Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marsha Hunt (1917-2022)

speedracer5

So sad, but a long productive life. A last connection to the Golden Age. Great actress -- great lady. RIP.

At the 1:07 point in this clip, you can hear her charmingly amusing rendition of "Flow Gently Sweet Afton" from Pride and Prejudice (1940).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

It's funny that I don't think I ever saw Marsha Hunt in a movie until a few weeks ago. Although, of course I've seen her on TV shows a few times

I recently watched her in two movies with Laraine Day. One was a remake of "The Trial of Mary Dugan". They made a good team.

It's unbelievable how many people were blacklisted and had no opportunity to defend themselves or to seek legal recourse.

• Like 5

Marsha Hunt death: Blacklisted actor and activist dies aged 104

Hunt appeared in films such as ‘Pride and Prejudice’ and ‘Raw Deal’

"........Her breakthrough came in MGM’s These Glamour Girls in 1939, in which she featured opposite Lana Turner.

A number of other well-received roles followed, including in Anthony Mann’s Raw Deal in 1948.

Hunt’s career took a turn in 1947, when she and her second husband, screenwriter Robert Presnell Jr, joined an organisation opposing the House Un-American Activities Committee.

Although she would later reveal that she had no particular affiliation with communism, Hunt refused to apologise for her association with the committee, which included a stunt in which herself and other members flew to Washington, DC, to attend HUAC hearings and support creatives facing scrutiny.

In 1950, she was blacklisted from Hollywood.

In the decades that followed, she turned increasingly to humanitarian work. Her screen career did endure with a handful of projects, however, including 1971’s Johnny Got His Gun, and in TV series such as Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Among the humanitarian causes Hunt campaigned for were world hunger, homeless shelters, the legalisation of same-sex marriage and climate emergency awareness......

see:  https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/marsha-hunt-death-age-cause-films-b2164358.html

Marsha Hunt, Class of 1934 - Horace Mann School

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The impact blacklisting had on actors like Marsha Hunt was a shame.     Hunt had an easy going screen persona well suited for many different types of roles.

There are films Hunt was in that I don't recall TCM showing since they are from studios TCM tends  not to feature much:

Mary Ryan,  Detective:  Columbia (1949),  with John Litel and June Vincent.   (Hunt is Mary Ryan).

Take One False Step:   Universal (1949),  with William Powell and Shelley Winters.

Actor's  and Sin:  United Artist  (1952),  with E.G. Robinson.

Diplomatic Passport: Eros Films (1954),  a British film made because Hunt had to leave Hollywood,  with Honor Blackman.

Back from the Dead:  20th Century Fox (1957), with Peggie Castle.   

RIP Marsha.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

sad..

.long life though.

as an artist i was drawn to her features,

she had a GREAT profile. my kind of  ballerina face. clean features. and frigging adorable in pride and prejudice. that's the film when  i first noticed her. she should've worn glasses all the time

61iBmSvMz8L._AC_SX466_ (1).jpg

marsha-hunt_sq-00e75bb2df3c55d520899ea75f47a94e999dde78-s800-c85.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Interesting that Margaret O'Brien who was working for MGM in 1943,  isn't in this photo.   I do see what looks to be a child on the far right \ first row,  but that looks like a boy.

link to huge photo . man, was garson's hair RED

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Interesting that Margaret O'Brien who was working for MGM in 1943,  isn't in this photo.   I do see what looks to be a child on the far right \ first row,  but that looks like a boy.

That's Jackie Jenkins on the far right, between the first and second row.  He passed away in 2001, age 63.

I thought I remembered that Angela Lansbury was in the photo, but she's not.  

Desi Arnaz is there in the top row, having made one picture for MGM by that time.  And then there's Kate, in slacks, sandals and socks.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

That's Jackie Jenkins on the far right, between the first and second row.  He passed away in 2001, age 63.

I thought I remembered that Angela Lansbury was in the photo, but she's not.  

Desi Arnaz is there in the top row, having made one picture for MGM by that time.  And then there's Kate, in slacks, sandals and socks.

Angela Lansbury didn't sign with MGM until 1944, so if she is in the1944 photo than she is likely to be the oldest living actor in the photo (along with O'Brien).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Swithin said:

So sad, but a long productive life. A last connection to the Golden Age. Great actress -- great lady. RIP.

At the 1:07 point in this clip, you can hear her charmingly amusing rendition of "Flow Gently Sweet Afton" from Pride and Prejudice (1940).

Kalos.

3 hours ago, lydecker said:

Words fail me.  She was a remarkable actress, a remarkable human being and always a delight to watch whether in a film, tv appearance or in an interview.  We will miss you, Marsha Hunt.

Few Performers; past or present, possess such a Lovely, Beautiful stranglehold on ones attenion along with ones sense of Wonder.

That, in and of itself; was Lovely.

• Like 1

I agree with JamesJazGuitar's earlier assessment about Marsha Hunt.  She had a professional, easy-going persona onscreen for most of her roles.  A shame that she and so many others were wrapped up in fear-mongering from right wing radicals that caused such upheaval in the lives of those in the entertainment industry.  I think Marsha Hunt and Norman Lloyd were the only remaining centenarians from the Golden Age of Hollywood (I might be wrong on that though).  Norman passed away last year, and now, Marsha.

Any idea on who might be the oldest male or female star still with us?

13 hours ago, midwestan said:

I agree with JamesJazGuitar's earlier assessment about Marsha Hunt.  She had a professional, easy-going persona onscreen for most of her roles.  A shame that she and so many others were wrapped up in fear-mongering from right wing radicals that caused such upheaval in the lives of those in the entertainment industry.  I think Marsha Hunt and Norman Lloyd were the only remaining centenarians from the Golden Age of Hollywood (I might be wrong on that though).  Norman passed away last year, and now, Marsha.

Any idea on who might be the oldest male or female star still with us?

Angela Lansbury comes to mind.    She was born in 1925.    But of course it depends on how one defines "star".    (i.e. I'm sure there is some older less known actor still alive).      I view Lansbury as a star but hey  I'm mad about her. 

Dame Angela Lansbury News 🇺🇦 on Twitter | Angela lansbury, Hollywood,  Movie stars