Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

?Downhill Racer?, Wow! What a Thriller!

FredCDobbs

> {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> No no no. You're getting this all mixed up with Barefoot in the Park where he goes out to pick up everyone's lunch from the Eiger Deli and the S.I.A. steals all of their sneakers.

Oh.

So who gets murdered in this movie? What's the big disaster that is about to strike?

I pulled the ripcord and bailed out more than an hour ago. I?m watching a History Channel documentary on JFK.

So who got shot? Did Redford successfully escape and ski safely into Switzerland?

Did anyone survive the avalanche?

Did the Russian spies fall off the cliff?

Who was killed in the car wreck?

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> I pulled the ripcord and bailed out more than an hour ago. Im watching a History Channel documentary on JFK.

>

> So who got shot? Did Redford successfully escape and ski safely into Switzerland?

>

> Did anyone survive the avalanche?

>

> Did the Russian spies fall off the cliff?

>

> Who was killed in the car wreck?

I don't know, but Gregory Peck's character suffered severe psychological problems from that point on.

*So who got shot? Did Redford successfully escape and ski safely into Switzerland?*

Yes, he became a fugitive and joined up with Sidney Poitier.

They put together a team that became outlaws, donned a pair of *Sneakers* and a very fun and somewhat successful movie was made based upon one of their exploits.

• 1 month later...

Well, Fred, I watched it (out of the corner of my eye). There were some exciting downhill skiing shots, and some action of the romantic (?) kind.

However, it sure ended abruptly. Plus, the TCM article described Redford's character as being based on skiers Billy Kidd and Spider Sabich. Billy Kidd??? I don't remember ever hearing of him as being the least bit arrogant - just the opposite.

At least I now know where the jokes come in.

Now Jean-Claude Killy - he was another story. Those were some exciting skiing times for those of us parked in front of the TV.

Hey, do you remember the time, back in the late ?60s, or early ?70s, when a big international ski championship was taking place somewhere down in South America, and the ski slope for the jump was too steep, and the wind started blowing the skiers so much that many of them crashed to the ground? This was on either live TV or taped, but it looked like it was live.

Yes, I remember that. Seems to me that that?s what I saw on ABC during the live or taped show. Maybe it wasn?t in South America. Maybe it was at Oberstdorf Austria. I remember the guy going off the edge of the end of the slope, and I think that?s the same event that had to be canceled because of the wind. Or maybe I?m getting two different events mixed up. That was a long time ago.

Fred, the scene you remember probably happened - just has to be researched. Now, sports are all over the tv, 24 hours a day. Wide World of Sports was special and a highlight in our house.

Dabney Coleman was supposed to be in Downhill Racer. I wasn't watching closely enough to spot him. I suppose he had a full head of hair?