Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gas prices going down


ElCid
 Share

Recommended Posts

While it's certainly down from the record high this summer, gas prices are still a little higher than last year, $3.69 vs $3.19 national average.   For comparison back in 2018, national average in September was under $3.   Can't remember the last time gas was $2.91 in these parts!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hellzapoppin said:

While it's certainly down from the record high this summer, gas prices are still a little higher than last year, $3.69 vs $3.19 national average.   For comparison back in 2018, national average in September was under $3.   Can't remember the last time gas was $2.91 in these parts!

Here in CA gas prices are still around $5.30 a gallon. 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Hellzapoppin said:

Ouch!  

Yea,  but like all prices things  are relative.   E.g.  when one compares the how much time one needs to work making the minimum wage to buy a gallon of gas,  one has to work less in CA than some other states.  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Yea,  but like all prices things  are relative.   E.g.  when one compares the how much time one needs to work making the minimum wage to buy a gallon of gas,  one has to work less in CA than some other states.  

 

Sure, but combine $5.30 a gallon with the continued inflated price of groceries and other staples, it's got to be pretty tough to make it on minimum wage. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Hellzapoppin said:

While it's certainly down from the record high this summer, gas prices are still a little higher than last year, $3.69 vs $3.19 national average.   For comparison back in 2018, national average in September was under $3.   Can't remember the last time gas was $2.91 in these parts!

The most recent last time gas was $0.99 a gallon in New York State was during the Clinton Administration (1993 to 2001)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a bit off track, but the disparity of gasoline prices puzzled me since our trip in '91 to take my Father in law to see his older brother in Laredo Texas.

They call it "Texas Tea" as if crude was more plentiful in Texas than sky, but on that trip I noticed gasoline prices were near a dollar higher than in the Detroit area.

And now we're informed that California gas prices are outrageous.  It seems wrong that the price would be higher because of the amount of affluence in one state versus any other.

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

This is a bit off track, but the disparity of gasoline prices puzzled me since our trip in '91 to take my Father in law to see his older brother in Laredo Texas.

They call it "Texas Tea" as if crude was more plentiful in Texas than sky, but on that trip I noticed gasoline prices were near a dollar higher than in the Detroit area.

And now we're informed that California gas prices are outrageous.  It seems wrong that the price would be higher because of the amount of affluence in one state versus any other.

Sepiatone

A few factors:

1) Higher prices overall for housing, food, etc. in CA means higher salaries, in general, which, in turn, result in higher prices (eventually).  It's all circular. 

2) Smog and other environmental regulations in various states (esp. CA) could mean that refining costs are higher, which results in higher gas prices.

3) Taxes.  Gas taxes vary considerably by state.  CA gas tax is nearly 60 cents per gallon.

4) Temporary shortages.  It takes just one refinery going offline or reducing capacity to affect local gas prices, which may not be reflected elsewhere.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

A few factors:

1) Higher prices overall for housing, food, etc. in CA means higher salaries, in general, which, in turn, result in higher prices (eventually).  It's all circular. 

2) Smog and other environmental regulations in various states (esp. CA) could mean that refining costs are higher, which results in higher gas prices.

3) Taxes.  Gas taxes vary considerably by state.  CA gas tax is nearly 60 cents per gallon.

4) Temporary shortages.  It takes just one refinery going offline or reducing capacity to affect local gas prices, which may not be reflected elsewhere.

Probably the greatest variable in gas prices is state gas taxes.  S,C, was notorious for decades for either having lowest gas tax or among three lowest.  And we had the roads and bridges to prove it.  It got so bad that many paving companies just stopped doing business in the state and took it elsewhere.  Now, S.C. has been gradually raising tax for last few years, but there is a shortage of companies and workers to do the paving.  As of July 1, gas tax is 28 cents per gallon.

Horry County (Myrtle Beach area) even enacted their own taxes a few years ago for road paving since the state was not doing it.

One aspect of S.C. is that about 60% of all roads are actually state roads and not county nor city.  Most city streets in S.C. are actually state roads and 90% of rest are county.  So for many decades that has placed a tremendous burden on state funds.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:wacko:

Actually what Trump said is correct as regards the purpose of the Strategic Oil Reserves.

Brian Cohen's tweet is misleading and incorrect.  The crowd is cheering because Trump alleged that Biden used the Strategic Oil Reserves for political purposes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Actually what Trump said is correct as regards the purpose of the Strategic Oil Reserves.

Brian Cohen's tweet is misleading and incorrect.  The crowd is cheering because Trump alleged that Biden used the Strategic Oil Reserves for political purposes. 

 

Explains why I couldn't find any confirmation when I Googled it.

Wonder how many reposted tweets (anything)  in the past are accurate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, hamradio said:

 

Explains why I couldn't find any confirmation when I Googled it.

Wonder how many reposted tweets (anything)  in the past are accurate.

That's why I don't think much of them and tend to avoid them, especially lately.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ElCid said:

I don't understand your point here.

In general, I feel you are very confused lately. Both James and I are agreeing with the point YOU made that the “No lie” account is not credible. I feel at this point you are just feigning ignorance to annoy others. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

In general, I feel you are very confused lately. Both James and I are agreeing with the point YOU made that the “No lie” account is not credible. I feel at this point you are just feigning ignorance to annoy others. 

I even edited my post to say "Another lie from no lie Mr. Cohen.",   adding Mr. Cohen,  to make it less confusing.      

But I see doing so didn't help!  Oh well,  some folks were born to be confused. 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...