Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Francis Fuller

gary1939

570ff6adbe47664575055c1095325c66.jpg.a8ba32236c485a9b504cd68b1ba17633.jpgThe first  of the three 'Strawberry Blonde' movies. It's hard to compete with Cagney, Carson, De Havilland & Hayworth. But, impressive performance by little known film actress Francis Fuller(not to be confused by 'Farmer').  As much as I love Olivia, I think Fuller gave a much more sympathetic edge to the character. She really was a standout. It's a shame her movie roles were so few. Very interesting lady!!

While I have a soft spot for the 1940 version of this story, I felt that the earlier film highlights the  loneliness of Biff and Amy that draws them together.  The undertone of quiet frustration and violence in Cooper's character is also well-done.  I believe that he really did want to kill his rival in the dentist's chair, whereas the broadness of Cagney's performance made me feel it was strictly for laughs.  

Probably because Miss Fuller's filmography is not that extensive, I have to admit here Gary that this might be the first time I've ever even heard of her. 

Would love to see this pre-code version of the story at some point in the future.

(...btw, it is or only me, or does she bear a strong resemblance to Maureen O'Sullivan?)