Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dead Reckoning, 8:00 PM, Sep. 08


ElCid
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sorry for late post, but this is an interesting movie with Humphrey Bogart and Elisabeth Scott.   Always liked it, but it may be my Army airborne connection.  But that is only a minor part of the movie, so I think the rest of it is pretty good.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed,  ELCID, it's a very creditable outing for Bogey and Lizabeth Scott.  Lots of sinister atmosphere and enjoyable twists.   I'm always struck by that believably steamy setting in a Gulf city.   It's not New Orleans of course;  I finally guessed that it would have to be post-war Tampa.   No cigar, but close--  I read that they used some locales in St. Petersburg for the movie, among others, including Biloxi.   Boy, St. Petersburg must have been pretty sleepy back then though!   Lizabeth Scott looks wonderful and is shrewdly cast as a nightclub siren.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, lilypond said:

Agreed,  ELCID, it's a very creditable outing for Bogey and Lizabeth Scott.  Lots of sinister atmosphere and enjoyable twists.   I'm always struck by that believably steamy setting in a Gulf city.   It's not New Orleans of course;  I finally guessed that it would have to be post-war Tampa.   No cigar, but close--  I read that they used some locales in St. Petersburg for the movie, among others, including Biloxi.   Boy, St. Petersburg must have been pretty sleepy back then though!   Lizabeth Scott looks wonderful and is shrewdly cast as a nightclub siren.

 

I always thought it was supposed to be in the Florida panhandle area.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Dead Reckoning as well but that dialogue! At times it almost makes the film seem like a film noir parody.

And Bogart's talk about wanting to put a woman in his pocket won't be a scene that will be endearing to many women today.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

And Bogart's talk about wanting to put a woman in his pocket won't be a scene that will be endearing to many women today.

I saw Dead Reckoning at a West Hollywood revival theater back in the 80s.     There were about 30 people watching the film.    I took a date. 

When that scene came on some of the gals started to boo (one of them my date), and the men clapped  (I was wise enough to know better!).   Later on at dinner,  my date and I did have a good discussion about this scene.

Director John Cromwell and the screenplay writers were clearly influenced by Howard Hawks and his style of male\female banter from films like Only Angel Have Wings,  To Have and Have Not,  and The Big Sleep.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, it's supposed to be in the Florida panhandle, ELCID?    That's interesting.  I wonder if they meant it to be a totally fictional city, then-- since I can't think of one big enough there to have that "urban" feeling, esp. in the Forties.   Can't remember the made-up name they give it.  

There's Tallahassee (sp.) , but that's not really on the coast, right, seems to have a different vibe.   I wish there WERE a steamy, gritty noirish city with swank night clubs on the Panhandle coast in real life.   It seems the perfect place for one.

TOMJH and JAMESJAZGUITAR,   yah, that line about putting a woman in his pocket sticks out and is pretty notorious.  I LOATHE  predictable doctrinaire feminist outrage at harmless exchanges,  but in this case, even I thought the scene landed with a thud.  Just made Bogart look kind of cloddish,  and missed the mark of the clever,  flirtatious badinage in the other films you reference...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What everyone leaves out when criticizing the aforementioned scene with Bogie mentioning shrinking women and keeping them in his pocket is---Lizbeth Scott immediately claps back with a retort and says something akin to, "that's the most ridiculous, conceited thing I think I've ever heard."

Anyway, I love Dead Reckoning as a film noir.  It has all the tropes of the genre, including Bogie with the voice over narration.  I always thought The Big Sleep would have been greatly improved with a Bogart voice over.  Geronimo! 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, CineClassics said:

What everyone leaves out when criticizing the aforementioned scene with Bogie mentioning shrinking women and keeping them in his pocket is---Lizbeth Scott immediately claps back with a retort and says something akin to, "that's the most ridiculous, conceited thing I think I've ever heard."

Note that the scene where the Bogie character calls the Scott character  Mike is related to the other scene:   She is now one of the boys.   MOST women have to be put in their place,  but not this gall,   she is  different,  she is one of us,    welcome to the club Mike.     Again,  standard Hawks type perspective of male \ female interaction.     The man is only sexist to silly females that deserve it.     See Red River  for yet another example.

The issue with Dead Reckoning IMO,  is  that these interactions  are not done with the same style and manner as Hawks was  able to do them and as others have noted tend to fall flat.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, lilypond said:

Oh, it's supposed to be in the Florida panhandle, ELCID?    That's interesting.  I wonder if they meant it to be a totally fictional city, then-- since I can't think of one big enough there to have that "urban" feeling, esp. in the Forties.   Can't remember the made-up name they give it.  

There's Tallahassee (sp.) , but that's not really on the coast, right, seems to have a different vibe.   I wish there WERE a steamy, gritty noirish city with swank night clubs on the Panhandle coast in real life.   It seems the perfect place for one.

TOMJH and JAMESJAZGUITAR,   yah, that line about putting a woman in his pocket sticks out and is pretty notorious.  I LOATHE  predictable doctrinaire feminist outrage at harmless exchanges,  but in this case, even I thought the scene landed with a thud.  Just made Bogart look kind of cloddish,  and missed the mark of the clever,  flirtatious badinage in the other films you reference...

 

Don't know if it is supposed to be in the panhandle, but just struck me that way.   Course FL is very different between today and 1945. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, CineClassics said:

What everyone leaves out when criticizing the aforementioned scene with Bogie mentioning shrinking women and keeping them in his pocket is---Lizbeth Scott immediately claps back with a retort and says something akin to, "that's the most ridiculous, conceited thing I think I've ever heard."

Anyway, I love Dead Reckoning as a film noir.  It has all the tropes of the genre, including Bogie with the voice over narration.  I always thought The Big Sleep would have been greatly improved with a Bogart voice over.  Geronimo! 

 

FYI:  Geronimo was supposedly used by paratroopers in WW II as they exited the plane.   Then your main chute should be open and if not, pull the reserve.  That's the story I have heard.  Now you are told (or at least I was) to count to four by thousands and then look and pull reserve if don't see the main chute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...