Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

name of movie from the thirties chinese mother cooks a pot of dirt

Black and white, set in china during a famine and a war, and the emergence of the communist party(i think) i only saw this movie once as a child in the early sixties one scene i recall was during the famine everyone in the countryside is starving, and neighbors burst into the main characters home thinking they have food, they shove their way to the pot the woman is lethargically stirring, "it's the earth" they exclaim when they realize

she's cooking a pot of dirt. it made a big impact on me as a child but i can't think of the title or actors, some were asian and some i think were westerners.

Could it be Warner's 1935 "Oil for the Lamps of China", starring Pat O'Brien?...'cos the only other chinese movies I recall now are "The Good Earth" (1937) and "Dragon Seed", both MGM's based upon Pearl S. Buck's novels...I'd loved if Pearl S. Buck's Book "Imperial Woman" had been filmed in the Classic Age!!! Starring Ona Munson, i.e.!!

You may be right Bracken..."The Good Earth" is a real CLASSIC...but since I saw it when I was a boy, I cannot recall, only remember the Locust Plague...I taped it from TCM and haven't had the time of watching it. Anyway, I'd love to watch "Oil for the Lamps of China", "Dragon Seed" and "China"