Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Crown (2016-)

Swithin

I've been binging on The Crown, in the last couple of months. Because of my British connections, people have been asking me for years why I haven't watched it. It's simple: I didn't have Netflix, until I switched my mobile service and they gave it to me.

I loved the first two seasons and think Claire Foy was brilliant, as the young Queen Elizabeth, with the rest of the cast quite wonderful as well.  It was, however, a bit disconcerting to segue into Season 3, right after seeing the last episode of Season 2. I knew the cast was going to change, and who the actors were going to be. Still, Season 3 begins 1 year after the end of Season 2, but the change seems so drastic. I know most viewers will have watched new seasons probably six months to a year after the previous season. Perhaps to them, it didn't seem so drastic. But HM The Queen seems also like a different person, character-wise, though I love Olivia Colman. I look forward to carrying on watching.

A highlight for me in the earlier season was the meeting with Victoria Hamilton as The Queen Mother with John Standing, who plays a local lord up in Scotland. That was really sweet.

But it is Claire Foy who is the star -- she's brilliant! The production values and locations are great.

04CROWN-superJumbo-v2.jpg

• Like 5

My favorite character from the second phase of "The Crown" (Seasons 3 and 4) is Prince Philip (portrayed by Primetime Emmy winner Tobias Menzies). I had forgotten that Menzies had the role of the duplicitous Brutus in the HBO historical drama "Rome," which aired from 2005 to 2007.

See the source image

I loved Philip's relationship with his only daughter, Anne (portrayed by Erin Doherty). It was obvious that she was his favorite child. They had a lot in common.

The Crown season 4: Erin Doherty

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, jakeem said:

My favorite character from the second phase of "The Crown" (Seasons 3 and 4) is Prince Philip (portrayed by Primetime Emmy winner Tobias Menzies). I had forgotten that Menzies had the role of the duplicitous Brutus in the HBO historical drama "Rome," which aired from 2005 to 2007.

See the source image

He's a fine actor. I've seen him on stage in an excellent modern-dress version of Uncle Vanya. He played the Doctor. He also channels Prince Philip very well! 

4113.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

He's a fine actor. I've seen him on stage in an excellent modern-dress version of Uncle Vanya. He played the Doctor.

4113.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

The woman to the left looks like Vanessa Kirby who played younger Princess Margaret on The Crown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Hellzapoppin said:

The woman to the left looks like Vanessa Kirby who played younger Princess Margaret on The Crown.

You know what? I just checked my programme. It is Vanessa Kirby! She played Elena. The cast also included Jessica Brown Findley as Sonya. She was in Downton Abbey -- the daughter who died in childbirth.

The lead -- Uncle Vanya (called Uncle John in this production), was played by the great Paul Rhys. Susan Wooldridge played the aged Maria. If you saw The Jewel and the Crown, you'll have seen the young Susan Wooldridge as Daphne Manners, who was crucial to the plot in the early episodes and died in childbirth.

• Like 1

My favorite episode of "The Crown" is Season 2's "Marionettes," in which the Queen (Claire Foy) delivers a blah speech at a Jaguar factory in 1957. Meanwhile, a publisher and peer named Lord Altrincham (guest star John Heffernan) criticizes the speech as being out of touch. As he tells the Queen at one point: "Because I dare offer an opinion, I must be trying to burn the temple down. On the contrary, I'm trying to make sure it survives."

Eventually, the palace realizes that many of Altrincham's solutions to the problem have merit. And one of the changes was to begin televising the Queen's traditional radio message at Christmastime.

The Crown" Marionettes (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb

In contrast to her father's longtime discomfort with public speaking (see "The King's Speech"), Queen Elizabeth II  was adept at it for most of her life. Her annual Christmas Day message to her subjects became must-see television worldwide. And she apparently was on top of pop culture developments. In her 2014 Christmas address, she excited the Twitterverse by referring to her June visit to the set of "Game of Thrones" in Belfast, Northern Ireland. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, jakeem said:

My favorite episode of "The Crown" is Season 2's "Marionettes," in which the Queen (Claire Foy) delivers a blah speech at a Jaguar factory in 1957. Meanwhile, a publisher and peer named Lord Altrincham (guest star John Heffernan) criticizes the speech as being out of touch. As he tells the Queen at one point: "Because I dare offer an opinion, I must be trying to burn the temple down. On the contrary, I'm trying to make sure it survives."

Eventually, the palace realizes that many of Altrincham's solutions to the problem have merit. And one of the changes was to begin televising the Queen's traditional radio message at Christmastime.

That's a great episode. The scene when Altrincham is ushered into a room, thinking he's going to meet a minor official, and meets the Queen, is priceless. John Heffernon, who plays Altrincham, is a great actor. I've seem him in the RSC production of Oppenheimer, in which he plays the title role.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/jan/23/oppenheimer-review-rsc-atomic-bomb-drama-tom-morton-smith

• Thanks 1

............In September 2021, Netflix shared a video message from Imelda Staunton, who is taking on the role of Queen Elizabeth II, on the set of “The Crown” announcing the news.............

What is Season Five about?

Season Five will focus on the royal family’s life from early-to-mid 1990s. Likely, the plot will focus on Charles and Princess Diana's marital turmoil: The couple separated in 1992 and divorced in 1996, a year before Diana died in a shocking car accident.

A whole new group of actors were tapped to bring to life the royals from that decade.

The season is also set during John Major’s tenure as England’s prime minister from 1990-97.

Who is in 'The Crown' Season Five?

Imelda Staunton ("Harry Potter," "Downton Abbey") is transforming into Queen Elizabeth for the fifth season, succeeding Claire Floy and Olivia Colman, who played younger versions of the monarch......

Other notable characters that are set to appear — and their actor counterparts — are:

• Jonathan Pryce as Elizabeth’s husband, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
  • Lesley Manville as Elizabeth’s younger sister, Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon.
  • Jonny Lee Miller as John Major, Prime Minister.
  • Marcia Warren as Elizabeth II’s mother, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.
  • Olivia Williams as Camilla Parker Bowles, now queen consort
  • Claudia Harrison as Princess Anne, Elizabeth and Philip’s second child and only daughter.
  • James Murray as Prince Andrew, Elizabeth and Philip’s third child.
  • Emma Laird Craig as Sarah, Duchess of York, Andrew’s wife.
  • Sam Woolf as Prince Edward, Elizabeth and Philip’s youngest child...........

Is there a Season Six of 'The Crown'?

Yes, filming for Season Six of “The Crown” is already underway.

On Sept. 2, the young actors taking on the roles of teenage versions of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, were announced.

Rufus Kampa will play a younger version of Prince William, while Ed McVey will get a shot to play Prince William as an older teen. Making her professional acting debut, Meg Bellamy will play the former Kate Middleton. The actor playing Prince Harry has not been cast...............

• Thanks 1

My wife and I have probably watched the crown three times through by now.  Every time my (english) mother-in-law visits, it seems like we binge it again.  Not looking forward to another change of cast in the new series, as it does take a while to warm up to new portrayals, but think everyone's done a great job acting so far.  Didn't think they portrayed Thatcher in a good light, but otherwise i've loved the show- especially compared to Poldark, which is the other show i've been subjected to multiple viewings with my mother-in-law (it's set in Cornwall and was filmed all around us).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

My wife and I have probably watched the crown three times through by now.  Every time my (english) mother-in-law visits, it seems like we binge it again.  Not looking forward to another change of cast in the new series, as it does take a while to warm up to new portrayals, but think everyone's done a great job acting so far.  Didn't think they portrayed Thatcher in a good light, but otherwise i've loved the show- especially compared to Poldark, which is the other show i've been subjected to multiple viewings with my mother-in-law (it's set in Cornwall and was filmed all around us).

Ha! The reason I began watching the CBS series "FBI International" is because Heida Reed -- the Icelandic actress who played Ross Poldark's onetime fiancée -- is in it.

See the source image

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Ha! The reason I began watching the CBS series "FBI International" is because Heida Reed -- the Icelandic actress who played Ross Poldark's onetime fiancée -- is in it.

See the source image

She is not an unattractive woman  😁

i was crushing on vanessa kirby from the crown.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

I haven't got up to Thatcher yet. But any work that features both Thatcher and the Queen, tends to be hard on Thatcher. I enjoyed Moira Buffini's play Handbagged a few years ago, about the private audiences between Thatcher and the Queen. The play is harder on Thatcher. It' being revived this season. This is the original cast, two queens, two Thatchers, at different ages.

handbagged.jpg

• Like 1

I've just watched Season 3, episode 4: "Bubbikins." The focus of the episode is Princess Alice, the mother of Prince Philip. The actress is brilliant and I wondered whom she was. I was surprised to learn it's Jane Lapotaire, whom I first saw as Rosaline in an RSC production of Love's Labour's Lost in 1979, and in 1984 in the National Theatre production of that great, rarely performed play, Venice Preserv'd, in which she played Belvidera. She's still wowing us with her performances!

princess-alice-the-crown.jpg

EE231D93-89A2-41EE-AF5E-EDA1EBD0CE07.jpe

With Michael Pennington in Love's Labour's Lost

• Like 2

A funny thing about period pieces on television: At some point, they're obliged to re-create a disastrous or notorious event.

In the Primetime Emmy Award-winning British drama series "Upstairs, Downstairs," Lady Marjorie Bellamy (Rachel Gurney) decides to travel to America in the spring of 1912 to visit her pregnant daughter Elizabeth in New York. After her departure , we discovered that she was a passenger on the RMS Titanic during its maiden voyage.

See the source image

Since "Mad Men" -- another Primetime Emmy Award-winning drama series-- took place during the 1960s, we all knew they'd address the assassination of President Kennedy on November 22. 1963. The only question was how it would be done. Well, in the Season 3 episode "The Grown-Ups," account executive Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser) is discussing a job issue in the office of Harry Crane (Rich Sommer). Since Harry headed the new television department for the Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency, his TV was on all the time. During the scene, Harry's black-and-white TV is tuned to the CBS daytime drama "As the World Turns." If you remembered television history, you knew what would happen next.

See the source image

When "The Crown" began streaming on Netflix, I wondered if there would be an episode about Michael Fagan -- an unemployed Londoner who broke into Buckingham Palace twice in the summer of 1982. The second time, he wandered into the bedroom of Queen Elizabeth II around 7 a.m., when her security and staff were otherwise occupied. As it was later explained, the Queen awakened and then spent 10 minutes talking calmly to the intruder until help arrived. Fagan  gave a different version of the encounter. When the Queen saw him, he told The Independent UK newspaper, "She went past me and ran out of the room; her little bare feet running across the floor." The Season 4 episode of "The Crown" titled "Fagan" -- headlined by Olivia Colman as the Queen and guest star Tom Brooke as her unexpected visitor -- is closer to the official version of the story.

See the source image

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jakeem said:

When "The Crown" began streaming on Netflix, I wondered if there would be an episode about Michael Fagan -- an unemployed Londoner who broke into Buckingham Palace twice in the summer of 1982. The second time, he wandered into the bedroom of Queen Elizabeth II around 7 a.m., when her security and staff were otherwise occupied. As it was later explained, the Queen awakened and then spent 10 minutes talking calmly to the intruder until help arrived. Fagan told a different version of the encounter. When the Queen saw him, he told The Independent UK newspaper, "She went past me and ran out of the room; her little bare feet running across the floor." The Season 4 episode of "The Crown" titled "Fagan" -- headlined by Olivia Colman as the Queen  and guest star Tom Brooke as her unexpected visitor --is closer to the official version of the story.

See the source image

That's interesting, I remember when that happened. I'm not up to that episode yet.

I have a friend in London who refuses to watch The Crown, because she feels it's fiction. While of course much of it is based on fact, there are so many private conversations that can never have been known, so much of it is of course fiction. 

The episode featuring President and Mrs. Kennedy implies -- fairly strongly -- that Jack was abusive to Jackie. He seems about to beat her, because he felt that she outshone him in Paris. Is there any evidence for that?

47 minutes ago, Swithin said:

That's interesting, I remember when that happened. I'm not up to that episode yet.

I have a friend in London who refuses to watch The Crown, because she feels it's fiction. While of course much of it is based on fact, there are so many private conversations that can never have been known, so much of it is of course fiction. 

The episode featuring President and Mrs. Kennedy implies -- fairly strongly -- that Jack was abusive to Jackie. He seems about to beat her, because he felt that she outshone him in Paris. Is there any evidence for that?

I've never heard about physical abuse in the Kennedys' marriage. I'm sure there was emotional abuse because of his frequent cheating.

As for "The Crown" and its blurring the lines between fact and fiction, Prince Harry told late-night talk show host James Corden last year that he and his wife Meghan watched the series. "I am way more comfortable with 'The Crown' than I am seeing stories written about my family or my wife. That ['The Crown'] is obviously fiction, take it how you will. But this is being reported on as fact because you’re supposedly news. I have a real issue with that,” he said.

Watch Prince Harry Bus Tour On 'The Late Late Show With James Corden' –  Deadline

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

I've never heard about physical abuse in the Kennedys' marriage. I'm sure there was emotional abuse because of his frequent cheating.

As for "The Crown" and its blurring the lines between fact and fiction, Prince Harry told late-night talk show host James Corden last year that he and his wife Meghan watched the series. "I am way more comfortable with 'The Crown' than I am seeing stories written about my family or my wife. That ['The Crown'] is obviously fiction, take it how you will. But this is being reported on as fact because you’re supposedly news. I have a real issue with that,” he said.

Watch Prince Harry Bus Tour On 'The Late Late Show With James Corden' –  Deadline

This was a real fun show. Almost as fun as the episode where he drove with Paul McCartney. And Paul wouldn't stop singing.

20 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I've never seen any evidence of Jack beating Jackie.

But as far as presidents go, I do believe that Nixon beat his wife when he was drunk.

And reportedly Hillary Clinton threw a lamp at Bill after he'd been such a naughty boy that the public found out about it.

As for the Eisenhowers, I heard that Mamie liked to pat his bald head. And that was pretty hot and heavy for the 1950s.

• Like 1

Today I watched the episode in which Prince Charles is sent to study in Wales. It's quite a good episode, though the Queen comes across as very hard. Colman is a much harder Queen than Claire Foy. Josh O'Connor is excellent as Prince Charles. Coincidence that I woke up at 5am this morning and saw the ceremony with King Charles III.

Charles Dance makes a very good Lord Mountbatten, though the previous episode was more about him. Dance has aged. I remember him as Guy Perron in Jewel in the Crown; and a few years later on stage as Coriolanus.

THE-CROWN-prince-charles-wales-7e3a4b2.j

Josh O'Connor

8882337.jpg

Charles Dance as Lord Louis Mountbatten in The Crown

23-charles-dance-perron.jpg?quality=75&w

Charles Dance as Guy Perron in The Jewel in the Crown

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Swithin said:

Today I watched the episode in which Prince Charles is sent to study in Wales. It's quite a good episode, though the Queen comes across as very hard. Colman is a much harder Queen than Claire Foy. Josh O'Connor is excellent as Prince Charles. Coincidence that I woke up at 5am this morning and saw the ceremony with King Charles III.

THE-CROWN-prince-charles-wales-7e3a4b2.j

Josh O'Connor

I've never watched THE CROWN even though I've subscribed to Netflix for years. I've been meaning to watch based on positive comments about the series on these message boards and other sources.

The real young Prince Charles (now King Charles III) was quite the looker, more attractive than Josh O'Connor in my opinion.

prince-charles-hot-and-sweaty-after-polo  

prince_charles_06.jpgtumblr_mvoztdTckI1qebt70o1_640.jpgPrince-Charles.jpg

97c3c9780c112c93f4ca40881247b47f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just watched The Crown Season 3 Episode 7: "Moondust," the one with the moon landing and the visit from the astronauts.  I think it may be my least favorite episode so far. I'm not a fan of the episodes focusing on Prince Philip's identity crises. At least he apologized to the priests at the end, which was a good scene. And Tobias Menzies is a fine actor.

llxlfdppv0tcrijhwdzg.png

On 9/11/2022 at 7:41 PM, Swithin said:

I just watched The Crown Season 3 Episode 7: "Moondust," the one with the moon landing and the visit from the astronauts.  I think it may be my least favorite episode so far. I'm not a fan of the episodes focusing on Prince Philip's identity crises. At least he apologized to the priests at the end, which was a good scene. And Tobias Menzies is a fine actor.

It seems that I liked this one more than you did, Swithin. It was fascinating whenever Philip (portrayed by Matt Smith in the first phase of "The Crown") became passionate about  a hobby -- i.e. learning to fly airplanes -- to  compensate for his misgivings about being the husband of the Queen.

10 Things That Make No Historical Sense About The Crown

In real life, he was a speed demon. In 2019, he gave up his driver's license after his Land Rover flipped over during a car crash. He was 97 years old at the time.

On 9/11/2022 at 3:09 PM, HoldenIsHere said:

I've never watched THE CROWN even though I've subscribed to Netflix for years. I've been meaning to watch based on positive comments about the series on these message boards and other sources.

The real young Prince Charles (now King Charles III) was quite the looker, more attractive than Josh O'Connor in my opinion.

prince_charles_06.jpg

Yeah, but I've admired O'Connor's performances as the young Charles -- for which he deservedly earned a Primetime Emmy last year. His engaging version of Charles in "Tywysog Cymru" (the Season 3 Wales episode) was light years removed from the apparently finicky new monarch who recently became incensed by a leaky pen.

• Like 1