Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

November 2022 Schedule Posted, James Mason is Star of the Month

cmovieviewer

I got all excited when I saw TCM is finally reshowing Prehistoric Women (1967), a fun and extremely silly Hammer epic about a tribe of women deep in the jungle in which the brunette centerfolds enslave the blonde centerfolds. Naturally, a man gets in the middle. From what I understand the movie recycled a lot of the sets and costumes from the Hammer production of One Million B.C. Not as good as When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970), another Hammer using centerfolds which was redeemed by very decent monster effects.

On a more serious note, they're reshowing Bertrand Tavernier's My Journey Through French Cinema (2016). It's over three hours, but it's a treasure trove.

Also, both Boys in the Band (1970) and (a premiere?) Brokeback Mountain (2005). Not sure if they're aligned to a theme, but they're both there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No Reckless Moment with JOAN BENNETT who looks to be shut out for ANOTHER year for her first SOTM nod! :(

The Reckless Moment (1949) was Joan's first mother role (of at least teens),   starting a new era for Joan.    Joan was 39 when this film was made.

A very good noir film with fine performances all around.    

The next film Joan was in was Father of the Bride where Liz Taylor played her daughter.

The Reckless Moment - Trailers From Hell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noted there is a "Tribute to James Caan" for an evening and the 3 movies scheduled so far are THE RAIN PEOPLE (1969), FREEBIE AND THE BEAN (1974) and SLITHER (1973).

SLITHER also starred Sally Kellerman, who also died earlier this year.  Maybe the 4th James Caan movie, which is still 'TBA' will be THE GAMBLER (1974) which co-starred Paul Sorvino who also passed away recently.  Just a thought. 

2 Tributes for the Price of 1 movie . . . except THE GAMBLER is a Paramount movie and Paramount does have its own network now so I dunno. 

TCM is also showing the 1970 Western THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE (1970) and I noted that 2 of the actors who feature in that film also died this year:  DAVID WARNER and L.Q. JONES. 

3 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

Maybe it's just my imagination but it looks like November features more than the usual number of post-1960 movies.

Here are some numbers to consider.  These are the title counts by decade for the last 3 months:

Decade     September         per cent           October         per cent        November         per cent
1890 0 0.00   0 0.00   0 0.00
1900 0 0.00   0 0.00   1 0.29
1910 3 0.64   2 0.44   2 0.58
1920 23 4.87   11 2.42   9 2.62
1930 113 23.94   91 20.04   64 18.60
1940 144 30.51   104 22.91   93 27.03
1950 72 15.25   84 18.50   86 25.00
1960 64 13.56   73 16.08   49 14.24
1970 23 4.87   55 12.11   19 5.52
1980 15 3.18   12 2.64   13 3.78
1990 1 0.21   10 2.20   3 0.87
2000 5 1.06   4 0.88   1 0.29
2010 6 1.27   3 0.66   1 0.29
2020 3 0.64   5 1.10   3 0.87
              all 472     454     344  

- There are a few repeats each month that are counted more than once.
- A few shorts and cartoons that are listed on the schedule each month are included.
- November totals are incomplete since only a partial schedule has been posted so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Usually when people talk about how the decades are represented in the schedule they are practicing a form of post-code phobia.

There's always going to be a high number of films from the 30s, 40s and 50s because TCM knows that Bette Davis, Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn films are their bread and butter. 

What people should be looking at is the number of premieres from those decades, meaning TCM is going outside its library to introduce viewers to more classics from Paramount, Universal and 20th Century Fox.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hibi said:

No Reckless Moment with JOAN BENNETT who looks to be shut out for ANOTHER year for her first SOTM nod! :(

It's a great film. I saw it on one of those rare TCM airings years ago around late 2013/early 2014, and was very impressed by it. Wouldn't mind seeing it again. Beautiful acting from Bennett and Mason. Strong scripting too.

I recall , although I did not see it, there was a loose  independent film remake of it in 2001 called The Deep End. In the remake, the daughter was changed into a gay son, and to get the R rating they wanted, the blackmail evidence was a sex tape. Tilda Swinton played the old Joan Bennett role, and was up for a Golden Globe for it.

18 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I noted there is a "Tribute to James Caan" for an evening and the 3 movies scheduled so far are THE RAIN PEOPLE (1969), FREEBIE AND THE BEAN (1974) and SLITHER (1973).

SLITHER also starred Sally Kellerman, who also died earlier this year.  Maybe the 4th James Caan movie, which is still 'TBA' will be THE GAMBLER (1974) which co-starred Paul Sorvino who also passed away recently.  Just a thought. 

2 Tributes for the Price of 1 movie . . . except THE GAMBLER is a Paramount movie and Paramount does have its own network now so I dunno. 

TCM is also showing the 1970 Western THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE (1970) and I noted that 2 of the actors who feature in that film also died this year:  DAVID WARNER and L.Q. JONES. 

If I am remembering correctly, TCM showed The Gambler not too long ago, within the last few months. While Paramount titles do not pop up very often on TCM, they are showing up more frequently than they were even 5 years ago, so I see no reason why it can't turn up again.

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Usually when people talk about how the decades are represented in the schedule they are practicing a form of post-code phobia.

There's always going to be a high number of films from the 30s, 40s and 50s because TCM knows that Bette Davis, Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn films are their bread and butter. 

What people should be looking at is the number of premieres from those decades, meaning TCM is going outside its library to introduce viewers to more classics from Paramount, Universal and 20th Century Fox.

Regarding the post-code phobia, I think for many here its fear that TCM would go down the path of AMC. It's been 20 years almost to the day since AMC changed their format, but it still stings for many, especially since AMC showed many Fox,  Paramount and Universal titles that rarely air on TCM, and some have not shown up at all.

Has TCM really changed? It has, a bit. Most of the post-code films tend to air now in the prime time or late night hours, or on weekend afternoons. It used to be that most of them turned up mostly in late night hours, so they are more visible now. There are also some films that appear on TCM , it seems,  to keep the channel away from certain online controversies.  However, daytime is still mostly classic era and that has not changed.

My first experiences with TCM were in the early 2010s for about two and a half years,  before getting it back in 2017. One major difference between the two times was the amount of films from outside the core Turner library. These days, we see a renewed focus on Turner titles, with many of the other films coming from MGM controlled companies like UA, Eagle-Lion, or AIP. There are the occasional well-known Paramount , Fox, and Columbia titles as well. And there is a sizable section of Criterion/Janus titles (largely due to the connection between the two on the short-lived FilmStruck.) and quite a few public-domain/ tiny company titles.

But, around a decade ago even (2011-2014, my first round for the channel), things were different. Turner titles were the bread and butter, and Post-1950 Paramount titles were exceedingly rare, but the atmosphere was a bit electric due to this massive influx of Fox titles. Many of these Fox titles were shown relatively frequently at this time, others aired only once or twice. But there were many of them, and they were so frequent that some were complaining not of the umpteenth screening of North by Northwest, but the umpteenth screening of Laura.

There were some rarer UA titles as well, and some have not turned up on TCM much since.

I also recall back then  there were many more Columbia titles. We still get some of them, especially Lawrence of Arabia. But titles like The Reckless Moment, or others like The Member of the Wedding and Autumn Leaves all but disappeared.

TCM had a contract dating back to 1994 with Columbia to not only show the big titles, but also many of the rare Columbia titles, B-films and lesser known A-films, and I think it expired around the end of 2014. The result is that many Columbia titles from the 30s through the early 70s have never been seen on TV again. Aside from a brief stint when many of these titles popped up on Amazon Prime (from the 30s through the early 90s) for about a year, most of these titles have entirely vanished.

So, yes, many of the films that were on 10 years ago are missed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I wish TCM would feature more Columbia films from the 30s that featured Jean Arthur.      TCM does show the "hits" like Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, and You Can't Take it With You and other Capra films,   but not gems like If You Could  Only Cook,  The Public Menace, or The Most Precious Thing in Life.

• Like 3

James Mason is very talented and I'm excited to see his films in November for Star of the Month.  For me, his performance as the struggling alcoholic in "A Star is Born" is unforgettable.  He could also play the suave, sexy, no-good characters as well.  I loved him in "North by Northwest" and "Lolita".  I noticed that the film "Odd Man Out" with James Mason is playing in November.  I haven't seen this film and will definitely check it out.  "Odd Man Out" is directed by the amazing Carol Reed.

image.jpeg.591d5d85c583be38f9c9c6d542760191.jpeg     "North by Northwest", (1959) starring Cary Grant, Martin Landau and James  Mason | North by northwest, Classic movies scenes, Hitchcock film    image.jpeg.cdf8ccd5b092751426e0016e3291cd77.jpeg     image.jpeg.89d64e6ac2d11336a678965651cb6181.jpeg

JAMES MASON was in enough movies for him to a SOTM for November and December. 

He even made some Italian crime films in the '70s, believe it or not.  3 of 'em. 

(Paura in città / La città sconvolta: caccia spietata ai rapitori / La polizia interviene:  ordine di uccidere) + one Italo-drama with Jennifer O'Neill.

Mason's 'favorite' bad movie was Kill in 1971 I think , It was directed by author Romain Gary, Mason said it during a visit guesting on The Tonight Show with Carson, he had to pay for his very acrimonious divorce , in the early 70's he was doing anything.