Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marilyn Monroe's junior high school photo up for auction

CelluloidKid

*Marilyn Monroe's junior high school photo up for auction*

USA Today - ‎Oct 14, 2009‎

*A 1941 junior high school class photo that includes 15-year-old Norma Jean Baker -- who would become film star Marilyn Monroe -- is up for auction.*

The photo shows the teenager among a sea of 800 classmates at Ralph Waldo Emerson Junior High School in Los Angeles.

On the back, she signs her name with the inscription: ?To a super and swell friend (date at that) I mean it Bobby! Norma Jean Baker ?41.?

A consultant for RR Auction says the photo could bring more than $20,000 at the auction, which ends Thursday.

2009oct2_4l.jpg

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/10/a-1941-junior-high-school-class-photo-that-includes-15-year-old-norma-jeane-baker----who-would-become-film-star-marilyn-monr.html

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> *A 1941 junior high school class photo that includes 15-year-old Norma Jean Baker -- who would become film star Marilyn Monroe -- is up for auction.*

What is a 15-year-old doing in junior high school?

> On the back, she signs her name with the inscription: To a super and swell friend (date at that) I mean it Bobby! Norma Jean Baker 41.

Heck, I didn't know she was dating Robert Kennedy back then.

And the beat goes on . . . Strange, how no other female movie star at present has been able to capture the allure and status of Marilyn. So many starlets in over 50 years have come and gone and yet none have had the type of hype and glamour of Marilyn. What?s funny about all this is that Marilyn herself sort of set the standard for this type of stardom and nobody has been able to follow so directly in her footsteps. No other female film star was been able to pick up on this mantel of enticement. We?ve had nothing but foolish copies as Anna Nicole Smith and Pamela Anderson, besides scores of adult film stars who all want to claim or emulate the biggest of all blondes the movies have ever known . . . All to no avail. I remember how awful Jane Mansfield failed at getting anywhere near the status Marilyn had reached, only to become a joke and silly sideshow that in affect made Marilyn look sophisticated and superior on all grounds concerning a serious film career. Others that followed in the wake of Marilyn?s coming were Mamie Van Doren, Joi Lansing, Sheree North, Diana Doris and Barbara Nichols. While Marilyn will continue to have the largest following of fans, world wide of any past movie star, her personal life has become something of a second phase or category to her fame. Thereby, her life behind the camera has at times overtaken her movie star image. Of course, we will never get by all the innuendos and theories about who Marilyn really was or what really happened behind the private secnes. As of now we can surmise she was two people . . . The first one was a girl (perhaps in that school photo?) who should have been a simple housewife . . . The second a girl who got caught within the seduction of fame and whatever glory transpires along the way to becoming famous. I?ve never believed for one single minute that she was exploited to the point of not realizing what she was getting into. The proof is in the way she responded so unprofessionally, when she became a big star; becoming difficult and not so reliable from a working perspective. It was in a certain way her payback to a business that refused to accept her on a total serious level of thinking. All the pills and drugs she later depended upon were an escape she felt was needed to perhaps quell all the guilt and personal hardships of her short lived life. She is now nothing more than a grand symbol of something beautiful and yet so tragic. When looking at her life in general, it can almost be as if fate deemed her towards a short life, because she never found the right ingredient to make her feel so confident and happy. I remember something Susan Hayward once said, ?It?s your life away from the camera that has to workout . . . And not mix what you do on camera with who you really are.? One has to wonder if Marilyn represents the dark, horrid side of Hollywood or do you see her as a victim or doomed siren of a world that turned her into an eternal goddess? At least Garbo was smart enough to see the hand writing on the wall, packing up her movie star life and getting out of a situation that came to its final practical end. Marilyn just couldn?t see beyond all the hype that trapped her under the spotlight of being a celebrity. Most likely, she could have never coped with getting old. Too bad ?Joe D.? didn?t get there in time to save her . . . He was about the only one in her life who wanted to care or get her out from under the blinding spotlight of fame and all its hazards. If anybody knew the score, it was ?Joe D.?

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> > Nobody ever confused Marilyn with Albert Einstein

>

> Marilyn would never have married Einstein if he hadn't hit in 56 consecutive games.

I think you are wrong about Einstein. I think she married a baseball player. Einstein was the famous Russian film director. She might have dated him, but she never married him.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> I think you are wrong about Einstein. I think she married a baseball player. Einstein was the famous Russian film director. She might have dated him, but she never married him.

I think we're both wrong. Einstein invented the light bulb; coincidentally, Marilyn invented electricity.

The photo has been published before, so I guess they're selling the inscription. Re; Einstein. Nicholas Roeg's film of the play "Insignicance" imagines the two together. Not a great movie, but very interesting. As for the hype and the tragedy surrounding her, I have to admit to reading most of the books and wondering about it all, but bottom line is that I think of her as the skilled film actress she was, though I'm also aware many of her performances were pieced together in the editing process. But the films (even the so-so ones) are magic, and when I want my Marilyn, I go to the movies.

At the time she appeared in "Niagara," she and "Joe D." had just started going together. It was probably her most happiest of times. That movie single handledly made her a huge international star and thus her legend began with "Niagara." One of my favortie of all publicity angles about Marilyn and the movie was the big hype about her walk. Certainly, Marilyn went along with the whole idea that was later designated as "The Marilyn Walk." She was absolutely a beautiful "knock out" in that famous red dress that Bill Travilla designed for her. If anybody should be credited with having helped Marilyn's image, it was him. Over the years, Bill would hang a huge photo of Marilyn behind the desk in his office for all to see. The photo was of Marilyn in a gown he made exclusively for her that wasn't in any film. Marilyn kept most of the gowns he designed for her . . . Especially her most famous one, from "The Seven Year Itch."

A photo of 800 !! Someone must have played the game of "Where's Waldo" with that one to find a very young Marilyn Monroe.

The photo you submitted is all I care about so I copy and paste it to < My Pictures > folder. Thanks for saving me $20,000

Footnote: I *love* the pinheads who post HI RES photos of that which they are selling on Ebay. Why bid??? *LOL!!*

Nice synopsis, Movie Prof. I never thought about that before. Don't forget Madonna who thinks she IS MM. eek.gif

I don't really know what made MM so unique except maybe at the beginning she was naive and sincere and it showed. She may have "wised up" with time, but only from listening to others. When you grow up without proper guidence, you self doubt and trust others who seemingly care about your welfare. In other words, easily manipulated.

I've read so many books on MM and several on directors/actors who mention her. I like Billy Wilder's take on her that yes, she was a pia on the set, but it was all worth it when you saw what came out on film. He had no explanation for it, but he could "see" it. I guess we all "see" it, because artist renditions or poster photos just don't capture "it".

And btw, I am one of the few believers that Debbie Harry of the punk band Blondie is MM's daughter given up for adoption. She has the same quality and the dates fit.