Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Issues with playing movies on the app

DBR

Has there been a change with the TCM app? Some movies listed only show Host Intro tab and don't have the play and Add to Watchlist tabs. For example, right now Pride and Prejudice, Dr. Zhivago, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof are unable to be viewed due to the above-mentioned issue. Please help.

• Like 1

Also having very same issue with at least 8-10 movies being unable to PLAY on the streaming app.

... have emailed to TCM with no reply.

Very frustrating since I am  not a new TCM subscriber but  this is a new issue. 

• Like 1

My family has loved TCM ever since I was little, the app included. However, only VERY recently has something been off with the app but ONLY on the amazon firestick. 'Some' movies are available while others only offer a 'host intro', some clips, and nothing else. As you can see in the image provided, when clicking on 'pride and predjudice' the only thing you can interact with is a button saying 'host intro', but no option to actually play the movie anywhere else. A lot of other famous films (such as wuthering heights, and the bishop's wife etc.) are also not available to watch when they used to be.

Interestingly enough, when we go to TCM's website or use the app on any computer/ipad there is suddenly NO problem when it comes to watching these films (pride and prejudice included)--the issue ONLY occurs on our firesticks.

We have updated both the firestick and the app, restarted, etc.---nothing changed. Our firestick is 2nd gen with the Fire OS of 5.2.9.2

Does this mean we need to get a new firestick (3rd gen) or would that even make any difference? I'm especially confused as to why the TCM app WILL show these movies on my computer/ipad with no issue, but only with the firestick(s) does it not allow us to see 'some' films. Please, if anyone has any info or advice it would help us a lot! We love watch TCM and want to continue to support it, but it's frustrating that only 'some' films are available while others are not.

pic.jpg

10 hours ago, Kev5140 said:

In the past few days many of the films on the Watch TCM app don’t have a Play button to click on. They have only a Host Intro button. Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

Yep and it's the ones I really want to watch.

Ah I have this VERY same issue and even made a topic in this forum about it less than a day ago. I hope this gets resolved for all of us.

That being said, are you having this issue on the amazon firestick? Or somewhere specific?

Cause in my case it's ONLY happening on my 2nd gen firesticks but, when I access TCM anywhere else (ie: through a computer or ipad) the movies that normally had 'host intro' only, now suddenly allow me to play the film no problem.

On 11/22/2022 at 5:31 PM, Kev5140 said:

I use Roku and I am having the same problem.

I see....hmm, then this really seems to be TCM's fault on all platforms. Or at least for firestick/roku---hopefully anyone else seeing this can chime in with which media they use to access the app just so we know what does and doesn't work.

It's still odd though that TCM allows us to watch these movies by accessing the site via computer/ipad but NOT by other means. Because of that, it leads me to believe this is more than a possible 'licensing' issue. Is there is any way for us to talk to those in charge of the app directly? OR I guess just hope they 'notice' us here in the forums? As this is a real problem and makes no sense why there are 'some' movies we can access but not others.

I have been having the same problem with my Roku. The movies either have "host into" or no option at all.  I have watched TCM every day since I retired and it's quite frustrating. This never happened before.

Guest TCMModerator1

Hello everyone

We have forwarded this issue to the appropriate department. We will let you all know if we hear something back! 

Thank you for your patience! 

TCMModerator1

For me sadly the issue still exists on the amazon firestick but I will either edit this post or make a new one should anything change. Still, glad to hear it's working for you KEV5140!

Still an issue on my Samsung Galaxy phone, which I use to watch TCM on-demand via Chromecast. Some previously inaccessible films now gave a "Play" button, thanks, but others - like "North by Northwest" - do not.

Quick update: '''some''' movies that were previously inaccessible are now available for me on the amazon firestick. Movies such as pride and prejudice, wuthering heights, the bishop's wife, etc. to name a few. However, going off of what PROUDDAD said, films like North By Northwest and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof are still showing 'host only' on my end as well, with no option to actually play the films.

While I am VERY happy that some movies are now playable to us TCM customers, it does make me a bit wary of whether or not this'll happen again.

I'll either edit this post or make a new one should ALL of the movies on the app become accessible again. However, I'd advise anyone with this problem who is still checking on this forum topic to keep a look out for the next month or so should this whole 'thing' happen again. Because if it does, then it helps to have TCM be aware of a continued issue.

That being said: here's hoping everything continues to go smoothly! Thank you TCM for listening to us thus far, please continue to help us and do good work! ❤️

EDIT: As of Nov.28 2022, the app still doesn't show some films such as North By Northwest, The shop around the corner, etc.--only giving 'Host Intro' but no option to play those films. At the very least the app made sure to change Annie from 'host intro' to now being playable in less than a day. Please, anyone else reading this, do let TCM know if you too are still having this problem on whichever platform you're viewing the app on.

Alright! Still been several days on my end and movies such as North by Northwest, The shop around the corner, and Bachelor Mother are not available on the amazon firestick.

I have checked the app for updates, deleted and reinstalled said app--but nothing changes.

That being said, I'm glad to see that the new movies coming in DO allow us to play them properly (which was not the case just a few days ago when even annie wouldn't play).

If anyone is reading this thread, do let us know if you are or aren't experiencing these issues still and on which platform. I love TCM, but it's a shame that there are still some movies showing 'host intro' only, but with no option to play for us paying customers.

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings