Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022)

This thread belongs in the off topics since she wasn’t an actress or movie related. Yeah, I know some jokester will reply with some irrelevant channel four documentary she had a one minute interview in or count her Christmas messages as movies. :rolleyes: 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

This thread belongs in the off topics since she wasn’t an actress or movie related. Yeah, I know some jokester will reply with some irrelevant channel four documentary she had a one minute interview in or count her Christmas messages as movies. :rolleyes: 

I think as the subject of a major current television series (The Crown), it's fitting for HM to be honoured here. She has also been a character in many other fictionalized series.

Check out some of the other obits that have appeared here: sports figures, musicians, etc. For the most part, they can't compare to her appearances as a character in film, and also as the subject of documentary films as well.

RIP

3190.jpg?width=620&quality=45&fit=max&dp

• Like 5

I agree that this belongs in General Comments.  Reigning 70 years, I would wager that she was probably the most recognizable woman in the world.  Her passing is historic. As the longest serving British monarch,  Churchill was her first PM and Truss, born 101 years after him, was her last. RIP

RCIN 2509005 - HM Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926)  

The PM in her address just a few minutes ago referred to him as King Charles III.  Her office would have confirmed this before making a public statement like that, and the BBC is now referring to him as Charles III.  Up to this point, they had been questioning whether he would keep Charles as his name, or change it.

The Royal Family just confirmed that he will be known as Charles III.

Edited by txfilmfan
Edited with latest confirmation of the new king's name
  • Thanks 2

Her passing brings a lot of mixed feelings. She had too much influence over Brittons. She had a dysfunctional family, and of course any other 96 year old woman who did well by her family dying today won't get mentioned.

I always felt she could have had a better relationship with Diana and am glad Lawrence posted a picture of Diana.

• Thanks 1

She took on a very hard job in 1952 and never once  complained. At her coronation she promised to serve her country until the day she died and she did.  She was front and center for her country through wars, many  prime ministers and huge social changes. 

Her work hours and activities are published daily in the Times and the hours she spent sitting through ceremonies and appearing  at charity functions was about four times the number the "caring princess' served during her short time as a member of "the firm."   

Since some think Diana has to have her picture on this thread.  I'll quote what Michael Sheen as Tony Blair said about the Elizabeth II in "The Queen."  Talking to an assistant who was complaining about The Queen after Diana's death.

"You know, when you get it wrong, you really get it wrong! That woman has given her whole life in service to her people. Fifty years doing a job SHE never wanted! A job she watched kill her father. She's executed it with honor, dignity, and, as far as I can tell, without a single blemish, and now we're all baying for her blood! All because she's struggling to lead the world in mourning for someone who... who threw everything she offered back in her face. And who, for the last few years, seemed committed 24/7 to destroying everything she holds most dear!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

She took on a very hard job in 1952 and never once  complained. At her coronation she promised to serve her country until the day she did,.  She was front and center for her country through wars, many  prime ministers and huge social changes. 

Her work hours and activities are published daily in the Times and the hours she spent sitting through ceremonies and appearing  at charity functions was about four times the number the "caring princess' served during her short time as a member of "the firm."   

Claire Foy won her second Primetime Emmy for "The Crown" via a flashback appearance in the Season 4 episode "48.1," which re-created Princess Elizabeth's 1947 radio address to the British Commonwealth from Cape Town. South Africa. In the address, delivered on her 21st birthday, Elizabeth pledged "that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

See the source image

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Her passing brings a lot of mixed feelings. She had too much influence over Brittons. She had a dysfunctional family, and of course any other 96 year old woman who did well by her family dying today won't get mentioned.

I always felt she could have had a better relationship with Diana and am glad Lawrence posted a picture of Diana.

The same could be said for anyone else who dies on the same day as a very famous person.  Why would "any other 96-year-old woman who did well by her family dying today" get mentioned as much as Queen Elzabeth?   They wouldn't get national attention on any other day either.

Diana and the Queen were from different generations and were raised differently.  Was Queen Elizabeth especially unkind to Diana?     I don't remember hearing that.    Charles and Diana were never a good fit.  As someone who had parents from the same generation as the Queen, I think that is just how she was raised and how she raised her kids and how she took her duties as Queen.  After seeing the outpouring of emotion from the public at Diana's death, the Queen did make, for her, unprecedented steps to visit with people outside Buckingham and look at the displays left in Diana's honor.  She seems to have had a relatively good relationship with Diana's sons.  I took Lawrence's posting a picture of Diana as a bit of a ribbing at the Queen but maybe I'm wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hellzapoppin said:

I took Lawrence's posting a picture of Diana as a bit of a ribbing at the Queen but maybe I'm wrong.  

That's how it was intended. To say I have antipathy towards the royals, and that includes Diana despite the picture, would be putting it mildly. I felt the picture was a fairly innocuous way to express that without becoming more blatantly disdainful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

Actually I started one in Off Topics because I believed it should be there rather than General.  after all, we don't discuss Trump in General. 

Up to moderators to decide. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

That's how it was intended. To say I have antipathy towards the royals, and that includes Diana despite the picture, would be putting it mildly. I felt the picture was a fairly innocuous way to express that without becoming more blatantly disdainful. 

I am sure many in Ireland would feel the same way, Larry.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Cheeky.   👍

Sarah Sarah Ferguson Duchess York Princess Editorial Stock Photo - Stock  Image | Shutterstock | Shutterstock Editorial