Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SOUNDIES

SOUNDIES - produced in the 1940s - were shown last night on TCM and I enjoyed seeing LOUIS ARMSTRONG  ANITA O'DAY  GENE KRUPA  STAN KENTON and several others.    Later, they showed some Country artists, which I was not familiar with.  Anybody else look at these? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I caught some of them when they were on. My favorite was not shown unfortunately:

Fans of Marc Caro will remember this one was featured prominently in Delicatessen. It is supposed to be funny because the character watching it on the TV in that scene  is a cannibal. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

SOUNDIES - produced in the 1940s - were shown last night on TCM and I enjoyed seeing LOUIS ARMSTRONG  ANITA O'DAY  GENE KRUPA  STAN KENTON and several others.    Later, they showed some Country artists, which I was not familiar with.  Anybody else look at these? 

Yea,  I watched all of the jazz related ones.      I really liked them.    Most had a nice mix of that arranged big band sound with some short solos (improvisation).    I'm not really a fan of overly arranged music because I find  the music too static,  but how these band leaders combined arranged music with improvisation was hip and very enjoyable.

• Like 2

I watched with great interest. I really enjoy this type of programming, lost and overlooked films of the Golden Age.  So glad so many of these are still surviving.

I thought the documentary with Michael Feinstein was quite informative. The shorts were HIGHLY entertaining. I am definitely looking forward to the 21st. I'll be watching part two.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I remember my local PBS station having a show devoted to those.  And my Mom recalled seeing some of those "Soundie"  juke boxes around her Detroit neighborhood when she was in high school in the '40's.

Poster%20-%20Soundies_01.jpg

20051035_12_med.jpeg

Saw some outstanding dancing in some of those "soundies".  And to some fantastic music.

Sepiatone

• Like 2