Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Constance Bennett Rocks The House!!! This Thursday, October 22!!!

markbeckuaf

Constance Bennett is going to be featured in a 3 film min-thon this Thursday morning, Oct 22, starting at 6:30AM EST!

6:30AM Sin Takes A Holiday (1932)

A stenographer tries to save her boss from his divorcee girlfriend. Cast: Constance Bennett, Kenneth MacKenna, Basil Rathbone. Dir: Paul L. Stein. BW-80 mins, TV-G

8:00 AM Bed Of Roses (1933)

A girl from the wrong side of the tracks is torn between true love and a life of sin . Cast: Constance Bennett, Joel McCrea, Pert Kelton. Dir: Gregory La Cava. BW-67 mins, TV-G

9:15 AM Merrily We Live (1938)

A society matron's habit of hiring ex-cons and hobos as servants leads to romance for her daughter. Cast: Constance Bennett, Brian Aherne, Billie Burke. Dir: Norman Z. McLeod. BW-95 mins, TV-G

Hot stuff!!

Hi Mark -

I was wondering what was going to catch your fancy after the "historic" Wheeler & Woolsey fest the other night. I feared you wandering aimlessly, lost in the darkness like these guys, searching for a thrill.

4022008531_c49b9743a6_o.jpg

I was expecting it to be the All-Day Karloff festival on the "far off" 30th of the month. Or the final night of the "Grest Depression" series on the 29th. (Didn't you once praise *The Match King* in here?)

So I am happy to know there's something to keep you groovin' before October is in its final days.

4022769110_2ea82fd53c.jpg

4022769784_989f2c84df.jpg

As you said, "Hot stuff!".

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Oct 18, 2009 8:56 AM

Hey, Mark-o ....! Have you read THE BENNETS: AN ACTING FAMILY by Brian Kellow? Starts in 1870 with dad Richard and ends in 1990 with Joan's death. Lots on Connie, of course. It was published in '04...and kudos to the University Press of Kentucky for publishing a beautiful, 500-page tome on a quartet (dad, Joan, Connie and Barbara) who are not exactly household names anymore.

Edited by: ArchieCarstairs on Oct 18, 2009 12:26 PM

Kyle, my man, thank you for the thoughts and the photos!!!! Very cool!! :)

Yeah, I'm more than fine, with Constance (who is WAY more than fine!!!!) coming up, and you can betcha I'm in the house with Boris and with the remaining Depression days, along with those early morning horrors---Bela this coming Saturday!!! Wooot!

Just so ya all know, I'll be away for a bit at the end of the month into next month, so won't be posting some (though I might, I'll have a computer with me), but even so, will miss most of what is on TCM from the 27th through the 8th (thank goodness for DVR, but hope it has enough room!!!).

I will have to agree with your grandmom, Constance is sooooo beautiful!!! And her voice is amazing especially when she is being a smart-arse. It took me twice as long to watch Tailspin and Ladies In Love with CB as i kept rewinding many scenes Connie was in. Boy is she a looker. If loving Constance (and sis Joan) is wrong, i don't wanna be right.

I honestly never knew much about Constance until a few years ago when she showed up on one of the SUTS days, and wow, I was totally GLUED to the screen! What a presence! I still like her sister Joan, for sure, but Constance stole my Bennett heart on that day! She was soooooo cool, sexy, smart and full of sass! Love her!

I'm a fan of Constance Bennett; she's certainly one of the great beauties of the '30s, and a pretty solid actress. Off-screen, I understand she could be a bit of a pain to work with (stories about her are legion).

The pre-Code Constance was one of the industry's highestpaid actresses and was big box office. I hope TCM shows more of those films of hers, especially from her peak era of popularity, 1930-31. Post-Code Constance fizzled for a bit, then had a brief revival in the late '30s thanks to "Topper" and "Topper Takes A Trip," in which she played sexy ghost Marion Kerby (and was a fine subject for Hal Roach's special effects whiz, Roy Seawright). To learn more about those special effects, go to http://community.livejournal.com/carole_and_co/160350.html.