Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So it's goodbye from me, for now

Swithin

I'm leaving for London very early tomorrow morning (Tuesday) for eight days. I will not be logging on here during this Board's final days, since it cannot be accessed from abroad. I'll miss this Board but look forward to seeing many of you on the Classic Film/TV board or the Silver Screen Oasis. I will be Swithin on the former; Cuthbert on the latter. I think those two boards (which I think can be accessed from London) offer good options; if we find as time goes by, that they don't meet our needs/expectations, we can create a new board at some point. As I've said in other posts recently, I think the community we have created here is as important as the subject matter, so I hope those of us who have come to enjoy each other's company will stick together.

In another thread, to those of you may go elsewhere, I recently quoted Robert Donat's final words to Ingrid Bergman in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness:

"It is time to go, old friend. We shall not see each other again, I think. Farewell."

I'll probably be on again tonight, and perhaps in the early hours tomorrow.

But remember: We'll always have Paris!"

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Well at the risk of being anticlimactic, I made an interesting discovery. The TCM Board cannot be accessed from abroad, if you’re on a foreign server. However, I’m using my US phone over here, with T-Mobile partner data, and I can get on the Board! If I switch my phone to the WiFi in my friend’s house,  I get the old error message, as I do on my laptop.

So I will look in tomorrow. Bogie will be interested in this as well, as he’s unable to access the Board when he’s in London.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

Well at the risk of being anticlimactic, I made an interesting discovery. The TCM Board cannot be accessed from abroad, if you’re on a foreign server. However, I’m using my US phone over here, with T-Mobile partner data, and I can get on the Board! If I switch my phone to the WiFi in my friend’s house,  I get the old error message, as I do on my laptop.

So I will look in tomorrow. Bogie will be interested in this as well, as he’s unable to access the Board when he’s in London.

Adieu, mon ami.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

Swithin, I'm so glad you will be visible at those other locations. Are you involved with theater in any way?  Do you know Gavin Leigh?  He is a director of Shakespeare plays over there and once a month hosts a free Open Mic on Zoom.  Thank God they are not on youtube for my sake.  He is a wonderful guy and the participators are wonderful too.  Very supportive.  And lots and lots of fun. You have been involved with such things 'over there' and it just now occurred to me to ask you if you knew him.

56 minutes ago, laffite said:

Swithin, I'm so glad you will be visible at those other locations. Are you involved with theater in any way?  Do you know Gavin Leigh?  He is a director of Shakespeare plays over there and once a month hosts a free Open Mic on Zoom.  Thank God they are not on youtube for my sake.  He is a wonderful guy and the participators are wonderful too.  Very supportive.  And lots and lots of fun. You have been involved with such things 'over there' and it just now occurred to me to ask you if you knew him.

Thanks Lafitte. Don’t know Gavin, I have been involved in theater in NY, and have worked with many UK theater artists as well.

So glad you’ll still be posting as well! See you in another place!

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings