Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bachelor in Paradise, 6 PM, Sep. 16

ElCid

While not a great movie, it is a very entertaining one.  Bob Hope, Lana Turner, Janis Page, Paula Prentis.  Made in 1961 and features lots of Chrysler products.  Also the Hollywood version of suburbia of the period.

6:00 PM, Friday, Sept. 16.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ElCid said:

While not a great movie, it is a very entertaining one.  Bob Hope, Lana Turner, Janis Page, Paula Prentis.  Made in 1961 and features lots of Chrysler products.  Also the Hollywood version of suburbia of the period.

6:00 PM, Friday, Sept. 16.

Accurate, from an architecture/built environment perspective, for sure - at least Southern California's version of suburbia.  It was filmed in a real subdivision of Woodland Hills, and not a backlot.  The houses still stand today - very recognizable even after 60 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a great evocation of what's now called "mid-century modern", one of the best on film. I particularly like the extended sequence with Lana shopping at the supermarket. No Down Payment (1957) went for the same kind of suburban look and feel, but in black-and-white and you really need color to get it right. The Best of Everything (1959) got it right too, in the cars, sets and costuming.

• Like 4

I really like Bachelor in Paradise. I agree it’s not going to win any awards; but it’s entertaining. Paula Prentiss and Jim Hutton are great as the neighbors. I love Lana’s house. I think it’s her (or maybe Bob Hope? I can’t remember now) who drives the fabulous silver convertible. I also like Gidget’s dad as Lana’s boss. The scene at the grocery store with the little girl and “her husband” is pretty funny too. 

I love grocery store scenes in old movies. The prices fascinate me. Case in point, Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball spending only $128 (ish, can’t remember the exact amount) to feed 20 people in Yours Mine and Ours. I suppose it might be like $1000 now, but even that’s crazy. How much money did Lucy & Henry Fonda earn from the navy? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I can’t remember now) who drives the fabulous silver convertible.

If you're talkin' about this 1961 Dodge Polaris here, speedy...

BachelorParadise00054.jpg&ehk=GoTplPk1SS

...then pardon this gearhead here for what he's about to say, but sorry, I've always thought the 1961 full size Dodges were anything but "fabulous" looking.

Nope, they've always kind of reminded me of a big lumbering "moose" ever since they first hit the streets back when I was 9 y/o, and they still do.

(...and moose are not exactly the best lookin' creatures out there in the woods, ya know)  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

...then pardon this gearhead here for what he's about to say, but sorry, I've always thought the 1961 full size Dodges were anything but "fabulous" looking.

Nope, they've always kind of reminded me of a big lumbering "moose" ever since they first hit the streets back when I was 9 y/o, and they still do.

(...and moose are not exactly the best lookin' creatures out there in the woods, ya know)  ;) 

Watched a YouTube video yesterday on The Weird Chrysler Cars of the Early 1960's.  Supposedly it was Virgil Exner's revenge against Chrysler management for being fired.  These look better by comparison, but still not the best looking cars of Chrysler.  

• Like 1

I can't help but notice the transformation of Bob Hope's screen image in Bachelor in Paradise. In his films in the '40s he was an eager, often cowardly, character trying to win over his leading ladies. By the time of Bachelor, however, now well in his middle years, he plays a character smugly conscious of his attractiveness to the opposite sex. The women (many of them, at least) now seek to run after him. The screenplay of Bachelor in Paradise must have fed the comedian's ego considerably.

While some may appreciate the film's portrait of '60s suburbia (seeing it as a bit of a time capsule in that respect) I don't regard this as one of Hope's better films, even if it is superior to most of his films to follow in the sorry film making decade of the '60s for him.

Bob Hope's best years in the movies, for material as well as his own freshness and remarkable comic timing and delivery, were clearly in the '40s. For Hope at his best as a comedian I look to the likes of the Road films (those in the '40s), My Favourite Blonde, The Princess and the Pirate or, as late as 1952, the frequently very funny Son of Paleface.

Having said that my two favourite Hope films were his two early scare comedies, Cat and the Canary and The Ghost Breakers. Hope's screen persona was not yet set then as he played, essentially, a dapper leading man who cracked jokes in both films and was actually more courageous than he would be in his later '40s films. It was also believable, because of his credible leading man qualities, that he would eventually win the leading lady, in the case of both of these films that lady being the gorgeous Paulette Goddard. The fun thing about watching Goddard play with Hope was that she seemed to be genuinely entertained by his jokes and antics.

Paulette Goddard

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DougieB said:

It's a great evocation of what's now called "mid-century modern", one of the best on film. I particularly like the extended sequence with Lana shopping at the supermarket. No Down Payment (1957) went for the same kind of suburban look and feel, but in black-and-white and you really need color to get it right. The Best of Everything (1959) got it right too, in the cars, sets and costuming.

There was a book published in the 80s about that era of design and decor in post-war suburbia, called Populuxe. I bought a copy for my sister who worked in the fashion industry and was very knowledgeable about the styles of different eras. I wish I'd gotten one for myself. You might appreciate it. 

51H5txkKbNL._SL500_.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I can't help but notice the transformation of Bob Hope's screen image in Bachelor in Paradise. In his films in the '40s he was an eager, often cowardly, character trying to win over his leading ladies. By the time of Bachelor, however, now well in his middle years, he plays a character smugly conscious of his attractiveness to the opposite sex. The women (many of them, at least) now seek to run after him. The screenplay of Bachelor in Paradise must have fed the comedian's ego considerably.

While some may appreciate the film's portrait of '60s suburbia (seeing it as a bit of a time capsule in that respect) I don't regard this as one of Hope's better films, even if it is superior to most of his films to follow in the sorry film making decade of the '60s for him.

Bob Hope's best years in the movies, for material as well as his own freshness and remarkable comic timing and delivery, were clearly in the '40s. For Hope at his best as a comedian I look to the likes of the Road films (those in the '40s), My Favourite Blonde, The Princess and the Pirate or, as late as 1952, the frequently very funny Son of Paleface.

Having said that my two favourite Hope films were his two early scare comedies, Cat and the Canary and The Ghost Breakers. Hope's screen persona was not yet set then as he played, essentially, a dapper leading man who cracked jokes in both films and was actually more courageous than he would be in his later '40s films. It was also believable, because of his credible leading man qualities, that he would eventually win the leading lady, in the case of both of these films that lady being the gorgeous Paulette Goddard. The fun thing about watching Goddard play with Hope was that she seemed to be genuinely entertained by his jokes and antics.

Bachelor in Paradise is my favorite Hope movie because of the way it all comes together.   My other enjoyable Hope movies are The Ghost Breakers, The Lemon Drop Kid and My Favorite Brunette.  Have two DVD sets and a total of 16 Hope movie, but these are the only ones I ever re-watch.

27 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Bachelor in Paradise is my favorite Hope movie because of the way it all comes together.   My other enjoyable Hope movies are The Ghost Breakers, The Lemon Drop Kid and My Favorite Brunette.  Have two DVD sets and a total of 16 Hope movie, but these are the only ones I ever re-watch.

My Favourite Brunette is definitely Hope in his prime as a performer, in my opinion. I like The Lemon Drop Kid, as well, much more than his other Ruyanesue comedy, Sorrowful Jones.

By the way, Bob Hope's biggest box office hit was The Paleface in 1948.

• Thanks 2

This has always been my favourite scene in The Lemon Drop Kid. Marilyn Maxwell and Hope were more than friends for a number of years.  According to Arthur Marx's biography of Hope the comedian was surprised to one day find someone hiding in Maxwell's apartment when he paid her an unexpected visit - Jimmy Durante.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

This has always been my favourite scene in The Lemon Drop Kid. Marilyn Maxwell and Hope were more than friends for a number of years.  According to Arthur Marx's biography of Hope the comedian was surprised to one day find someone hiding in Maxwell's apartment when he paid her an unexpected visit - Jimmy Durante.

Plus William Frawley doing his Fred Mertz/Uncle Bub imitation...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

I just liked the color.  Lol

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DougieB said:

It's a great evocation of what's now called "mid-century modern", one of the best on film. I particularly like the extended sequence with Lana shopping at the supermarket. 

What on earth do they need all that salt for?!?!

1db9b7360898ce49d7d21dbae1d546e1--lana-t

Bachelor in Paradise is a favorite. Love that mid 60s style and scenery. But mostly because of the beanstalk neighbor. Meow WOW!

1118full-paula-prentiss.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

What on earth do they need all that salt for?!?!

1db9b7360898ce49d7d21dbae1d546e1--lana-t

Bachelor in Paradise is a favorite. Love that mid 60s style and scenery. But mostly because of the beanstalk neighbor. Meow WOW!

That's like a 3 year supply for me.   Bob's stocking up on oatmeal too.

How much time do you reckon Lana and Bob spent in real supermarkets?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

That's like a 3 year supply for me.   Bob's stocking up on oatmeal too.

How much time do you reckon Lana and Bob spent in real supermarkets?

Bob representing the Root Beer front and center in his cart. Product Placement FTW!

il_570xN.2804788602_iej0.jpg

Anyone remember Bob Hope comic books? I collected a number of them as a kid. The stories often reflected his movies, with Hope, for example, getting mixed up with secret agents and beautiful women. There were 109 issues, running from 1950 to 1968.

Adventures of Bob Hope 93 1965 Comic Book - Etsy Canada  THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE #107 in FN/VF a 1967 Silver Age DC comic NEAL  ADAMS | eBay  Values for Adventures Of Bob Hope | ComicsPriceGuide.com | Free Comic Book  Price Guide

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

Bob representing the Root Beer front and center in his cart. Product Placement FTW!

Word is this is the very reason Joan Crawford refused a part in this picture when it was offered to her. 

70brpepsi12.jpg

;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

I never noticed the product placement (other than all the cars) in the film.  It didn't stick out to me like Quaker Oats did in Please Don't Eat the Daisies.  Seems like there was a lot of experimentation with product placement in the early 60s, I'd imagine due to the amount of red ink on the balance sheets at most studios at the time.  Studio rentals for TV production was about the only thing consistently bringing in money back then.

That's not the most flattering picture of Bob I've seen.  You'd think the ad agency would have demanded a retake (if not Old Ski-Nose himself).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Word is this is the very reason Joan Crawford refused a part in this picture when it was offered to her. 

70brpepsi12.jpg

;)

Thanks to her husband, she was on the board for Pepsi Cola.

Thank God, she was not in Bachelor in Paradise.

19 hours ago, TomJH said:

A now Christmas favorite song that was actually premiered in the movie. 

On 9/17/2022 at 9:53 AM, LuckyDan said:

There was a book published in the 80s about that era of design and decor in post-war suburbia, called Populuxe. I bought a copy for my sister who worked in the fashion industry and was very knowledgeable about the styles of different eras. I wish I'd gotten one for myself. You might appreciate it. 

51H5txkKbNL._SL500_.jpg

Yes! Thanks. I have it. Back in the 70's you could get old Life Magazines from the 50's for practically nothing at yard sales and I'd tear out all the car ads and the refrigerator ads. (And the "I dreamed I..... in my Maidenform bra" series, probably the nuttiest thing to ever come out of Madison Avenue.) Even then I loved the over-the-top approach of the advertising industry in the 1950's. Back in the early days of the National Lampoon illustrator Bruce Mc Call did some great parodies of that style, particularly The Bulgemobile, a huge auto with ginormous fins and a comparatively tiny person behind the wheel.

• Like 1