Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vampire Movies

skimpole

It's not going to be October, otherwise known in TCM world as Halloween month, for another two and a half weeks.  But although there have been probably been threads on the subject before, lets talk about vampire movies.  In fact, since my book club chose Interview with the Vampire, let's start with the movie version: 

antonio-banderas-vampire.gif

I was the only girl (token) in an otherwise all gay male workplace & every guy was enraptured reading "Interview...".  I read a borrowed copy shortly thereafter and didn't see what the fuss was about. Never saw the movie, is it any good?

Vampires need to be stealthy & sexy, they've had decades to figure out how to charm victims-Vampires should never be "monsters". 

tumblr_mvhoksA8ga1sqf5tdo1_640.jpg

My two favorite screen vampires were Bela Lugosi (obviously...he set the tone!) and much later Chris Sarandon. I thought Frank Langella was a sexy vampire too, but thought he was just a little too restrained. I like seeing sadness & passion boiling underneath the surface, Chris Sarandon captured it perfectly in the otherwise silly movie FRIGHT NIGHT 1985.

31da2f465d5dd760667dee950992ea0a--fright

c785d6023521ca2c6187c2cbd8a739a6.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Vampires need to be stealthy & sexy, they've had decades to figure out how to charm victims-Vampires should never be "monsters". 

I guess you don't like Max Schreck then. The first screen vampire is still one of the most frightening. Sexy? No. Charming? I don't think so. But he is most definitely a monster.

The Evolution of Vampires in Film and Television | Horror

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

I was the only girl (token) in an otherwise all gay male workplace & every guy was enraptured reading "Interview...".  I read a borrowed copy shortly thereafter and didn't see what the fuss was about. Never saw the movie, is it any good?

I thought it sucked. 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

I was the only girl (token) in an otherwise all gay male workplace

Very interesting.  How many people worked there and what kind of workplace was it?

Here are a few Favourite vampire films of mine.

Unless I post this by mistake. .. but, Hey, - they might all suck. (No particular order)

Let Me In.

Let the Right One In.

The Feast.

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter.

30 Days of Night.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

The Fearless Vampire Killers.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Very interesting.  How many people worked there and what kind of workplace was it?

Mmm it was a staff of about 25-30 in the Visual Merchandising Department back in the 80's. I had all the Women's Depts: sportswear, ladies, juniors, jewelry, purses & shoes, etc.  I had guessed the guys weren't comfortable handling female models & mannequins and it was the largest department in the store. 

Was told I was hired over all the others because I wore a suit & tie for my interview...they figured I'd "fit in" - and I did!

5 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

The Fearless Vampire Killers.

The first title always struck me as hilarious-never saw it- is it a comedy? 

The second title is one of my favorites.

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

The first screen vampire is still one of the most frightening. Sexy? No. Charming? I don't think so. But he is most definitely a monster.

Agreed. That movie was scary & I love it! But I do prefer a sexy vampire over a more animal-like scary one, who wouldn't?

I know that it is not canon but my favorite vampire movie is: Love at First Bite (1979)

ubCMywO.gif

It is George Hamilton facing the culture shock of moving from the Old World into NYC's disco world.

I believe that it is nearly a requirement to love any vampire movie which opens with the theme music: "I Love the Nightlife".

The clash between his elegant and very traditional and a supermodel's "wanna smoke some sheeet" is quite telling.

Arte Johnson as his little servant is perfectly precious!

• Like 6

tv but worthy additions

salem's lot

the strain,,,,was a great take on the genre. i liked the way most of the series was devoted to treating the "vampires" or vampire-like as a disease like any disease, and the first season was the best because as people went about their normal day these skulking vampire-types moved around freely until the "disease" got out of hand. great ending too

vampire's kiss,,,nicolas cage was masterful as literary agent who thinks he's a vampire!!!! movie, not tv

dracula,,,the recent bbc version with claes bang and dolly wells - brilliant

6 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Vampires need to be stealthy & sexy, they've had decades to figure out how to charm victims....

Fact Check: TRUE!

4ea6df808509a14fd04eac65184675348adb4a97

Also like the very unsexy Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre, required viewing for film class. And Bram Stoker's Dracula from Coppola. Saw that at Mann's Chinese  Thanksgiving day on acid! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

Chris Sarandon captured it perfectly in the otherwise silly movie FRIGHT NIGHT 1985.

31da2f465d5dd760667dee950992ea0a--fright

c785d6023521ca2c6187c2cbd8a739a6.jpg

I think I have only seen CHRIS SARANDON in three(?) movies- FRIGHT NIGHT, THE PRINCESS BRIDE and DOG DAY AFTERNOON and he is UNFORGETTABLE in all three (probably gives one of the best performances of the decade in DOG DAY AFTERNOON.

I am thinking the fact that he did not have a major film career is either because he did not want one or he really burned a bridge somewhere....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I know that it is not canon but my favorite vampire movie is: Love at First Bite (1979)

ubCMywO.gif

It is George Hamilton facing the culture shock of moving from the Old World into NYC's disco world.

I believe that it is nearly a requirement to love any vampire movie which opens with the theme music: "I Love the Nightlife".

The clash between his elegant and very traditional and a supermodel's "wanna smoke some sheeet" is quite telling.

Arte Johnson as his little servant is perfectly precious!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think I have only seen CHRIS SARANDON in three(?) movies- FRIGHT NIGHT, THE PRINCESS BRIDE and DOG DAY AFTERNOON and he is UNFORGETTABLE in all three (probably gives one of the best performances of the decade in DOG DAY AFTERNOON.

He is by far the best vampire in Dog Day Afternoon.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

well worth mentioning are MEXICAN VAMPIRE MOVIES, of which some are TERRIBLE and some, like THE SLAUGHTER OF THE VAMPIRES posted in full below- are surprisingly good.

But they're always fascinating and usually have a handful of laugh out loud moments.

Something that has always caused me no end of frustration is the complete lack of continuity on what method dispatches a vampire.

For instance, in THE SLAUGHTER OF THE VAMPIRES I can't tell if the villagers are poking the thing to death or aerating a lawn.  For my money when you absolutely want to send one off to their final reward nothing works better than being impaled by a jumbo size cross like Christopher Lee.

bPzEV7c.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

Something that has always caused me no end of frustration is the complete lack of continuity on what method dispatches a vampire.

For instance, in THE SLAUGHTER OF THE VAMPIRES I can't tell if the villagers are poking the thing to death or aerating a lawn.  For my money when you absolutely want to send one off to their final reward nothing works better than being impaled by a jumbo size cross like Christopher Lee.

EXCEPT THAT TOTALLY DOESN'T WORK AT ALL!

IT JUST TURNS HIM INTO THAT RED DUST FROM INSIDE AN EGG TIMER AND ALL YOU DO IS ADD 🩸  AND BOOM: TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA (2 YEARS LATER!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

EXCEPT THAT TOTALLY DOESN'T WORK AT ALL!

IT JUST TURNS HIM INTO THAT RED DUST FROM INSIDE AN EGG TIMER AND ALL YOU DO IT ADD BLOOD AND BOOM: TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA (2 YEARS LATER!)

SEE!?!?! A total lack of continuity!.

The old wooden spike through the heart didn't work on him either, he yanked it out and threw it at the guy who pounded it in!

I continue to be a victim of disappointment.

10 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

The old wooden spike through the heart didn't work on him either, he yanked it out and threw it at the guy who pounded it in!

YEAH, that part irritates me in DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE...Also he should have killed his PRIEST LACKEY on the spot for allowing someone into the cellar hideout to kill him.

CLOVES 1 and 2 would never have pulled such nonsense!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

I'm surprised how many vampire westerns there are.

Yes, but lets remember here Moe, that NONE of 'em other than Billy the Kid versus Dracula contains what might be the greatest of all scenes in all of Vampire-themed filmdom!

Uh-huh, that oh so classic line, "Gimme that!" and THEN followed by...

• Thanks 1