Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dealing with Loss and Depression from the removal of the TCM Board

yanceycravat

It just occurred to me that some of the folks on this board might suffer from loss and depression following a mourning period on the removal of the TCM Board.

Naturally we don't know how many people who use this board are shut-ins or lack the ability to socialize outside of the internet. It also doesn't account for folks who find a sense of community and what that loss will represent in the coming weeks and months.

I wonder if any of that was taken into consideration when the decision to close down was made. Or, in fact, any kind of a study has ever been made in regard to such actions across the internet.

Thoughts? - Answer quickly times is of the essence!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

It just occurred to me that some of the folks on this board might suffer from loss and depression following a mourning period on the removal of the TCM Board.

IMO, feeling depressed about The TCM Message Boards shutting down is totally unnecessary. Some board members have migrated to other forums such as The Silver Screen Oasis and the forum created by TopBilled. So members who have "bonded" with other members and want to stay connected -- you have options.

Board members who are attached to the "look and feel" of The TCM Message Boards -- that's life! Things change! Nothing lasts forever! I suspect that many of the old-timers (emphasis on "old") have experienced, suffered, coped with, and survived much more devastating losses during their lifetimes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Eucalyptus P. Millstone said:

IMO, feeling depressed about The TCM Message Boards shutting down is totally unnecessary. Some board members have migrated to other forums such as The Silver Screen Oasis and the forum created by TopBilled. So members who have "bonded" with other members and want to stay connected -- you have options.

Board members who are attached to the "look and feel" of The TCM Message Boards -- that's life! Things change! Nothing lasts forever! I suspect that many of the old-timers (emphasis on "old") have experienced, suffered, coped with, and survived much more devastating losses during their lifetimes.

tenor.gif?itemid=7614737

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

DON'T GET MAD, GET EVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wherever we go, it won't be the same. And I have my doubts about the longevity of other boards. It's sad. :(

They used to have a real big enchilada of a website fan base for TCM when I joined. After they got rid of all that stuff, I figured it wouldn't be long before they got rid of us too. We've been living on borrowed time, but it's been fun.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the boards years ago had a lot more active posters. But I was still surprised due to the upgrade they did just a few years ago. I figured if they spent the time and money on that, we'd be around for awhile.........Nope!

• Like 4

Hey I’m sad. For one thing, I’ve been on here for years and I’ve created some stuff exclusive to this board. It’s normal to feel a bit of let down when you stop doing something that’s filled a lot of time like that. For another thing, not everyone is migrating to the same boards, so it’s not going to be the same. The traffic will be less and there won’t be the same projects, etc. Of course Eucalyptus is correct that there is  no need to be depressed, and yes that’s life, so those are comforting words for us all. But we can accept whatever sadness we feel as a normal part of something we will make up — either “The Five Stages of TCM Forum Shutdown” or “Post TCM Message Board Letdown.”Whatever sadness we feel is normal. Well, I’m normal — you guys are weirdos!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Naturally we don't know how many people who use this board are shut-ins or lack the ability to socialize outside of the internet. It also doesn't account for folks who find a sense of community and what that loss will represent in the coming weeks and months.

I wonder if any of that was taken into consideration when the decision to close down was made. Or, in fact, any kind of a study has ever been made in regard to such actions across the internet.

Thoughts? - Answer quickly times is of the essence!

Thanks, Yancey, for your compassionate post. I think we'll all miss the Board and feel sad about the loss. But there may indeed be some among us who depend upon it more than others, to fulfill their everyday communication needs. Perhaps shut-ins, as you say; or posters with other limitations. A special community exists here, and it will be harder for some to cope than it will be for others. This Board has become a very special place, when compared to many of the other boards online.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Wherever we go, it won't be the same.

Not a bad or sad thing, as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, the folks most upset about the shutting down of The TCM Message Boards are:

• Dyspeptic rabble-rousers who love, Love, L-O-V-E whining and kvetching about politics -- on a movie forum! -- and mischievous provocateurs who perversely get off on polarizing and dividing forum members.

• Chatterboxes who prefer to gab about anything and everything except movies on a movie forum.

For those nudniks, migrating to a movie forum -- focused on movies -- is anathema and sad.

• Thanks 1

I agree that TCM's message board has been a special place. Thank you everyone for that.

I think they feel it's going 'with the the times' to discontinue their message board and focus more on other types of social media. 

I also think TCM the channel that people currently find on cable will be discontinued and it will all just move over to the Criterion streaming platform. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I think EPM's first comment up there about not getting depressed about all this was well considered and well stated.

However and with this being said, I DO have to admit I still feel JUST a little like the violinist in this clip from A Night to Remember as I witness this website slowly sinking beneath the currents of the Internet...

(...and heck, I'm not even a religious man!)  ;)

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

45 minutes ago, Eucalyptus P. Millstone said:

Not a bad or sad thing, as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, the folks most upset about the shutting down of The TCM Message Boards are:

• Dyspeptic rabble-rousers who love, Love, L-O-V-E whining and kvetching about politics -- on a movie forum! -- and mischievous provocateurs who perversely get off on polarizing and dividing forum members.

• Chatterboxes who prefer to gab about anything and everything except movies on a movie forum.

For those nudniks, migrating to a movie forum -- focused on movies -- is anathema and sad.

I admit that part would be an improvement! Still, there's nothing preventing people from doing that on other boards.........

46 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I admit that part would be an improvement! Still, there's nothing preventing people from doing that on other boards.........

Perhaps.

IMO, if forum members didn't enable provocateurs and General Chat magpies -- i.e., by ignoring them -- then perhaps the disrupters would get the message and either "get with the program" or go away.

In these final fleeting moments of existence for the message boards, I'd like to say a fond farewell to a few of the posters of the past who, for whatever reason, have not been here for a while.

There was Clore and Mr. Roberts, both bright and insightful in descriptions of their love for films of the studio system days. There was sweet Lori, who had such a love for John Garfield. There was the Movie Professor, long gone from these boards now, and the great, sometimes show biz insider knowledge, that he shared with us.

There was also Fred C. Dobbs, stubborn ol' Fred, whose love for films of the studio era could never be doubted.

I guess I'm having a senior brain freeze moment (yet ANOTHER one!) because other names aren't coming to me right now. My apologies to those many others left out, but never for a moment did I doubt their devotion to film. Perhaps some here would like to add a few poster names. And that's another reason I resent the disappearance of the thousands, perhaps even millions, of postings made on these boards over almost 20 years, where the writing of those long gone posters still lived on for those who cared to look for them.

I'm not going to list the names of current posters here for fear of offending any I fail to mention. But you know who you are.  For all who are reading this, it's been great knowing you. Thank you for your insights and helping to bring me a greater awareness of the multiple facets to film.

I'm normally not a joiner, the reason I'm uncertain if I will participate in another movie board. The enthusiasm that I saw on this message board in 2011 made me break my not joining rule. But, who knows. I may well break that rule again one day. One never quite knows what lies over the hill.

Analysis of the film: Modern Times (1936) - Film Studies

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Yes, I am very sad about the boards here closing, and I know of another who is absolutely devastated by the closing. But at the same time, due to the two new online homes, I am calmer than I thought I might be. This is the fifth or sixth  website I frequented that has shut down.  No, the new places are not as sleek as this one, but they will still have the same wonderful people, and that is something that always brought me back here time and again. And they can last as long as we all pitch in.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I agree that TCM's message board has been a special place. Thank you everyone for that.

I think they feel it's going 'with the the times' to discontinue their message board and focus more on other types of social media. 

I also think TCM the channel that people currently find on cable will be discontinued and it will all just move over to the Criterion streaming platform. 

Well, the channel did have a promo for the classic cruise the other night, so it will be with us for another year, at least.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

They used to have a real big enchilada of a website fan base for TCM when I joined. After they got rid of all that stuff, I figured it wouldn't be long before they got rid of us too. We've been living on borrowed time, but it's been fun.

something I noticed is the commercials are less fan centered than they used to be. There’s still the cruise and the film festivals but the commercials used to have more people in them having fun than they do now.

32 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

something I noticed is the commercials are less fan centered than they used to be. There’s still the cruise and the film festivals but the commercials used to have more people in them having fun than they do now.

Some may have noticed that the newest Wine Club commercials contain TCM employees. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

40 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

. . . No, the new places are not as sleek as this one, but they will still have the same wonderful people, and that is something that always brought me back here time and again. And they can last as long as we all pitch in.

". . . And they can last as long as we all pitch in."

tumblr_ndfzwvD8rk1ra01abo1_400.gif

Be guided by what he says!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

I guess I'm having a senior brain freeze moment (yet ANOTHER one!) because other names aren't coming to me right now. My apologies to those many others left out, but never for a moment did I doubt their devotion to film. Perhaps some here would like to add a few poster names.

Another longtime contributor who suddenly disappeared without a trace a few years back was "finance/DownGoesFrazier", Tom. A memorable character if ever there was.

(...and whose credo I always thought had to be: "Brevity is the soul of wit")

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

In these final fleeting moments of existence for the message boards, I'd like to say a fond farewell to a few of the posters of the past who, for whatever reason, have not been here for a while.

There was Clore and Mr. Roberts, both bright and insightful in descriptions of their love for films of the studio system days. There was sweet Lori, who had such a love for John Garfield. There was the Movie Professor, long gone from these boards now, and the great, sometimes show biz insider knowledge, that he shared with us.

There was also Fred C. Dobbs, stubborn ol' Fred, whose love for films of the studio era could never be doubted.

I guess I'm having a senior brain freeze moment (yet ANOTHER one!) because other names aren't coming to me right now. My apologies to those many others left out, but never for a moment did I doubt their devotion to film. Perhaps some here would like to add a few poster names. And that's another reason I resent the disappearance of the thousands, perhaps even millions, of postings made on these boards over almost 20 years, where the writing of those long gone posters still lived on for those who cared to look for them.

I'm not going to list the names of current posters here for fear of offending any I fail to mention. But you know who you are.  For all who are reading this, it's been great knowing you. Thank you for your insights and helping to bring me a greater awareness of the multiple facets to film.

I'm normally not a joiner, the reason I'm uncertain if I will participate in another movie board. The enthusiasm that I saw on this message board in 2011 made me break my not joining rule. But, who knows. I may well break that rule again one day. One never quite knows what lies over the hill.

Analysis of the film: Modern Times (1936) - Film Studies

Tom-- I not only appreciated your many posts sharing your knowledge of classic films with us--but also your vibrant support of American Democracy on the Off Topic pages.

And for that:

My Mother thanks you.

My Father thanks you

My Brother thanks you.  

And I thank you.

• Like 8

I often have trouble remembering all of  the posters who have come  and gone, especially those with whom I rarely interacted.

I do remember  Arturo. When he stopped  posting I assumed  he might be on a  trip/vacation or just taking  a break  for a while.

But  since he never returned I  assumed the  worst.  Sad  to think he is gone.

Linda_Darnell_-_publicity.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings