Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Henry Silva - last surviving member of original 'Oceans Eleven' has died @ 95

cinecrazydc

Henry Silva, last surviving star of original 'Ocean's Eleven,' has died at 95

The New York native dropped out of school as a teenager in the 1940s before going on to more than 100 film roles

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Listen to this article

0:00 / 2:20
1X
BeyondWords

Henry Silva, the rough and tough actor with more than 100 film appearances, died this week. He was 95.

Silva, known for his roles in "The Manchurian Candidate" and "Ocean's Eleven," among many others, died at the Motion Picture and Television Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills, CA, on Wednesday, a family member confirmed.

Scott Silva, Henry’s son, told Variety his father passed away of natural causes.

• Gary Busey and Henry Silva
    next
    Image 1 of 2

Actors Gary Busey, left, and Henry Silva at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, CA, on March 25, 2001.  (Getty Images)

The Hollywood "heavy" starred alongside some of the best in the industry as his prolific acting and tough look led him into major roles spanning decades.

PAT SAJAK REVEALS HE MAY LEAVE ‘WHEEL OF FORTUNE’ AFTER SEASON 40: ‘END IS NEAR’

Promotional portrait of the cast of the film, "Oceans Eleven," left to right: Richard Conte, Buddy Lester, Joey Bishop, Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Peter Lawford, Akim Tamiroff, Richard Benedict, Henry Silva, Norman Fell, and Clem Harvey. 

Promotional portrait of the cast of the film, "Oceans Eleven," left to right: Richard Conte, Buddy Lester, Joey Bishop, Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Peter Lawford, Akim Tamiroff, Richard Benedict, Henry Silva, Norman Fell, and Clem Harvey.  (Warner Bros./Getty Images)

The actor starred in "Ocean’s Eleven" alongside Dean Martin, whose daughter initially announced Silva’s death in a statement praising his talent.

"Our hearts are broken at the loss of our dear friend Henry Silva, one of the nicest, kindest and most talented men I’ve had the pleasure of calling my friend," Deana Martin tweeted. "He was the last surviving star of the original Oceans 11 Movie."

MISSING CALIFORNIA WOMAN FOUND DEAD; CHLOE THE DOG FOUND SAFE AND REUNITED WITH FAMILY FOLLOWING MAJOR STORM

The New York native dropped out of school as a teenager in the 1940s, but was accepted into the Actors Studio and went on to an illustrious acting career in the United States and Europe.

Silva’s breakthrough role came in the 1950s when he starred as a drug dealer in "A Hatful of Rain" before joining two of Frank Sinatra's iconic movies in the following decade: "Ocean's Eleven" and "The Manchurian Candidate." He also starred in 1963’s "Johnny Cool," and 1965’s "The Return of Mr. Moto."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Silva’s 1970s were even busier as he scored prominent roles in "Milan Caliber 9" (1972), "Manhunt" (1972) and "The Boss" (1973), as well as European titles including "Cry of a Prostitute," Umberto Lenzi’s "Almost Human," "Manhunt in the City" and "Free Hand for a Tough Cop," "Weapons of Death" and1979’s "Crimebusters," Variety reported.

In the 1980s, he made appearances with Burt Reynolds in "Sharky’s Machine" (1981), Chuck Norris in "Code of Silence" (1985), and Steven Seagal in "Above the Law" (1988).

• Chuck Norris and Henry Silva
    next
    Image 1 of 2

American actor Chuck Norris talking to American actor Henry Silva in the film Code of Silence. 1985 (Mondadori via Getty Images)

Silva’s final film appearance was the 2001 remake of "Ocean’s Eleven," in which he had a cameo. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

RIP  - I liked him in The Manchurian Candidate, The Bravados, Viva Zapata!, The Tall T, Ocean's Eleven

Yea,  Henry Silva was good in those films playing many different type of characters.

His T.V. roles  were numerous. 

Too bad that his staring role in Johnny Cool falls flat due to lack direction.     

Elizabeth Montgomery and Henry Silva in “Johnny Cool “, 1963. - 9GAG

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Yea,  Henry Silva was good in those films playing many different type of characters.

His T.V. roles  were numerous. 

Too bad that his staring role in Johnny Cool fall flat due to lack direction.     

Elizabeth Montgomery and Henry Silva in “Johnny Cool “, 1963. - 9GAG

"Hug me, Stupid.."

Love it.

I first saw him in Cinderfella. I was always struck by how distinctive he was in appearance.

(Warning: This scene contains a depiction of attempted smoking.)

I also always thought he and Michelle Lee could pass for siblings.

michelle-lee-670x405.jpg

4 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I first saw him in Cinderfella. I was always struck by how distinctive he was in appearance.

Yes.  At least in this scene, he looks almost to have some partial Native American or Inuit background, but apparently that's not the case.

It took me a moment to realize this clip was dubbed into French! (When Silva's character says "Allume(z)-moi," Lewis seems to say "one-two-three" in English.)  I wonder whether there was a particular French actor who regularly dubbed Lewis in films (which at least in France would have been a highly-sought-after gig).

I also like that the French title means "Bigfoot Cinderella."  😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Yes.  At least in this scene, he looks almost to have some partial Native American or Inuit background, but apparently that's not the case.

It took me a moment to realize this clip was dubbed into French! (When Silva's character says "Allume(z)-moi," Lewis seems to say "one-two-three" in English.)  I wonder whether there was a particular French actor who regularly dubbed Lewis in films (which at least in France would have been a highly-sought-after gig).

I also like that the French title means "Bigfoot Cinderella."  😉

I chose that clip because the one available in English was very washed-out looking. 

I think Jerry spoke a little French. I assumed he did his own dubbing. Perfectionist that he was. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Henry Silva played a Native American on Wagon Train and he looked the part (way more so than a lot of other non-Native Americans that have played similar parts on the show).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jameselliot said:

The Italians loved him. "Funny thing,” he said, “over here they see me as a bad guy; in Europe they see me as a hero.” 

His favorite movie was Johnny Cool. 

Was he talking about the roles he was offered here versus in Italy? 

16 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

(Warning: This scene contains a depiction of attempted smoking.)

I also always thought he and Michelle Lee could pass for siblings.

michelle-lee-670x405.jpg

joseph wiseman