Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Original "Fame" coming to blu-ray in January!

Just got word that Warner Home Video will be releasing the original version of Fame in blu-ray disc, to come out on Jan. 26, 2010!

I've been holding off on ordering the blu-ray already available in the UK, just hoping that it would be released here in the USA as well.

Apparently, this version will include a CD sampler with 4 songs from the soundtrack.

It's obvious that this video release comes on the heels of the new updated film version that has been launched. I've often wondered if films like this one and say, "Saturday Night Fever" should be considered really musicals? Naturally, all the pop music and some dancing seems to give these movies a musical backdrop, but the overall reality to the storylines tends to make me feel otherwise. It's not that these movie should have a "happy ending" or such an upbeat mood. They just don't have that special transitional magic of song and dance that you usually get from most musicals. There is simply no intermediate structure between the songs and dances in these films. Still, the original Fame was a well made film, powerful in its depection about a striving temperament of those who reach towards what they hope will be the stars of fame and all its glories. My take is that Fame should be designated as a "music/drama."

• 6 months later...

I'll go one step further. Remaking Fame WAS pointless. The original - a fantastic drama with music - gave me admiration for the guts it takes to chase after one's dreams. The remake reminded me of a bunch of American Idol rejects hopelessly flailing about in the hopes that no one would notice just how awful they all were!