Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help me to understand....

YabbaDabba

42 minutes ago, YabbaDabba said:

I can appreciate a good Madonna movie.  Not sure any of them are classic save Desperately Seeking Susan , maybe Evita.   But of all the Madonna movies... Who's That Girl?   Really?   Age doesn't make it a classic.

Yeah, but that title song went straight to No. 1 in the summer of 1987.

• Like 1

It's a Warner Brothers film and is in the Turner Library.  So it is their go-to Madonna movie. When she dies, they will air it again as if it's the best example of her work in motion pictures. But really her best filmed performances are: 

TRUTH OR DARE (1991)
A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN (1992)
EVITA (1996)

And of course, she should be remembered for her contribution to the title track of DIE ANOTHER DAY (2002):

• Thanks 1

MADONNA has a small part in the coming-of-age drama, '80s style, VISION QUEST (1985).  

In the UK, this movie was re-titled CRAZY FOR YOU which I believe is the song Madonna sings in the nightclub during her short scene.   I guess someone in power at Warner decided a title change would be bigger box office in Jolly Olde England.

ALSO:  The song "Live To Tell" is from the 1986 movie AT CLOSE RANGE if I'm not mistaken (I have not cheated and looked it up prior to typing out this post!). 

AT CLOSE RANGE starred Christopher Walken and Chris Penn and was based on a true story of a crime family from Pennsylvania in the late '70s.  

19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It's a Warner Brothers film and is in the Turner Library.  So it is their go-to Madonna movie. When she dies, they will air it again as if it's the best example of her work in motion pictures. But really her best filmed performances are: 

TRUTH OR DARE (1991)
EVITA (1996)

And of course, she should be remembered for her contribution to the title track of DIE ANOTHER DAY (2002):

Not sure i'd call a documentary one of her best performances, although i'll agree it's probably one of better film given her acting roles aren't very good.  Supposedly she lost out of playing Whitney Houston's role in The Bodyguard for sticking her finder down her throat  to Kevin Costner behind his back in Truth or Dare.

15 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Not sure i'd call a documentary one of her best performances, although i'll agree it's probably one of better film given her acting roles aren't very good.  Supposedly she lost out of playing Whitney Houston's role in The Bodyguard for sticking her finder down her throat  to Kevin Costner behind his back in Truth or Dare.

The reason I say TRUTH OR DARE contains one of her best performances is because it is a highly artificial "documentary" in which she is playing herself and playing the audience for suckers. The scene where she goes to her mother's grave is probably the most phony staged thing I have ever seen in a nonfiction film...but she pulls it off because she's Madonna and people think they are learning more about her and getting closer to the real Madonna, when in reality, they are not. She does use the skills of an actress to manipulate viewers in her music videos as well as in this backstage slice-of-life documentary. TRUTH OR DARE is a farce with music.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2022 at 6:38 PM, TopBilled said:

TRUTH OR DARE (1991)
EVITA (1996)

And be fair, she was one of the highlights of Dick Tracy (1990). even if director Warren Beatty's weird preoccupation with languid musical montages (and Stephen Sondheim ones at that) didn't quite jibe with retro 30's-serial action:

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 9:26 PM, Sukhov said:

Also have to add I never liked Evita because it glamorizes Fascism.

I never saw it, but I'm betting the rent that it only glamorized Eva Peron.  

You know, if a musical was made about Adolf Hitler( forget all about Mel Brooks ;) ) it would only focus on Hitler and his life and not intend to "glamorize" his politics. 

Sepiatone

23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The reason I say TRUTH OR DARE contains one of her best performances is because it is a highly artificial "documentary" in which she is playing herself and playing the audience for suckers. The scene where she goes to her mother's grave is probably the most phony staged thing I have ever seen in a nonfiction film...but she pulls it off because she's Madonna and people think they are learning more about her and getting closer to the real Madonna, when in reality, they are not. She does use the skills of an actress to manipulate viewers in her music videos as well as in this backstage slice-of-life documentary. TRUTH OR DARE is a farce with music.

Interesting take. The impression I got was it was a fairly accurate portrayal of a phony snot. In other words, she didn't have to act at all.

At least in Who's That Girl, she IS acting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I never saw it, but I'm betting the rent that it only glamorized Eva Peron.  

In the musical, Eva is (not unlike Madonna) a ruthlessly ambitious entertainment wannabe who wanted to escape her humble roots, and ends up too deep in Argentinian politics when she works her way up the ladder to be romanced by a dictator, but can't let go of the people's cult-like devotion to their dream-image of her, and served as the manipulative velvet glove against the people to Juan's iron fist.  Even when she realizes what she sold to get, don't cry for her, Argentina...

It's a good musical (Alan Parker gave us "Bugsy Malone", "Fame", "The Commitments" and "Pink Floyd: the Wall" after all), even if it's a little too "real-world" compared to Rob Marshall's mix of real and abstract in Chicago and Nine.  Think more in the style of Tom Hooper's "Les Miserables" movie, and not that....other musical he did.

• Like 2