", "the castle"1997, "road to bali", "midnight run", "raising arizona", "to be or not to be", "tampopo", "soup for one". "lost in america"

Yes - I love the quintuple cross-figure dialogue at the restaurant in "The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer".  Also, I love the part where the Cary Grant character decides to use some reverse psychology with the Shirley Temple character and starts acting like a teenager to hopefully discourage her.  Here's the scene where Cary Grant does "You remind me of a man . . ."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good Stuff Toto.! Per Usual. Here's my List/Preferences (along with several Honorable mentions). No particular order

The General.

Sherlock Jr.

Speedy.

2 Guns.

Kill Me Three Times.

The Gentlemen. (and Woman. *my edit.)

RocknRolla.

Micmacs.

Excuse My Dust.

War On Everyone.

- Honorable Mention.

The Great Race.

Get the Gringo.

Bringing Up Baby.

Ball of Fire.

Shoot 'Em Up.

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Duck Soup.

Hail the Conquering Hero.

Life of Crime.

The Honeymoon Machine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toto said:

Yes - I love the quintuple cross-figure dialogue at the restaurant in "The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer".  Also, I love the part where the Cary Grant character decides to use some reverse psychology with the Shirley Temple character and starts acting like a teenager to hopefully discourage her.  Here's the scene where Cary Grant does "You remind me of a man . . ."

and davenport was a great foil for grant...LOL

• Like 1

Alphabetically:

Auntie Mame

Duck Soup

His Girl Friday

Modern Times

Pillow Talk

Singin' in the Rain

The Thin Man

Tootsie

What's Up, Doc?

Assorted runners-up: Libeled Lady, The General,  Theodora Goes Wild, Love and Death, Top Hat,  Arsenic and Old Lace, One Two Three, Foul Play, Bringing Up Baby, The Lady Eve, Ball of Fire, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Postcards from the Edge, Soapdish

there should probably be a Neal Simon or Blake Edwards film nearby too.

Comedy feels like a lost art in movies anymore.... Legally Blonde from 2001 is possibly the last really good major studio comedy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, skimpole said:

My choices:

Help!

Brazil

North by Northwest

A Night at the Opera

A Fish Called Wanda

The Rules of the Game

Splash

Top Hat

His Girl Friday

Singin' in the Rain

This is a really good list!  I love Jean Hagen playing Lina Lamont (with a horrible voice) in Singin' in the Rain.  I always laugh seeing her.  "North by Northwest" is really a suspense movie but has some of my favorite funny moments in a movie.  I love the scenes where the Cary Grant character (Roger Thornhill) is completely drunk at the police station and calls his mother and the auction scene where Thornhill makes ridiculous bids.

image.jpeg.79b7d42feffaff9296f2d23ccf98b65d.jpeg     image.jpeg.f72a901603d1542eeffd8f36ecfd5701.jpeg

• Like 1

One on the OP list that for me never worked and I thought wasn't that funny at all is AUSTN POWERS  INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY  with the mystery being  what made Myers think saying "shagged" or "shag" as if he was paid by the mention was comedy?

And SKIMPOLE, really???

You see NORTH BY NORTHWEST as a COMEDY???  :rolleyes:

I'll have to(due to my time constraints) come back another time with my list.

Sepiatone