Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Could Cabin In The Sky have been The Wizard Of Oz?

gary1939

Watched Cabin In The Sky AGAIN last night. Never tire of it. Always love it! So...since MGM used the Tornado footage from Wizard in the climatic 'nightclub scene...I would've loved to see the dream sequence (basically almost the entire movie) done in Technicolor ala Wizard. It's such a beautifully made fantasy film with such a  strong theme...I wonder if it would have elevated this already artistic film to 'Oz' heights and popularity with the aid of Technicolor. Side note: I love the story, if true, that on the first day of shooting word was issued that the all-talented African American cast was not allowed to lunch in the MGM commissary. When Louis B Mayer heard this, he was outraged and the next day... and going forward through the production... the entire cast would eat in the commissary.  

MV5BMTk2NjMwODU3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzAyNzc5MDI@._V1_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, gary1939 said:

I wonder if it would have elevated this already artistic film to 'Oz' heights and popularity with the aid of Technicolor.

I like this idea!

Like you, I am a huge fan of Cabin In The Sky-it's one of the first films I will show as an introduction to classic film when they tell me they can't stand musicals. (Singin' In The Rain is the other) Those newly discovering classic film have a reluctance for b&w movies, so yes, I do think more people would be interested if it had been filmed in Technicolor. (but please DON'T "colorize" it!)

Love, love, love Ethel Waters....not enough movies with her in them.

• Like 2