Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Books about Garbo?

lpetiti

Hello everyone! I've recently become more interested in the silents and early talkies, which is a time period in Hollywood I know less about. Though I haven't seen many of her films (except Grand Hotel and Queen Christina), I have become fascinated with Garbo. 

Given how reclusive she was, I imagine there's not too much information about her; in fact I seem to recall in the Moguls and Movie Stars doc TCM did, one of the historians mentioned that she disappeared for almost a year for "unknown reasons", though I can speculate...

Would anyone have any good recommendations for bios about Garbo? 

1 hour ago, lpetiti said:

Hello everyone! I've recently become more interested in the silents and early talkies, which is a time period in Hollywood I know less about. Though I haven't seen many of her films (except Grand Hotel and Queen Christina), I have become fascinated with Garbo. 

Given how reclusive she was, I imagine there's not too much information about her; in fact I seem to recall in the Moguls and Movie Stars doc TCM did, one of the historians mentioned that she disappeared for almost a year for "unknown reasons", though I can speculate...

Would anyone have any good recommendations for bios about Garbo? 

I have the book Garbo - A Portrait by Alexander Walker   -  Authorized by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

It is a very good book that covers Garbo's life as an actor and the films  she was in,  as well as her private life.

It has 3 main sections: Greta Gustafsson 1905 - 1925.     The MGM Years 1925 - 1941.     And,  Alone at Last.

There is also;  Notes to the Text,    Filmography,   Bibliography,  Index and Illustration Sources.

I haven't picked it up in a few years,  so I think I'm going to catch up on some Greta!

• Like 1

I think I've read just about every book published about her. But most were years ago and I've forgotten the titles. There were some nice photo books of her. Several of which I own. But many are out of print (like the original 4 Fabulous Faces, which I own). Interestingly. there were 2 new books about her that came out this year. Both semi-biographies worth reading (not lengthy or in depth). I was surprised to learn new information in both I hadn't known before.  Probably the best in depth bio is the one published after her death in the 90s. I think it was by a woman named Swenson? (I'd have to look it up). Probably out of print now, but some libraries might have it.

One of the recent books was called The Savvy Sphinx. Can't remember the other title. (It may have been just Garbo).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I have the book Garbo - A Portrait by Alexander Walker   -  Authorized by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

It is a very good book that covers Garbo's life as an actor and the films  she was in,  as well as her private life.

It has 3 main sections: Greta Gustafsson 1905 - 1925.     The MGM Years 1925 - 1941.     And,  Alone at Last.

There is also;  Notes to the Text,    Filmography,   Bibliography,  Index and Illustration Sources.

I haven't picked it up in a few years,  so I think I'm going to catch up on some Greta!

Thank you! I'll add that to my list. 

2  books on Garbo came out in late 2021 ,the last one not mentioned here is by Garbo historian Robert Gottlieb  isbn  978037429835,I bought it when it came out,Ihave seen it heavily discounted recently,it  wpuld be a good purchase 425 some pages,it is excellent.simply titled 'Garbo'.

11 hours ago, nakano said:

2  books on Garbo came out in late 2021 ,the last one not mentioned here is by Garbo historian Robert Gottlieb  isbn  978037429835,I bought it when it came out,Ihave seen it heavily discounted recently,it  wpuld be a good purchase 425 some pages,it is excellent.simply titled 'Garbo'.

Yes, that's the other book I couldn't remember. Both books are good.

I have and enjoyed the Barry Paris (excellent writer, imo) book from 1995, I also own and recommend the Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies edition of "Great Garbo" by Richard Corliss from 1974. Own but have yet to read an early bio by John Bainbridge simply titled, "Garbo". My copy is from 1971

I recently read Cecil Beaton's Diaries Of The 40's (recommended by those on this this board) and was surprised it was mostly about his relationship with Garbo. I thought he did a great job of describing her & her lifestyle from a personal point of view-so different than a biographer. The facts of her life are well documented, this was more in depth about Greta the person, which was far more intriguing.

Greta-Garbo-Cecil-Beaton.jpg

He took lots of great photos of her in her apartment -

tumblr_ow8iqyPNqF1vw9qr8o1_1280.jpg

Obviously fake eyelashes, don't tell me she didn't care about her image.

I'm now reading a book about Chateau Marmont which is spotty & inconsistent, but there was a bit of a blurb about sometime resident, "Miss Brown".