Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison

butterscotchgreer

okay everyone!

here is the new thread just for Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison starring Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum....but that means, everyone has to chime in with me. ;) i cant do it by myself. heehee!

picking up where we left off.....

_Wendy!_

Oh gosh, girl, you don't need my permission! You have been here longer than I have - so I should be asking permission of you....

i know, but you were so heavily into discussion with everyone, i had to ask first.

What a great ramble, Scotchie. I was much older than eleven when I watched this one the first time, but I pouted too.... and I'll let you in on a little secret... I still wish they could get together. But then the movie wouldn't have that bittersweet feel to it.

i know! i still feel guilty saying that though, especially in front of grandmama, b/c she is very Catholic too and when i said the first time that Angela should have given up being a nun to be with him, she gave me this guilt trip look. heehee! easily understandable..i mean, its not like its The Sound of Music.....although deep down inside, i wish it were.....though don't tell grandmama that. :)

now that i'm a little older, i can see that that is what made the movie so wonderful in the first place. it made the story unpredictable.

I think that Allison needed to learn to respect women. And I think she needed to experience love and the reality of life in order to become more open and understanding.

YES! i totally agree. you could tell at first, that he had a history of womanizing, but he learned his lesson here. im not so surely about her experiencing love, but definitely the "reality of life", she did need to understand better and i think she got it by the end of their little adventure.

she was also very naive about reality in that when she wanted to give herself up to the Japonese for him to save himself, she though she would be safe and they would "respect her for her vocation and not harm her"....the look on Mr. Allison's face was priceless like he wanted to say, "Yeah right" to her.

I think he will love sister Angela forever in his heart of hearts, but in order for him to ever have a relationship with someone else or to grow as a human being she had to come into his life to show him the way. It's still heartbreaking to me the way Mitchum plays this big romantic lug. It was supposedly his favorite performance.... it's definitely mine, for both performers.

oh i think youre right. i think that because of his experience with Sister Angela, he respected all people a little more, not only women. but then again, i honestly dont think he would ever fall in love again, or at least thats how i see it. remember when he said that line about being concentrated on either the core or a family and he was fully marine, so thats what he would concentrate one for the rest of his life.

_Lynn!_

how are you dear?

I loved your post on Mr Allison but most of all, I wanted to thank you for your thoughtfulness and good manners.

why thank you! i would love for you to join in whenever you can. :)

_Dahlink April!!!!_

how was the play you saw? tell me all about it, i wanna hear about it! pretty please!

Look who the wild west wind blew in.

yeah and its still boiling hot here too. heehee!

do you have a review for us to read too? you always give such wonderful ones!

_Hey Cinie!_

Baby T.,

there you go again!

That was a wonderful ramble about a romantic movie where two people who care for each other cannot be together...whether it's b'cuz they're married as in "Brief Encounter" or have commit-

ments and duties as in "Roman Holiday" or racially as in "The World, The Flesh & The Devil" it always gets us romantics, doesn't it...when lovers or people who deeply care for each other can

not be together.

oh i love how you put that!!! i have come to really appreciate movie where two people are in love but they cant be together. although they still arent quite as good, i have to confess, as the ones where they do end up happily ever after kissing at the end of a movie.....heehee! ;) Although Mr. Allison is a close call. such a wonderful movie with lots of passion built into it!

See "The Sundowners" with Mitchum and Kerr. She does take off that nun's habit as an Aussie wife.

oh yes! i seem to remember this one as well! i haven't seen it in a long time! i dont remember a lot of it, though....i guess you have to refresh my memory.

ooooooh see!! this is so much fun!

Hi there Theresa! :)

*Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison* was a film I heard about for ages before I saw it. I didn't really know anything about it, I just kept hearing it or reading about it as a passing reference.

The thing that really attracted me to it is the whole stuck on an island thing! I know it sounds weird but I just love movies where people are stranded and cut off from the world.

Another thing was the combo of Mitchum and Kerr. I just thought hmmm. That's an interesting pairing. I eventually bought the movie. It was a little different than what I was expecting which was a more comedic film, but I was definitely drawn into the story. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I have to go by memory. (uh-oh) :)

*Their characters are so very different, which is natural, but i love to watch them talking to each other. its the perfect combination of opposites.....*

I always like Mitchum and I liked his character here. I thought he played that situation well. Kerr was a great choice for her role.

*Sister Angela is the sweet and innocent girl with a big splash of humbleness that seems to overpower Mr. Alison's usual crazy past. I really do think they wanted to understand each other. She baffled his sense of living and he helped her see a different side of life as well, being a marine with a troubled past.*

If I am remembering correctly doesn't she kind of make him humble. He found the situation confusing and of course it's Mitchum, so you can see the wheels turning, but I liked how he sort of became noble at times, and frustrated at other times, I didn't really know what to expect from his character. What would he do next? I think he drew Sister Angela outward. They did want to understand each other. The whole process was interesting. When the inevitable danger arrives I found it distracting rather than exciting on some levels because I was so interested in how their relationship was evolving.

*This part really got to me. my eyes grew really wide when he said this the first time i saw it, and they still do on occasion and then she starts crying and runs away into the rain and gets sick.....oh goodness!*

*Mr. Allison: "That's my luck. That's ol' Allison's luck. If ya gotta be a nun, why ain't ya old and ugly? Why do ya gotta have big blue eyes... and a beautiful smile... and freckles?"*

I remember that. Poor Allison was just so frustrated. I never thought she would revoke her calling, not really. That's what made the film so interesting. They couldn't go the Hollywood route of romance, they had to deal with each other on a different level. They couldn't totally deny their emotions, they had to work through them. They couldn't help being human beings, but they each had their own sense of values and duties.

Anyway, am I remembering this right? Let me know. I'll have to watch the film again soon. My memory ain't what it used to be! :)

hey larry!

loverly to hear from you! have you done anything extremely fun and exciting recently?

i loved reading your review! for a person who doesn't remember much about it, you surely talk expertly about it.

The thing that really attracted me to it is the whole stuck on an island thing! I know it sounds weird but I just love movies where people are stranded and cut off from the world.

heehee! i have seen so many of those kind of movies. i love them too!

Another thing was the combo of Mitchum and Kerr. I just thought hmmm. That's an interesting pairing. I eventually bought the movie. It was a little different than what I was expecting which was a more comedic film, but I was definitely drawn into the story.

yes, every time i see this move, i always think about the pairing of Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum versus the other co-stars in their other movies. i have actually come to really like the pairing of these two.

If I am remembering correctly doesn't she kind of make him humble. He found the situation confusing and of course it's Mitchum, so you can see the wheels turning, but I liked how he sort of became noble at times, and frustrated at other times, I didn't really know what to expect from his character. What would he do next?

his character was definitely unpredictable in personality. thats for surely. he always seems to make her blush and question the outside world in terms of a male marine. I thought her face was priceless when he told her what the marines who ate fish on Fridays were called. "Macros-snappers", i believe is the term he used....heehee! what a funny word.

I think he drew Sister Angela outward. They did want to understand each other. The whole process was interesting. When the inevitable danger arrives I found it distracting rather than exciting on some levels because I was so interested in how their relationship was evolving.

i felt the same way sometimes in the movie too! when he would go hide from the Japanese to get food or blankets or whatever the case was, i found myself wanting him to immediately go back to the cave to chat with Sister Angela again. i found their relationship so interesting in just how it evolved between them. how extraordinary!

Anyway, am I remembering this right? Let me know. I'll have to watch the film again soon. My memory ain't what it used to be!

yes, you are remembering perfectly! your memory is apparently holding up pretty well. heehee!

keep smiling!

butterscotch - this was one of our favorite movies when my brothers and sisters were kids. Back then, we thought very innocently in terms of their relationship, but it was very moving. Robert Mitchum - what can I say - a real man! and Deborah Kerr - genuine as can be.

Like molo, I haven't seen this in years, I'll be sure to catch it next time it's one.

*"his character was definitely unpredictable in personality. thats for surely. he always seems to make her blush and question the outside world in terms of a male marine. I thought her face was priceless when he told her what the marines who ate fish on Fridays were called. "Macros-snappers", i believe is the term he used....heehee! what a funny word."*

re: the above - I can tell you for a fact that it's "mackerel snappers" - it's still a funny term.

I'm sure that you would enjoy *The Sundowners* - a portrayal of the ups and downs of a loving migrant Australian family

Hi, T! You know I love this one, too. But I'm like Jackie, I want it to end differently. ;)

I like what the director shows about how people, no matter how different, come

to understand each other...when the have little choice but to do so.

I also agree with cinemafan that The Sundowners is a terrific movie, and satisfies

the desire to see these two performers as a couple.

Hey everyone! honestly, ill be on more, once my computer is fixed. i promise! im trying to find out the inner cause of the internet connection deal on my laptop, so its being dissected by daddy right now....

hey dahlink!

watchya doin'?

Hi, T! You know I love this one, too. But I'm like Jackie, I want it to end differently.

yeah. i still really want them to get together too sometimes, and then other times, im on the other side of the fence about it, which is strange for me because usually i love the sappiness and the two people kissing at the end of the movie, but for this movie, sometimes the feeling is different.......lets look at it the other way for and example....

what do you think would have happened if she had renounced the fact that she wanted to complete her vows to be a nun and said "yes" to marrying Mr. Allison? ooh, this is a fun question!

I like what the director shows about how people, no matter how different, come

to understand each other...when the have little choice but to do so.

i love this! you said it perfectly April! I think that because they gave each other a chance at understanding, they learned a lot.

>

> watchya doin'?

>

Watching Gary and Chuck on TCM, what are you doing?

>

> what do you think would have happened if she had renounced the fact that she wanted to complete her vows to be a nun and said "yes" to marrying Mr. Allison? ooh, this is a fun question!

>

Why, they'd move back to Brooklyn, he'd get a job on the docks and they'd have 10 kids! Isn't that a lovley prospect? :D:P

Another aspect of this story, to me, and your question hilights it, is that any two people can get along and understand each other and even grow to have affection for one another---regardless of how different their backgrounds---in such an isolated circumstance. But it's the world, society that will make them strangers again upon rescue. Suddenly, the differences that melted away on the island will return to the fore because other people, the way the world is, will push it on them. He'll start thinking more about himself again and his comfort zone (the Marine Corps or maybe the old neighborhood, his "kind" of people) and she'll possibly pine after the quiet and contemplation of the Church and long for her "kind" of people. None of those things meant very much on the island, they could drop a lot of the trappings and ideas they thought they needed to survive and to be happy, even.

These two people definitely love each other, they are not IN LOVE with each other, but the love is there. As she said, just before the Americans reached them on the hill, no matter where he went, no matter how far, and though they would never see each other again, she would think of him wherever she was. Although my favorite Bob Mitchum movie is *The Enemy Below*, with *Home from the Hill* a close second, Mr. Allison is how I think of him when I describe him to people who don't know him. In this movie, Mr. Allison is a real man. He protects her, he sees to her well-being, just is her general provider for food, a roof, etc., and he has real feelings for her, but he knows somehow that she is off limits. He had no contact with the Catholic church and had no way of knowing what she stood for, but some little thing in his head said loud and clear - hands off. I don't recall who directed, but whoever it was had a tight grip on emotions and character. *The Enemy Below* is also an emotional character study, but in a vastly different way.

A big favorite scene of Mr. Allison is the very end when the guys on the beach look up and see the nun coming down, holding that big cross in one hand, and handling the cigarette for Allison in the other, and you can imagine them thinking "What the *)&^( is going on here?

Anne

The great John Huston directed Mitchum in "Heaven Knows...." and Huston always had a tight rein on his films.I saw a special years ago on John Huston hosted by Mitchum and he talked about working with Huston on "Heaven...." and he gave a great impression of Huston directing Mitchum, it went something like this "OH Bob .Can You Crawl Through That Barbed Wire one more Time and boys put some more water in the ditch he crawls through. That's Swell"... "The Enemy Below" was directed by Dick Powell which Mitchum gave another excellent performance, film won an Academy Award for special effects. Powell also directed Mitchum in "The Hunters" a Korean Air Force war story about fighter pilots along with Robert Wagner.

BabyT - will you forgive me? I didn't know that you started the thread already..... I am a nincom- poop!

I love what everyone has been chiming in with here. I especially liked MissG's description of the way things change when the real world takes back over.... the relationship changes.

I do agree about the scenes when Mitchum leaves Sister Angela, you want him to fly right back - but golly, that scene where he goes to get the blankets and medicine or whatever, and is hiding from the Japanese soldier is SOOOOO suspenseful! I can't even stay sitting in my chair!

And does anyone remember - doesn't he keep her comb or something? Or do I have it backwards... I haven't seen it for so long.