Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rock Star Bios, Who's Next?

Oneeyeopen

With recent well received rock star bios, Boheimian Rhapsody, Ray, James Brown, Aretha, and in prior years La Bamba, The Buddy Holly Story, Selena, all garnered wins or nominations for the actors/actresses who took on the role. I would like to mention, Judy and the recently released Elvin movie. Who shoud be next and who should play them?

I choose a Hall & Oates bio pic, just for the music, and maybe a more indepth background on their band members who were and are still with them. I already feel that Ansel Egot would make the best Daryl Hall. He is a singer, he has the height, being 6 feet 3 inches tall and he's the right age when Hall & Oates caught fire. For John Oates, I choose Zac Efron, he's also the right height, he sings and he can rock a mustache.

Who do you think should be featured in the next Rock Star bio?

Well OEO, I'd say you might've answered to own question just by the title of your thread here! 

;)

Ya see, I'm thinkin' Keith Moon's short life story might make for a pretty interesting flick.

(...but of course now the question becomes who would play him, doesn't it...I dunno...I'll have to think about this for awhile...I'll get back to ya)

• Like 2

Hey, DARGO, you might enjoy a bio of the legendary garage band 'BLADDER PUPPY'.  Named after lead singer John Puppius, who had too-frequent urges to 'tinkle' and exploded on stage in "drip fits" (!).   🐶 😛

BLADDER PUPPY had two regional hits "The Fire Hydrant Of Your Love" -and- "Quit Sniffing my '****, Dammit!".    👍

Great songs both.  They coulda shoulda woulda had a national hit with "Eating Garbage Out Of A 12¢ Can" . . . but the label refused to support the record and subsequently lead singer Puppius was died (sic) in the meantime;  he was barking at the mailman when he caught a hairball and croaked.    😢

😏🤭

• Haha 1

How about THE RAMONES? Time has been very kind to the 3 chord punk darling slobs. Anyone could play ANY of them, they just looked & acted like sloppy teenagers. (I've been told I look like a miniature Joey Ramone)
th?id=OIP.7mDhHX8mjBK7vccfYYGmwQHaFJ&pid

I saw them play in clubs a LOT and Joey was hot for one of my girlfriends so I've spent some time with them offstage as well.  I couldn't understand WHY my gf wasn't interested in hanging out with them more than we did. She said, "Those guys are junkies"- something I had zero idea about at that age. Sheltered childhood I guess.... good thing she was looking out for our safety!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Y'know, if the OP typed with more than one eye opened he wouldn't have created the typo mentioning the recently released "ELVIN" movie.  B)

But we're not done with the "classic" or"vintage" rockers, like LITTLE RICHARD, ROY ORBISON,  GENE VINCENT  and THE EVERLY BROTHERS.  And too, what about BOB DYLAN?  And also more modern, I suggest(and insist)  somebody does a way better bio of JIMI HENDRIX than that dismal "made for TV" quality fiasco of 2000.

Sepiatone

8 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

How about THE RAMONES? Time has been very kind to the 3 chord punk darling slobs. Anyone could play ANY of them, they just looked & acted like sloppy teenagers. (I've been told I look like a miniature Joey Ramone)
th?id=OIP.7mDhHX8mjBK7vccfYYGmwQHaFJ&pid

I saw them play in clubs a LOT and Joey was hot for one of my girlfriends so I've spent some time with them offstage as well.  I couldn't understand WHY my gf wasn't interested in hanging out with them more than we did. She said, "Those guys are junkies"- something I had zero idea about at that age. Sheltered childhood I guess.... good thing she was looking out for our safety!

Love them or hate them -and if you hate them it's only because you're jealous and want to date them- the Ramones are ALWAYS a good idea. 

Not a rock star but I’ve always thought there should be a feature length movie on the life of Roberto Clemente. I’m guessing his path may be too similar to Jackie Robinsons to make it viable. BTW, today is Jackie Robinson Day in the baseball world.

RIP 21

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uncle charlie said:

Not a rock star but I’ve always thought there should be a feature length movie on the life of Roberto Clemente. I’m guessing his path may be too similar to Jackie Robinsons to make it viable. BTW, today is Jackie Robinson Day in the baseball world.

RIP 21

I think you mean Roberto Clemente day. I agree with you that Roberto Clemente life would make a great movie. I think it's a story that needs to be told since his influence is felt even to this day especially amongst Puerto Rican players. 

I love that your nickname is both a movie reference and a baseball reference. 😀

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

The Velvet Underground + Nico could make for a potentially interesting biopic.

I have seen some kind of short documentary on Nico and it was depressing. I actually think her daughter was consultant.

18 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And too, what about BOB DYLAN? 

If they made a truthful biopic about Dylan, it would be just as false as he is.  I enjoyed Dylan's music as much as the next guy but when you really look into Zimmerman's life, for the most part, you'll discover he's a grand poseur. And yes, I've seen him perform in the Rolling Thunder Revue tour. 

3 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

I have seen some kind of short documentary on Nico and it was depressing. I actually think her daughter was consultant.

If they made a truthful biopic about Dylan, it would be just as false as he is.  I enjoyed Dylan's music as much as the next guy but when you really look into Zimmerman's life, for the most part, you'll discover he's a grand poseur. And yes, I've seen him perform in the Rolling Thunder Revue tour. 

Not sure how you mean a truthful biopic would be false, though I get what you mean about being Dylan being a poseur. (He'd probably say chameleon.) I wonder if a movie based on David Hajdu's Positively 4th Street; The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina (2001) could get closer to him. Sometimes it's harder for a poseur to hide his true nature in a group than it is by him/herself. I'd probably be more interested in a biopic about Phil Ochs anyway. (Another poseur, but probably more fertile ground for a biographical film.)

On 9/15/2022 at 9:56 AM, Fausterlitz said:

The Velvet Underground + Nico could make for a potentially interesting biopic.

I have seen the film ICON itis very complete,it also  includes interviews with various people even the mother of Alain Delon the alleged father of her son,one look and you will be convinced,Delon always denied the son and it caused a deep rift between him and his mother when she decided to raise the then 2 year old,Nico was too unreliable to take care of the son. this a photo of Nico's son with Alain Delon

delon ari.jpg

3 hours ago, Tikisoo said:

A poseur?   Really?

poseur-tables3994.jpg

I knew Dylan was always skinny in his lifetime, but........    ;) 

Seriously though.  I wouldn't say a serious "poseur".  And some would say that due to his being accused of being opportunistic.  Like claiming he really wasn't a "protest" singer, just did protest songs (a few) to look good to serious protesters and for the money to be made from the songs.  But his claim is that he spoke his piece in those few songs and didn't want to beat a dead horse.  But his being an opportunist was obvious.  His original goal was to be a rock and roll performer and once arriving in New York saw the winds prevailing in the direction of a folk music craze and he jumped on that bandwagon.  Just like him going electric.  He claimed to see it as exploring new ground.  His detractors said he "sold out".  But so did some say that about GEORGE BENSON when he shifted from straight jazz to "pop"  fare like "On Broadway" etc.  But too, nobody called Benson a "poseur".  The first "biography" I read about him was actually a ghost written autobiography which was front-to-back fallacy.  Struck me he was doing it more for fun than really wishing to reveal his past.    And again; "Really"?

A "truthful"movie  about him should be "false"?  :rolleyes:  But then it wouldn't be truthful, would it?  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I loved the autobiography by Keith Richards, "Life".  Keith Richards is a founding member of the Rolling Stones.  His book shows how he grew up in difficult circumstances in England and the madness of the Rolling Stones on the road.  I also love their music.  This would make a really interesting rock star bio pic.

Life by Richards, Keith; Fox, James - 031603441X by Back Bay Books | Thriftbooks.com

I'd also love to see a rock star bio pic of Jimi Hendrix.

Or, the book "Three Dog Nightmare:  The Chuck Negron Story" is a wonderful biography of this rock stars rise to fame and fight with addition.  It would make a great rock star bio pic film.

Three Dog Nightmare: The Chuck Negron Story - 1580630405 by St. Martin's Press | Thriftbooks.com

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

But his being an opportunist was obvious.  His original goal was to be a rock and roll performer and once arriving in New York saw the winds prevailing in the direction of a folk music craze and he jumped on that bandwagon.  Just like him going electric.  He claimed to see it as exploring new ground.

I think if you explore many rock musicians/groups, you'll find the initial spark in their beginnings is- to become rich, famous & get girls. Beatlemania spurred teens for decades and many, once in a band, changed their focus from girls to actually learning & to play better. 

A perfect example is Kiss and what I like about them (certainly not the music!) is they said this from the very beginning & never bought into their own hype. Dylan, and to a lesser extent David Bowie, did develop to making some meaningful & well loved music, but panicked when confronted with success. Bowie handled publicity by becoming a "fake" person, Dylan became a brooding recluse.

Like many successful but introspective people, I think Dylan was insecure and had a tough time convincing himself he could repeat his earliest achievements. He tried to put on the face of confidence, but couldn't take criticism well, so retreated. I think this is one of the reasons he's so reclusive & mysterious, he's afraid (& rightly so) of bad publicity. 

I don't dislike Dylan or Bowie, just think they are revered more for their personas than their actual body of work.

• Like 1

Dylan always had an issue with performing in front of large crowds in dark venues.  It was claimed he preferred to see most of his audience so he could gauge their response to his performance.  Which too is why you rarely saw him on television.  He might be able to see that audience, but it was the audience he couldn't see, the one beyond the camera lens, that off-set him.   I noticed his nervous looking demeanor when he appeared on the Johnny Cash summer replacement show, and later on SNL .  He did I noticed, get over it better after he reached his 50's.

As for Dylan being revered more for his "persona" it sounds as if you suggest Nobel prize winners are also honored more for their "personas".  ;)   And the only time I recall Dylan being a recluse was after his 1966 motorcycle accident.  This is a bit long, so read it at a more leisurely opportunity.

https://groovyhistory.com/bob-dylan-motorcycle-accident-real-story/9

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Dylan always had an issue with performing in front of large crowds in dark venues.  It was claimed he preferred to see most of his audience so he could gauge their response to his performance.  Which too is why you rarely saw him on television.  He might be able to see that audience, but it was the audience he couldn't see, the one beyond the camera lens, that off-set him.   I noticed his nervous looking demeanor when he appeared on the Johnny Cash summer replacement show, and later on SNL .  He did I noticed, get over it better after he reached his 50's.

As for Dylan being revered more for his "persona" it sounds as if you suggest Nobel prize winners are also honored more for their "personas".  ;)   And the only time I recall Dylan being a recluse was after his 1966 motorcycle accident.  This is a bit long, so read it at a more leisurely opportunity.

https://groovyhistory.com/bob-dylan-motorcycle-accident-real-story/9

Sepiatone

Well, it's like I've always said here, Sepia. 

Perhaps if someone had explained to young Mr. Zimmerman before he jumped on his Triumph here, that the controls for the rear brake and the gear-shift mechanism are located down there where your feet are supposed to be placed, namely the "foot pegs"....

5x7_bob_dylan_motorcycle_motion_%C2%A9_j

...MAYBE he wouldn't have then crashed AT ALL?!!!

(...those little single-leading shoe front drum brakes  on those old British bikes back then and that you operate with your right hand, were never known to perform all that well as your sole "anchor", ya know!) ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Somehow, I'm certain that posted photo of him on his Triumph wasn't taken just before the accident.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Well, ya never know!  ;)

(...yeah, probably not, but I'm pretty sure that that IS the same bike he crashed on, anyway)

• Like 1

A bio on Sting would be interesting.     Note that most bios of rock\pop musicians focus on one key period in their life (typically when the band they were in was at its peak).

Of course any bio of Sting would and should focus on The Police,  but unlike the majority of rock\pop musicians Sting has never been stuck in one mode,  at the same time respecting the previous modes he has been in.     (and yea,  I like that he worked with jazz musicians and grew as a musician).

But such a bio might not be interesting to most people;    I.e.  a very broad bio may be less appealing to those looking for a narrow focus (e.g.  a film that is mostly about his time in,  and leading up to  the Police,   while my interest is mostly after the Police).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

A bio on Sting would be interesting. 

A cool thing about Sting is while I appreciate his innovative, early years with the Police,  others adore his later solo career music. It's pretty cool when one artist can appeal to several age groups. 

I was hanging out with some friends who had a very successful Irish Rock band back in the early to mid 80's. They played me a cassette tape of this "great, fabulous band" I just HAD to see when they came to the US on tour. They played "Roxanne". My gf & I looked at each other wondering what the hex was up with this guy's singing. Of course with time we "got" it, but so glad I had heard it early so catch them in a small bar/club venue instead of an arena. Those Irish guys also tipped me off to U2 who I saw in a small club with an audience of around 100.

• Like 2

There's never been a real biopic of Janis Joplin (THE ROSE doesn't count.)

A few years ago there were two rival productions in the works (one set to feature Michelle Williams as Janis Joplin, the other with Amy Adams in the lead), but neither one appears to be moving forward,

If we ever get a movie, I hope it re-creates this interview moment with Dick Cavett.  The two of them seem have a genuine connection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

There's never been a real biopic of Janis Joplin (THE ROSE doesn't count.)

I quite liked LITTLE GIRL BLUE from 2015 about Janis Joplin, whom I've only gained appreciation for in retrospect. Although not extensive, this doc gave me a really good feel for the major events in Janis' short life-both career & personal life. 

That brings up a good point: biopic vs documentary.

I much prefer documentaries because biopics often manipulate the story or slant the subject's personality for drama. A good documentary just presents "the facts, ma'm" and the viewer has to formulate an opinion based upon what's shown them. 

At best, every biography shows you factual incidents, but so often biopics color the already dramatic story by emphasizing the film maker's opinion.

• Like 2