Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

STRANGE WORLD Could Be A Historic Box Office Bomb


MovieMadness
 Share

Recommended Posts

STRANGE WORLD Could Be A Historic Box Office Bomb

Disney has typically had a successful track record with releasing family-friendly films during the extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend, but Walt Disney Animation Studios' Strange World is shaping up to be one of the biggest bombs in the history of the studio's founding division.

The animated feature debuted with just $11.9 million across North American theaters over the weekend and just $18.6 million over the five-day holiday frame. This is an even lower opening than original projections which estimated earnings of $30 million to $40 million between Wednesday and Sunday.

Strange World also failed to capture international audiences as it earned just $9.2 million from 43 markets for a global start of $27.8 million.

With a $180 million production budget, Strange World is shaping up to be one of the biggest box bombs in Disney's history.

***************************************************

Here is another woke movie that has bombed badly, when will they learn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to be a big Disney fan and continued to see many of their  new animated films when they were now, but my interest waned since the start of the pandemic. Politics could have played a part in its failure, but at the same time, the film's story was nearly identical to Lightyear, which bled out earlier this year at the box  office, and shared the same glum mood and mixed reviews. Disney barely even advertised for the film. That budget and that opening ensure that it will be a bigger flop for Disney than the previous animated record holders, Treasure Planet and The Black Cauldron (which I admittedly loved)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Disney barely even advertised for the film. 

The utter lack of promotion--except, as with Lightyear, the rather one-sided in-house overexcitement for "We've got an LGBT character in it for REAL, this time!"--can't have helped, nor can advertising that the movie would be on Disney+ anyway within a month or two.  Of the one ad I saw (online), I honestly couldn't tell you what the movie was about.

It's been a problem lately, that since studios want to advertise movies on both theaters and streaming services, streaming movies aren't advertised until six weeks or less, while theatrical movies used to get six months of hype.  Nowadays, the releases are so lackadaisical, that I can see an ad for "Wakanda Forever", and "Cool, when's it coming out?"  "Oh, er...next week."

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

That budget and that opening ensure that it will be a bigger flop for Disney than the previous animated record holders, Treasure Planet and The Black Cauldron (which I admittedly loved)

And Treasure Planet is not only a surprisingly darn GOOD film--probably the best of the 00's, even more than Lilo & Stitch's desperately confused feature--it also made about three times as much as Strange World, on another Thanksgiving weekend with heavy competition from its own studio, and on only 3/4 of the same screens.

As to why DVD-raised kids today now swear to the skies that Hunchback of Notre Dame and Atlantis: the Lost Continent, let alone Black Cauldron, are "good" films, however, I....really couldn't say.  🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

Of the one ad I saw (online), I honestly couldn't tell you what the movie was about.

Exactly. I couldn't tell you what Strange World is about based on the ads.  It's as though Disney thought the scenes of the weird landscape were enough to get people interested.  Who are the characters, why are they there?  Give us some clue as to what the story is.  As someone with kids still at home, I'm always looking for something we can all go see.  Even the kids had no interest in Strange World

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

STRANGE WORLD Could Be A Historic Box Office Bomb

Disney has typically had a successful track record with releasing family-friendly films during the extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend, but Walt Disney Animation Studios' Strange World is shaping up to be one of the biggest bombs in the history of the studio's founding division.

The animated feature debuted with just $11.9 million across North American theaters over the weekend and just $18.6 million over the five-day holiday frame. This is an even lower opening than original projections which estimated earnings of $30 million to $40 million between Wednesday and Sunday.

Strange World also failed to capture international audiences as it earned just $9.2 million from 43 markets for a global start of $27.8 million.

With a $180 million production budget, Strange World is shaping up to be one of the biggest box bombs in Disney's history.

***************************************************

Here is another woke movie that has bombed badly, when will they learn.

 

The irony, everyone slept though it.  Zzzzzz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, EricJ said:

The utter lack of promotion--except, as with Lightyear, the rather one-sided in-house overexcitement for "We've got an LGBT character in it for REAL, this time!"--can't have helped, nor can advertising that the movie would be on Disney+ anyway within a month or two.  Of the one ad I saw (online), I honestly couldn't tell you what the movie was about.

It's been a problem lately, that since studios want to advertise movies on both theaters and streaming services, streaming movies aren't advertised until six weeks or less, while theatrical movies used to get six months of hype.  Nowadays, the releases are so lackadaisical, that I can see an ad for "Wakanda Forever", and "Cool, when's it coming out?"  "Oh, er...next week."

And Treasure Planet is not only a surprisingly darn GOOD film--probably the best of the 00's, even more than Lilo & Stitch's desperately confused feature--it also made about three times as much as Strange World, on another Thanksgiving weekend with heavy competition from its own studio, and on only 3/4 of the same screens.

As to why DVD-raised kids today now swear to the skies that Hunchback of Notre Dame and Atlantis: the Lost Continent, let alone Black Cauldron, are "good" films, however, I....really couldn't say.  🤷‍♂️

I liked Treasure Planet too, a rare highlight in a bad decade for Disney animation. Yes, I know I am in a distinct minority on Black Cauldron as I am when I admit that I found The Lion King and Mulan to be almost infuriatingly uneven.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

What Movie Madness is praying Disney will return to putting out.

Most of the people in the Video/Vault department want to see Song of the South given its due, at least as a non-confrontational DMC Exclusive (Disney's version of the Warner Archive) disk--as most of the protests dated back to the 90's days of public theatrical releases--but for years, Bob "Remus was a Slave!" Iger handed the no-decision down from on high.

And while I'm glad Iger managed to kick Bob Chapek out on his deserving hinder, part of me is thinking "Yeah, Iger's ba.....oh, wait.  Crap.  😣"

4 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, I know I am in a distinct minority on Black Cauldron as I am when I admit that I found The Lion King and Mulan to be almost infuriatingly uneven.

I have a rather difficult time as a Disney fan, when I express opinions that Beauty & the Beast was sophomorically goofy and neurotically misandric, that Frozen at least wasn't goofy, and that half of Lion King's money was from people who wanted to "prove" what devoted 90's Disney fans they now were after everyone could publicly feel good about admitting they liked Aladdin without worrying that their neighbors would call the police.

It will be a few more years, however, before I can come out of hiding and admit that Encanto had no plot known to man, and that Lin-Manuel Miranda has no idea how to write songs except to write static exposition as doggerel-rhyme lyrics.  But at least the heroine wasn't crabby and paranoid like Raya.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...