Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Brooklyn movie

Oceanblue

When. Ellis kept her marriage to Tony a secret from her family and friends in Ireland;  did anyone sense she might  be tempted to cheat?  I am glad she didn't.   Did her sister Rose die from a heart condition.  The movie was decent,but a little  disjointed in my opinion. I am really going to miss posting on here.

7 hours ago, Oceanblue said:

When. Ellis kept her marriage to Tony a secret from her family and friends in Ireland;  did anyone sense she might  be tempted to cheat?  I am glad she didn't.   Did her sister Rose die from a heart condition.  The movie was decent,but a little  disjointed in my opinion. I am really going to miss posting on here.

I loved Brooklyn when I saw it in the theater.  It's a gorgeous looking movie and well-acted. 

***Spoilers***   I do think Ellis was tempted to cheat with Jim when she went back to Ireland. She was snapped back into reality when she had that conversation nasty former boss.  Before that I think she was contemplating never going back to America maybe seeing a life with Jim that she could have had.  The irony I think was that part of her appeal was that she had picked up some American ideas and attitudes that was appealing to Jim, making her a little different from the local girls who never left Ireland.   Had she never left, Ellis may never have had a chance with Jim, if that makes sense.  I think Tony pressured or trapped her a bit before she went home, fearing that he may lose her if she went home.  She probably would have made the same choice in the end but it was pretty heart-breaking how she left things at home.

I read the book.  It's very close to the movie but the script improves on some minor points, I thought.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings