Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

REPUBLIC PICTURES made great films that are mainly forgotten today

FLEXARET

REPUBLIC  PICTURES is a lost studio that closed in 1959. They are mainly known for Westerns and Serials, of which they made some of the best.  However they had great directors there from John Ford on and great films like THE QUIET MAN, DRIFTWOOD and many others that were neither Westerns nor Serials.

PARAMOUNT  PICTURES now owns the Republic film library and they have spent a small fortune restoring those films in HD.  Why doesn't TCM look into the greater Republic library from Paramount  and start running many of their great and forgotten films including-

THE BOLD CABALLERO - the first Color/Zorro film,  OUTSIDE OF PARADISE, the first film to star Penny Singleton,  DRIFTWOOD with young Natalie Wood, and of course  Anything with John Wayne, including THREE FACES WEST,  DARK COMMAND,  WAKE OF THE RED WITCH, SANDS OF IWO JIMA, WINDS OF THE WASTELAND,  PALS OF THE SADDLE,  NEW FRONTIER - the first film with Jennifer Jones,  plus many films about  "Early Radio Broadcasting" including  THE HIT PARADE  (I'LL REACH FOR A STAR),  MANHATTAN MERRY-GO-ROUND,  HIT PARADE OF 1943 (CHANGE OF HEART),   LARCENY ON THE AIR and more ... plus    PISTOL PACKIN' MAMA,   GOODNIGHT SWEATHEART ,  TELL IT TO A STAR,    RIDERS OF THE WHISTLING SKULL  and so many more!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FLEXARET said:

PARAMOUNT  PICTURES now owns the Republic film library and they have spent a small fortune restoring those films in HD.  Why doesn't TCM look into the greater Republic library from Paramount  and start running many of their great and forgotten films including-

The useful information you have provided here likely answers your question;,    It cost money to restore these films.     Paramount Pictures needs to recoup those cost,  as well as make a profit.      They do that by selling DVDs and charging a per-film cost to consumers to stream the film.        Leasing the  films to TCM undercuts that marketing.

Also,  the cost that Paramount would charge TCM to lease these films is likely not something that fits TCM budget.   (and way higher than films they can lease from their parent, Time Warner).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TCM is always looking for new product to freshen up their look, in addition to the familiar Warners/MGM/RKO library. I have just indicated that the Republic library is mostly all new and fresh for them. They already license films from Paramount so it is high time they look into the Republic library from Paramount and I guess they would get a reasonable price as nobody else is licensing most of these films.

A few additional suggestions - MAN OF CONQUEST starring Richard Dix, Gail Patrick (much later the producer of TV's PERRY MASON) and Joan Fontaine - by far Republic's best all-time film-  the story of Sam Houston and The Alamo - which most likely influenced John Wayne to produce his version of THE ALAMO.  Then HEARTS IN BONDAGE starring Mae Clarke and directed by Lew Ayres - the historical story of the Monitor and the Merrimac.  And, a truly lost film, not seen since its release in 1936 and based on a best selling novel - THE HARVESTER.

Another film owned by Paramount/Republic is truly lost and a great story of early Radio Broadcasting, THE OLD HOMESTEAD (1935 - Liberty Pictures)  starring Mary Carlisle and the first film to feature THE SONS OF THE PIONEERS including Len Slye (Roy Rogers). Paramount has the only known extant/usable film element on this in the world.

And regarding Roy Rogers, BELLS  OF ROSARITA ( Uncut version) which stars Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, George "Gabby" Hayes and features these "guest" cowboy stars and lots of behind-the-scenes studio footage -  Bob Livingston, Don"Red" Barry,  Allan Lane, "Wild Bill" Elliott and Sunset Carson.

5 minutes ago, FLEXARET said:

TCM is always looking for new product to freshen up their look, in addition to the familiar Warners/MGM/RKO library. I have just indicated that the Republic library is mostly all new and fresh for them. They already license films from Paramount so it is high time they look into the Republic library from Paramount and I guess they would get a reasonable price as nobody else is licensing most of these films.

I don't get the idea that TCM is looking for new products.     Anyhow,  I believe you misunderstood my post.     I would welcome TCM showing films from studios like Republic.  Love it.   (instead of most of their films from the original Turner library of Warner Bros,  MGM and RKO films).

I just don't think it is likely for the reasons I gave.    You appear to imply that the leasing cost would be a "reasonable price";    doesn't that contradict your overall points?

I.e.   if the cost is reasonable,   and TCM is "always looking for new products",   than why is TCM not leasing these Republic films?   

The only other assumption is that the TCM programmers are dunces and don't know about the gold to be found in these restored Republic films.

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I don't get the idea that TCM is looking for new products.     Anyhow,  I believe you misunderstood my post.     I would welcome TCM showing films from studios like Republic.  Love it.   (instead of most of their films from the original Turner library of Warner Bros,  MGM and RKO films).

I just don't think it is likely for the reasons I gave.    You appear to imply that the leasing cost would be a "reasonable price";    doesn't that contradict your overall points?

I.e.   if the cost is reasonable,   and TCM is "always looking for new products",   than why is TCM not leasing these Republic films?   

The only other assumption is that the TCM programmers are dunces and don't know about the gold to be found in these restored Republic films.

Republic pictures did turn up frequently on the competing Western channel in the 500s that I saw occasionally back when I had that channel. It is likely other channels already have most of them and simply do not care to air them or air only a small fraction of relatively popular titles (as popular as a 30s Republic picture can be I suppose).

15 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Republic pictures did turn up frequently on the competing Western channel in the 500s that I saw occasionally back when I had that channel. It is likely other channels already have most of them and simply do not care to air them or air only a small fraction of relatively popular titles (as popular as a 30s Republic picture can be I suppose).

I'm not sure I'm following how your post related to TCM.        I believe other channels,  (networks)  especially those that focus on Westerns may have leased a large portion of restored Republic films.     They many have some type of exclusive arrangement;   E.g.  A network agrees to least 50 films for a 3 year time period,  and Paramount agrees to not lease them to other networks. 

That could be one of the reasons why TCM isn't showing Republic westerns.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

We're missing all those Vera Hruba Ralston pictures!!!

Are you making a wise crack?     Either way,   when one's husband is head of the studio,   he should put his wife in film.  

I do wish TCM would  show Murder in the Music Hall (1946),  since it also features Helen Walker,  and Hoodlum Empire (1952),  since it also features Claire Trevor 

I bought a Republic Pictures Home Video western recently:  BUGLES IN THE AFTERNOON (1952).

I really don't know if it's ever aired on TCM, but the tape wasn't expensive and I thought it would make a nice "RAY MILLAND WESTERN DOUBLE-BILL" with "Copper Canyon" (1950) on Paramount. 

13 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I bought a Republic Pictures Home Video western recently:  BUGLES IN THE AFTERNOON (1952).

I really don't know if it's ever aired on TCM, but the tape wasn't expensive and I thought it would make a nice "RAY MILLAND WESTERN DOUBLE-BILL" with "Copper Canyon" (1950) on Paramount. 

BUGLES IN THE AFTERNOON is a Warner Brothers film that was produced by James Cagney and his brother. The rights were sold to Republic, but are now controlled by Paramount. Anyway, it's not a Republic Pictures production.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, Ray Faiola said:

MERCY ISLAND!!

An interesting little film. Nominated for best score of a dramatic picture. I enjoyed the film, although the print that YouTube has available is pretty rough. Lots of splices, but it made the viewing a bit nostalgic, taking me back to the days when that's pretty much what was available on the late, late show. 

Thanks for the heads up, Ray. Good movie!

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

BUGLES IN THE AFTERNOON is a Warner Brothers film that was produced by James Cagney and his brother. The rights were sold to Republic, but are now controlled by Paramount. Anyway, it's not a Republic Pictures production.

The William Cagney library, as well as the Milton Sperling United States Pictures library, were sold to Richard Feiner & Co. They syndicated the films under the Jayark emblem (often removing the Warner logos). A few years before he passed away Feiner sold the films (but not the ancillary rights) to Republic. One Sperling title, MY GIRL TISA, is now currently only available in the British release. The 35mm studio print was kept at Feiner's farm in Catskill, NY. There was a flood and the film (along with a lot of other treasures) was rendered useless by being covered in mold. Fortunately I got an uncut 16 of the film from Feiner before the flood!

• Like 3