Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Biden and his stinking democrats are failing the american people


NipkowDisc
 Share

Recommended Posts

okay, they wanna phase out the combustion engine automobile...well let them do so...by giving everyone in America a free electric car. just charge it all to the UN, george soros and paul and nancy pelosi. in the meantime just a few questions. are we to build charging stations on every highway and byway in the united states? what about gas stations? what happens to them? are they to be abandoned or perhapa they can be converted into quaint little roadside eateries or even shelter the homeless maybe? who pays for all this charging? municipalities or we suckers? it won't raise our electric bills I hope. 

:D

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

okay, they wanna phase out the combustion engine automobile...well let them do so...by giving everyone in America a free electric car. just charge it all to the UN, george soros and paul and nancy pelosi. in the meantime just a few questions. are we to build charging stations on every highway and byway in the united states? what about gas stations? what happens to them? are they to be abandoned or perhapa they can be converted into quaint little roadside eateries or even shelter the homeless maybe? who pays for all this charging? municipalities or we suckers? it won't raise our electric bills I hope. 

:D

History, and in particular, technology, is replete with examples of disruption.   Cars replaced reliance on animal transport, sidelining many blacksmiths, livery stables, and the like.   Aviation supplanted train travel, at least in the U.S., for long distance travel.  Television disrupted the radio and film industries, and is now seeing disruption from the rise of streaming.  Computerization disrupted lots of industries:  those hundreds of people employed by Consolidated Life in The Apartment would have been largely replaced by a computer, shortly after the time of that film.   The telecommunications revolution is littered with relics from the past: telegrams, land lines, phone booths, and so on.

The biggest stumbling block is that people who live in remote areas will still need transportation that has a long range between refueling/recharging, and for electric vehicles, the charging would need to be done quickly-  as quickly as today's fill-ups or nearly so.  Overnight charging won't cut it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

okay, they wanna phase out the combustion engine automobile...well let them do so...by giving everyone in America a free electric car. just charge it all to the UN, george soros and paul and nancy pelosi. in the meantime just a few questions. are we to build charging stations on every highway and byway in the united states? what about gas stations? what happens to them? are they to be abandoned or perhapa they can be converted into quaint little roadside eateries or even shelter the homeless maybe? who pays for all this charging? municipalities or we suckers? it won't raise our electric bills I hope. 

:D

Every major automobile manufacturer in every country in the WORLD is planning to produce mostly, if not only, electric vehicles.  it's the future - get used to it.

There are no gas stations left in America.  They are only convenience stores which have gas pumps to lure you into the store to purchase something.  Some are "already roadside eateries."  You need to get out more.

At one time there were no gas stations.  Just grocery stores that had some gas and would fill your car while it was parked at the curb.

When you consider the number of gasoline vehicles on the road today (and this would include hybrid), there is zero chance that the internal combustion automobile will not be the dominant form of transportation in your lifetime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Every major automobile manufacturer in every country in the WORLD is planning to produce mostly, if not only, electric vehicles.  it's the future - get used to it.

There are no gas stations left in America.  They are only convenience stores which have gas pumps to lure you into the store to purchase something.  Some are "already roadside eateries."  You need to get out more.

At one time there were no gas stations.  Just grocery stores that had some gas and would fill your car while it was parked at the curb.

When you consider the number of gasoline vehicles on the road today (and this would include hybrid), there is zero chance that the internal combustion automobile will not be the dominant form of transportation in your lifetime. 

I believe he lives in New Jersey, which is a state that still has only full serve stations.  It's a throwback to a past long erased elsewhere in the country.   There might still be "gas stations" without the mini-market/convenience store/fast food place attached there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

I believe he lives in New Jersey, which is a state that still has only full serve stations.  It's a throwback to a past long erased elsewhere in the country.   There might still be "gas stations" without the mini-market/convenience store/fast food place attached there.

He also does not drive, have a car, or buy gas.

But why let that stand in the way of complaining?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ingles  gas  stations  are  not really connected to  the grocery store. And  now they have free air. I might take a trip up to Jersey later in t he

year. They've been talking about getting rid of full  service gas  stations for years and nothing happens, just like they've been talking  for years

about  getting  rid of  toll booths  on  the GSP and nothing happens. I can  smell Dems every day when I go  to get  the mail. Sort of like a combo

of  arugula and  a wine spritzer; better than napalm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Where was the government when all the buggy whip manufacturers started to go under?  Where?

I remember many years ago when I was working for a state agency in the early '80's and one worker there kept protesting the changes in what we did for people.  Management kept saying he was thinking of the old times and buggy whip days.  He eventually retired and we had a dinner for him.  When it was his turn to speak, he reached under his chair and brought out - a buggy whip.  Started off by saying: Yes you can still buy a buggy whip.  This was before the internet, so he got it locally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did this for a Westerns forum but you can see how new inventions and technology has changed the past 

Chronology of modern archetypes appearing in Westerns.

1812 tinplate canned goods began to be manufactured, in the West in the 1800's were referred to as "airtights".

1829 Tremont Hotel in Boston was the first hotel to have indoor plumbing and became the prototype of a modern, first - class American hotel.

1830's Gaslights, towns with central manufactured gas plants begin to appear and spread to the West. Open flame type (mantles didn't appear until the turn of the century) I've seen pictures of the Leavenworth Kansas in 1867 with a large Gas tank along the Missouri waterfront.

1830s, at least one private house, a James River mansion, had a wood-fired hot air heating system. Heat wafted up to the first floor via handsome brass registers. Ladies of New York City's High Society wasted no time in flocking to the parlor after dinner to stand over its registers for warmth.

1836 in the United States, Alonzo D. Phillips of Springfield, Massachusetts, obtained a patent for "manufacturing of friction matches" and called them locofocos. The danger problem was not resolved until the invention of amorphous (red) phosphorus in 1845. Carl Lundstrom of Sweden introduced the first red phosphorus "safety" matches in 1855. Joshua Pusey invented book matches in 1889.  He was a well-known lawyer in Pennsylvania before the turn of the century. He smoked cigars.


1847 Cigarettes - The first patented cigarette-making machine was invented by Juan Nepomuceno Adorno of Mexico However, production climbed markedly when another cigarette-making machine was developed in the 1880s by James Albert Bonsack.

1856 Kerosene Lamps early ones were dead flame type in 1868 the development of hot blast & cold blast improved the brightness of the flame.

1851 Telegraph long distance lines began appearing after 1851.

1854 The farm wind pump was invented by Daniel Halladay in 1854.[26][27] In early California and some other states the windmill was part of a self-contained domestic water system including a hand-dug well and a redwood water tower supporting a redwood tank and enclosed by redwood siding (tankhouse). Eventually steel blades and steel towers replaced wooden construction, and at their peak in 1930, an estimated 600,000 units were in use.[28] The multi-bladed wind turbineatop a lattice tower made of wood or steel hence became, for many years, a fixture of the landscape throughout rural America. Firms such as Star, Eclipse,Fairbanks-Morse and Aermotor became famed suppliers in North and South America.

1860's The first ceiling fans appeared in the 1860s and 1870s, in the United States. At that time, they were not powered by any form of electric motor. Instead, a stream of running water was used, in conjunction with a turbine, to drive a system of belts which would turn the blades of two-blade fan units. These systems could accommodate several fan units, and so became popular in stores, restaurants, and offices. Some of these systems still survive today, and can be seen in parts of the southern United States where they originally proved useful.

1861-Grain Elevators almost every fly spec in Eastern Montana has one so I thought I'd check them out here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour%27s_Warehouse) is one from 1861 that looks like some of the relics I saw on my trip through Montana which probably post date to the building of the Great Nothern RR 1889-1893

1865 Kerosene & Alcohol Powered fans (Lake Breeze Motor Company 1865-1915)

1871 Steamcars

1880 Electric power lighting systems began to replace gaslights.

1880 The practice of illustrating news stories with photographs was made possible by printing and photography innovations that occurred between 1880 and 1897. While newsworthy events were photographed as early as the 1850s, printing presses could only publish from engravings  until the 1880s. Early news photographs required that photos be re-interpreted by an engraver before they could be published.

1882 The electrically-powered ceiling fan was invented in 1882 by Philip Diehl (pronounced the same as "deal"). Diehl had engineered the electric motor used in the first Singer sewing machines, and in 1882 adapted that motor for use in a ceiling-mounted fan. "The Diehl Electric Fan", as it was known, operated like a common modern-day ceiling fan; each fan had its own self-contained motor unit, eliminating the need for costly and bulky belt systems.

1885 Telephone long distance networks began to spread out from the East and major cities in the US.

1892 Phonographs tin foil cylinder type,  Graphophones wax cylinder type sold for $150, by 1899 for $20 with a small version called the "gem" for $7.50.

1895 The Gramophone record type player, by 1901 mass produced.

1900 internal combustion Gas autos

1915, the familiar U.S. curbside mailbox with its curved, tunnel-shape top (to prevent water and snow collection), latching door, and movable signal flag was designed by U.S. Post Office employee Roy J. Joroleman. With the introduction of rural free delivery (RFD) by the U.S. Post Office in 1896, and in Canada in 1908, ranchers, farmers and rural homeowners at first resisted the purchase of dedicated mailboxes, often using old boots, empty bushel baskets, tins, and wooden boxes in which to collect their mail.
 

 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cid is confused - It illustrates that innovation and adaptation for a lot of the above (like electric cars today) usually get a foothold in major population centers and spread out from there, i.e., most of rural flyover country will not see electric cars for a good while and they will probably get footholds along the interstates and major arteries first.

The Butterfield Overland Stage Company had stage stations built every fifteen miles along their routes.  Just like today to get the ball rolling the electric car industry will have to build support stations along the major arterials. 

Even the railroads needed water towers at a minimum of every fifty miles to replenish steam locomotives, until the invention of the track pans where locomotive tenders could scoop up water on the fly.  

As for electric cars there was talk at one time of using a universal type battery  that fit sort of under the trunk (where a typical gas tank is now)) and having places along say interstates where you pull in and just swap out a battery just like getting gas  at a filling station.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Cid is confused - It illustrates that innovation and adaptation for a lot of the above (like electric cars today) usually get a foothold in major population centers and spread out from there, i.e., most of rural flyover country will not see electric cars for a good while and they will probably get footholds along the interstates and major arteries first.

Exactly. My smallish town already has at least three separate charging stations for EV's, and I've seen several Teslas driven by locals, including one guy in my neighborhood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Cid is confused - It illustrates that innovation and adaptation for a lot of the above (like electric cars today) usually get a foothold in major population centers and spread out from there, i.e., most of rural flyover country will not see electric cars for a good while and they will probably get footholds along the interstates and major arteries first.

The Butterfield Overland Stage Company had stage stations built every fifteen miles along their routes.  Just like today to get the ball rolling the electric car industry will have to build support stations along the major arterials. 

Even the railroads needed water towers at a minimum of every fifty miles to replenish steam locomotives, until the invention of the track pans where locomotive tenders could scoop up water on the fly.  

As for electric cars there was talk at one time of using a universal type battery  that fit sort of under the trunk (where a typical gas tank is now)) and having places along say interstates where you pull in and just swap out a battery just like getting gas  at a filling station.

 

 

OK, what am I confused about. 

BTW the water pans for locomotives were not all that common.  Also, a locomotive could go up to 150 miles before needing water.  This also was often where train crews were changed.  Major problem with steam locomotives was that they required extensive maintenance, even during a normal run to make sure they could finish the run.  But this has nothing to do with electric vehicles and charging stations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GM has announced a goal of an electric Equinox for next year in the $30,000 price range.  Equinox is one of the better rated small SUV's.  I had even considered purchasing one before prices went up due to supply chain issues.  There are a lot of them on the road, so it is already a very popular vehicle.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-electric-vehicles-climate-and-environment-92ab74779ba5589708e8211cc0df4663

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

OK, what am I confused about. 

BTW the water pans for locomotives were not all that common.  Also, a locomotive could go up to 150 miles before needing water. 

  Talking about the small American 4-4-0 early pre 1900 models. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

  Talking about the small American 4-4-0 early pre 1900 models. 

My local history class in 4th grade led me to believe locomotives of the 1880s had to stop every 15 miles for water.  This was the reasoning for the establishment of our town, where the Santa Fe laid out stops every 15 miles or so, and these quickly became towns and cities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

OK, what am I confused about. 

He said you were confused because you clicked the emoji that indicates that you were confused. Then you once again indicated you were confused on the post where Cigarjoe acknowledged that you'd said you were confused.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I did this for a Westerns forum but you can see how new inventions and technology has changed the past 

Chronology of modern archetypes appearing in Westerns.

1812 tinplate canned goods began to be manufactured, in the West in the 1800's were referred to as "airtights".

1829 Tremont Hotel in Boston was the first hotel to have indoor plumbing and became the prototype of a modern, first - class American hotel.

1830's Gaslights, towns with central manufactured gas plants begin to appear and spread to the West. Open flame type (mantles didn't appear until the turn of the century) I've seen pictures of the Leavenworth Kansas in 1867 with a large Gas tank along the Missouri waterfront.

1830s, at least one private house, a James River mansion, had a wood-fired hot air heating system. Heat wafted up to the first floor via handsome brass registers. Ladies of New York City's High Society wasted no time in flocking to the parlor after dinner to stand over its registers for warmth.

1836 in the United States, Alonzo D. Phillips of Springfield, Massachusetts, obtained a patent for "manufacturing of friction matches" and called them locofocos. The danger problem was not resolved until the invention of amorphous (red) phosphorus in 1845. Carl Lundstrom of Sweden introduced the first red phosphorus "safety" matches in 1855. Joshua Pusey invented book matches in 1889.  He was a well-known lawyer in Pennsylvania before the turn of the century. He smoked cigars.


1847 Cigarettes - The first patented cigarette-making machine was invented by Juan Nepomuceno Adorno of Mexico However, production climbed markedly when another cigarette-making machine was developed in the 1880s by James Albert Bonsack.

1856 Kerosene Lamps early ones were dead flame type in 1868 the development of hot blast & cold blast improved the brightness of the flame.

1851 Telegraph long distance lines began appearing after 1851.

1854 The farm wind pump was invented by Daniel Halladay in 1854.[26][27] In early California and some other states the windmill was part of a self-contained domestic water system including a hand-dug well and a redwood water tower supporting a redwood tank and enclosed by redwood siding (tankhouse). Eventually steel blades and steel towers replaced wooden construction, and at their peak in 1930, an estimated 600,000 units were in use.[28] The multi-bladed wind turbineatop a lattice tower made of wood or steel hence became, for many years, a fixture of the landscape throughout rural America. Firms such as Star, Eclipse,Fairbanks-Morse and Aermotor became famed suppliers in North and South America.

1860's The first ceiling fans appeared in the 1860s and 1870s, in the United States. At that time, they were not powered by any form of electric motor. Instead, a stream of running water was used, in conjunction with a turbine, to drive a system of belts which would turn the blades of two-blade fan units. These systems could accommodate several fan units, and so became popular in stores, restaurants, and offices. Some of these systems still survive today, and can be seen in parts of the southern United States where they originally proved useful.

1861-Grain Elevators almost every fly spec in Eastern Montana has one so I thought I'd check them out here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour%27s_Warehouse) is one from 1861 that looks like some of the relics I saw on my trip through Montana which probably post date to the building of the Great Nothern RR 1889-1893

1865 Kerosene & Alcohol Powered fans (Lake Breeze Motor Company 1865-1915)

1871 Steamcars

1880 Electric power lighting systems began to replace gaslights.

1880 The practice of illustrating news stories with photographs was made possible by printing and photography innovations that occurred between 1880 and 1897. While newsworthy events were photographed as early as the 1850s, printing presses could only publish from engravings  until the 1880s. Early news photographs required that photos be re-interpreted by an engraver before they could be published.

1882 The electrically-powered ceiling fan was invented in 1882 by Philip Diehl (pronounced the same as "deal"). Diehl had engineered the electric motor used in the first Singer sewing machines, and in 1882 adapted that motor for use in a ceiling-mounted fan. "The Diehl Electric Fan", as it was known, operated like a common modern-day ceiling fan; each fan had its own self-contained motor unit, eliminating the need for costly and bulky belt systems.

1885 Telephone long distance networks began to spread out from the East and major cities in the US.

1892 Phonographs tin foil cylinder type,  Graphophones wax cylinder type sold for $150, by 1899 for $20 with a small version called the "gem" for $7.50.

1895 The Gramophone record type player, by 1901 mass produced.

1900 internal combustion Gas autos

1915, the familiar U.S. curbside mailbox with its curved, tunnel-shape top (to prevent water and snow collection), latching door, and movable signal flag was designed by U.S. Post Office employee Roy J. Joroleman. With the introduction of rural free delivery (RFD) by the U.S. Post Office in 1896, and in Canada in 1908, ranchers, farmers and rural homeowners at first resisted the purchase of dedicated mailboxes, often using old boots, empty bushel baskets, tins, and wooden boxes in which to collect their mail.
 

 

OK, maybe this will clear it up.  I am confused as to how this relates to the thread, even to electric vehicles.  Unless you mean to say that technology changes everything over time.  And that in time electric vehicles will be commonplace and maybe eventually totally replace gas powered vehicles.  Is that it?

 

Note on mailboxes.  We have front door delivery, but if we ever have street side with a mailbox we cannot go back to front door delivery.  USPS regulation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of EV's, several years ago a manufacturer came to Greenville SC to build electric buses.  I expected them to fail, but instead they are very successful.  Make city type transit buses, but not exploring school buses.  The HQ moves a lot and is now in CA, but buses still being assembled in S.C. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proterra_(bus_manufacturer)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...